Author Topic: Churchill essay on the possibility of alien life discovered in US college  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Winston Churchill’s essay Are We Alone in the Universe? was penned the year before he became prime minister, and reveals his keen interest in science

Churchill was the first prime minister to hire a science adviser and created government funding for labs, telescopes and technology which led to post-war discoveries and inventions from molecular genetics to x-ray crystallography.

It might never have seen the light of day. Lost and long forgotten, the unpublished essay by Winston Churchill was penned a year before he became Britain’s prime minister. The matter to which he applied his great mind? Not politics, not the battlefield, but the existence of alien life.

The 11-page article was probably intended for the now defunct Sunday newspaper the News of the World, but for reasons unknown the essay remained with his publisher and only recently resurfaced at the US National Churchill Museum at Westminster College in Missouri.

In the essay, Churchill ponders the conditions that make for a habitable world, and on considering the vast number of stars perhaps circled by alien planets, comes to the conclusion that the answer to the essay’s title question, Are We Alone in the Universe?, was surely a resounding “no”...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/15/winston-churchill-essay-alien-life-discovered-us-college-are-we-alone-in-the-universe?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+AUS+v1+-+AUS+morning+mail+callout&utm_term=213512&subid=20101412&CMP=ema_632

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I think it's very neat. One more reason to like Sir Winston  :seeya:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, it is!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I read the headline completely differently ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

I agree

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

And, you could be correct.

geronl

That Churchill thought alien life might be found at a US College?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It stands to reason, right?

Men in Black made a good case for aliens hiding in plain sight in the postal service, but have you ever really looked at the average college professor?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Well he was pretty tight with The Doctor.

Offline uglybiker

It stands to reason, right?

Men in Black made a good case for aliens hiding in plain sight in the postal service, but have you ever really looked at the average college professor?

I think you're confusing alien life with intelligent life.
Which in the case of college professors is a resounding 'NO'.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

rangerrebew

Winston Churchill on Aliens: 1939 Essay Discovered
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 11:43:59 am »
By Sarah Lewin, Space.com Staff Writer | February 15, 2017 01:18pm ET

193 46 24 19 161 MORE

Partner Series
Winston Churchill (shown here at his daughter's wedding in September 1935) wrote an essay on alien life in 1939 when Europe was on the brink of war, shortly before he became prime minister of the United Kingdom.
Credit: Fox Photos / Stringer

Winston Churchill was known for his leadership during World War II, but a newfound essay on alien life reveals another side of him, one that was deeply curious about the universe.

"I, for one, am not so immensely impressed by the success we are making of our civilization here that I am prepared to think we are the only spot in this immense universe which contains living, thinking creatures," he wrote in the newly uncovered essay, "or that we are the highest type of mental and physical development which has ever appeared in the vast compass of space and time."

http://www.livescience.com/57894-winston-churchill-essay-on-aliens-discovered.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:44:37 am by rangerrebew »