Author Topic: After OPEC cuts heavy oil, China teapot refiners pull U.S. supply to Asia  (Read 2493 times)

Offline thackney

After OPEC cuts heavy oil, China teapot refiners pull U.S. supply to Asia
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-oil-usa-idUSKBN15Z0RS
Feb 20, 2017

Chinese independent, or teapot, refiners are bringing in rare cargoes of North American heavy crude in a new long-distance flow that traders say has only been made possible by OPEC's output cuts and ample supplies in Canada and the United States.

In April, at least 1 million barrels of the heavy crude Mars, pumped from the U.S. Gulf of Mexico, are expected to land in China's Shandong province and 1 million barrels of a second unidentified heavy grade will arrive in China, trade and shipping sources said last week. This follows the arrival in January of 600,000 barrels of U.S. Gulf Blend, a heavy crude made up of a blend of various U.S. and Canadian grades loaded onto ships on the U.S. Gulf Coast, according to the sources and shipping data.

Heavy crude is typically more dense and viscous than other oil grades. Refiners with facilities that can process these grades value heavy crude because its lower cost results in higher margins from producing fuels from these grades.

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries' (OPEC) output cuts have targeted heavy crude, with linchpin producer Saudi Arabia and Venezuela reducing their exports of heavy crude. That has increased the price of Middle East heavy crudes for Asian delivery, making it economical for traders to ship crude from Russia, the Atlantic Basin and the United States to Asia.

"The OPEC cuts started from medium and heavy grades and Venezuela (a key supplier to China) is exporting less," said a Singapore-based crude oil trader.

The tightening heavy crude supplies are occurring at a time when demand for these types has increased after refiners upgraded their plants, the trader said. Heavy crude typically yields a higher percentage of residue fuels when first processed at a refinery and that residue is then reformulated into higher-value fuels such as gasoline and diesel fuel in so-called cracking units.

Since late last year, China, the world's second-largest oil consumer, has stepped up imports from North America, one of the few regions where oil production is growing....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: After OPEC cuts heavy oil, China teapot refiners pull U.S. supply to Asia
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:39:34 am »
This would not have been possible if the US had not opened up last year the ability of US crude to be sold internationally.

What is interesting to me is that the Chinese are not pulling its crude from the US West Coast where a lot of heavy crude is produced.

Guess their refineries are configured to accept the lower-priced sour heavies whose discounting overcome the transportation differentials.

I notice that some of this heavy crude came from Canada via Gulf Coast.  Once the Keystone is in place, there should be a lot more Canadian crude available to the Chinese.  Canada just does not have the pipeline infrastructure to accommodate going to the West Coast.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:26:08 am »
This would not have been possible if the US had not opened up last year the ability of US crude to be sold internationally.

What is interesting to me is that the Chinese are not pulling its crude from the US West Coast where a lot of heavy crude is produced.

Guess their refineries are configured to accept the lower-priced sour heavies whose discounting overcome the transportation differentials.

I notice that some of this heavy crude came from Canada via Gulf Coast.  Once the Keystone is in place, there should be a lot more Canadian crude available to the Chinese.  Canada just does not have the pipeline infrastructure to accommodate going to the West Coast.
I'm surprised they aren't wheeling and dealing with the Venezuelans.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 01:57:32 pm »

Last year?  What changed last year?

Crude Oil Exports by Destination
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_expc_a_EPC0_EEX_mbblpd_m.htm

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:01:30 pm by thackney »

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 01:05:47 pm »
I even think you posted this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-exports-first-freely-traded-oil-in-40-years-1452643962

Okay, that was actually signed late in 2015 but the first shipments were 2016.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-18/house-votes-to-repeal-u-s-oil-export-limits-senate-vote-next

I honestly forgot about it, it has made so little real difference in exports, other than bringing pricing between Brent and WTI back in line with real market conditions.  I guess if I was a Texas oil producers, I wouldn't say it made little difference...

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 02:44:15 pm »
Brings up another question: would Canadian oil that is sent to the Gulf Coast and exported there be subject to an interdict of the US that says US oil cannot be exported?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 03:09:09 pm »
Brings up another question: would Canadian oil that is sent to the Gulf Coast and exported there be subject to an interdict of the US that says US oil cannot be exported?
I think that might depend on whether the oil had been sold to the midstream company or was being transported by them for a Canadian firm.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 03:09:15 pm »

With the Gulf Coast continuing to import heavy crude from overseas, I see that as a theoretical discussion only.

But to your question, before the ban was lifted, oil that was first imported was allowed export.  Only domestically originated oil was previously banned, with some significant exceptions that allowed exporting anyways.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 03:11:41 pm »
I think that might depend on whether the oil had been sold to the midstream company or was being transported by them for a Canadian firm.

Midstream companies rarely own the oil,  I would say never but there is probably some exception to be found.  They are more similar to a railroad company, moving someone else's product. 

I don't think it would make any difference for allowing export.  It did not before the discussed ban was lifted.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 03:15:05 pm »
Midstream companies rarely own the oil,  I would say never but there is probably some exception to be found.  They are more similar to a railroad company, moving someone else's product. 

I don't think it would make any difference for allowing export.  It did not before the discussed ban was lifted.
Thanks!

C S Lewis

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 06:52:16 pm »
With the Gulf Coast continuing to import heavy crude from overseas, I see that as a theoretical discussion only.

But to your question, before the ban was lifted, oil that was first imported was allowed export.  Only domestically originated oil was previously banned, with some significant exceptions that allowed exporting anyways.
So GC refineries must not be able to handle the sour crude sent from Canada and shipped out of GC to Chinese.  Otherwise, it makes little sense to import heavy crude when there is some already there available on the GC.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 06:54:59 pm »
So GC refineries must not be able to handle the sour crude sent from Canada and shipped out of GC to Chinese.  Otherwise, it makes little sense to import heavy crude when there is some already there available on the GC.

No, the gulf coast refineries can handle all the heavy crude from Canada and still need more.  But the Keystone XL isn't built yet.

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 07:01:40 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

Also note that not all the Canadian Crude makes it all the way down to the Gulf Coast.  The midwest is taking some of that already.

+2 million BPD heavy sour crude refining capacity in the Gulf Coast.

http://www.eenews.net/assets/2015/02/23/document_pm_02.pdf

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 07:19:27 pm »
No, the gulf coast refineries can handle all the heavy crude from Canada and still need more.  But the Keystone XL isn't built yet.
That, and their present Government up there is more hostile to tar sands development.

C S Lewis

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 11:37:28 pm »
once again, if that were true then the Chinese woulD not be able to buy heavy crude at the GC like they did in this original article, right?