Author Topic: Attempting to Rationalize the Irrational: LA's Mayor Explains Why His Cops Shouldn't Cooperate with ICE  (Read 720 times)

rangerrebew

Attempting to Rationalize the Irrational: LA's Mayor Explains Why His Cops Shouldn't Cooperate with ICE

By Dan Cadman, February 13, 2017

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti appeared on MSNBC recently to restate his city's opposition to police cooperation with federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials.

Garcetti asserted during the interview, "I couldn't have my officers solving robberies, homicides, rapes, burglaries if they suddenly become deputized ... we would stop solving crimes in Los Angeles if we became immigration agents."

It is so exasperating and tiresome to constantly read and hear such deliberate mischaracterizations. No one wants LAPD officers actively taking on the work of ICE agents, most especially ICE. But I don't suppose it has occurred to Garcetti that cooperation between the two organizations might radically reduce the number of robberies, homicides, rapes, and burglaries LAPD has to contend with. Let me give an example of how cooperation might work in the real world:

LAPD officers obtain a warrant to search the house of a suspected fence, a receiver of stolen property. When they first arrive, they find the suspect in the front room with three other individuals talking and drinking beer. The suspect and the other three individuals are temporarily held in that room for officer safety reasons while the warrant is being served. The officers keeping them immobile during the search identify the other three individuals via systems checks as affiliated with a notoriously violent transnational gang known to have a substantial number of illegal-alien members, and all three have criminal rap sheets reflecting foreign birth.

http://cis.org/cadman/attempting-rationalize-irrational-las-mayor-explains-why-his-cops-shouldnt-cooperate-ice
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:57:53 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Garcetti, the DA who supervised the failed prosecution of O.J. Simpson
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

Garcetti, the DA who supervised the failed prosecution of O.J. Simpson

That was a collaborative effort of epic fail by everyone connected with that prosecution.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
That was a collaborative effort of epic fail by everyone connected with that prosecution.

There was once a concept of "responsibility" to describe a part of being in charge.

You can delegate authority, but you cannot delegate responsibility.

Also known as "the Buck Stops Here."

But on the other hand, this is politics. No consequences. He is now mayor. A promotion.

And this is above all, Lost Angeles

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
First of all Erica, they aren't your cops, the are the legal citizens and residents of the city of Los Angeles's Cops, and Further I would point out that they are the cops of the the entire legal population of the State of California, as it was once pointed out to me that all police officers in the state take the same oath of office and thereby are cross jurisdictional as long as they are on duty, this oath:
https://nixle.com/alert/4841716/
And the very first thing they swear to is to uphold the Constitution, I believe that would include defending our borders against illegal invaders.