Author Topic: PBS, NEA, AmeriCorps on the chopping block in Trump’s first budget  (Read 1631 times)

rangerrebew

PBS, NEA, AmeriCorps on the chopping block in Trump’s first budget
posted at 7:01 pm on February 18, 2017 by John Sexton

Share on Facebook

The New York Times reported yesterday that the White House budget office has prepared a list of programs that could be eliminated in Trump’s first budget proposal. Among those programs are the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the National Endowment for the Arts and Humanities and AmeriCorps. From the NY Times:

Work on the first Trump administration budget has been delayed as the budget office awaited Senate confirmation of former Representative Mick Mulvaney, a spending hard-liner, as budget director. Now that he is in place, his office is ready to move ahead with a list of nine programs to eliminate, an opening salvo in the Trump administration’s effort to reorder the government and increase spending on defense and infrastructure…

Many of those programs have been attacked by conservatives since the Republican “revolution” of 1994. Led by then-Speaker Newt Gingrich, the House of Representatives at the time repeatedly went after funding for the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, whose supporters dragged Big Bird and Kermit the Frog to Capitol Hill to make their case…

Other agencies on the budget office’s list of cuts include the Overseas Private Investment Corporation and the Corporation for National and Community Service, which finances programs run by AmeriCorps and SeniorCorps. The memo also proposed reducing funding for the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation, a nonprofit organization focused on urban development.

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/02/18/pbs-nea-americorps-on-the-chopping-block-in-trumps-first-budget/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:19:05 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: PBS, NEA, AmeriCorps on the chopping block in Trump’s first budget
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 02:34:46 pm »
It sends a message, but will not do much in getting our budget under control.

There are a lot bigger fish out there, and they are represented by entitlements.

I would target the Disabilities welfare program as fraud is rampant.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:38:37 pm »
It sends a message, but will not do much in getting our budget under control.

There are a lot bigger fish out there, and they are represented by entitlements.

I would target the Disabilities welfare program as fraud is rampant.

Pick the low-hanging fruit, first.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:07:30 pm »

Hotair ^ | 02/18/2017 | John Sexton

SOURCE: http://hotair.com/archives/2017/02/18/pbs-nea-americorps-on-the-chopping-block-in-trumps-first-budget/

The New York Times reported yesterday that the White House budget office has prepared a list of programs that could be eliminated in Trump’s first budget proposal. Among those programs are the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the National Endowment for the Arts and Humanities and AmeriCorps. From the NY Times:

Work on the first Trump administration budget has been delayed as the budget office awaited Senate confirmation of former Representative Mick Mulvaney, a spending hard-liner, as budget director. Now that he is in place, his office is ready to move ahead with a list of nine programs to eliminate, an opening salvo in the Trump administration’s effort to reorder the government and increase spending on defense and infrastructure…

Many of those programs have been attacked by conservatives since the Republican “revolution” of 1994. Led by then-Speaker Newt Gingrich, the House of Representatives at the time repeatedly went after funding for the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, whose supporters dragged Big Bird and Kermit the Frog to Capitol Hill to make their case…

Other agencies on the budget office’s list of cuts include the Overseas Private Investment Corporation and the Corporation for National and Community Service, which finances programs run by AmeriCorps and SeniorCorps. The memo also proposed reducing funding for the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation, a nonprofit organization focused on urban development.

You probably don’t have to guess where this is going. Every time someone threatens to cut PBS funding, progressives roll out Big Bird. In fact, Obama for America did this in 2012 after Mitt Romney said he would cut PBS funding. Here’s an ad they created which has been viewed more than 3 1/2 million times:

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE VIDEO

The real problem with zeroing out these programs isn’t that it will kill Big Bird. Sesame Street could make it in the free market without the $500 million a year CPB gets in taxpayer funds. The real problem is that these cuts, which together amount to $2.5 billion a year, won’t put a real dent in our growing debt.

As the debt clock approaches $20 trillion dollars, it’s important to remember that government spending is overwhelmingly dedicated to two big entitlement programs: Medicare and Social Security. We spend nearly $900 billion dollars a year on Social Security and over $900 billion a year on Medicare and associated programs (Medicaid, CHIP, etc). Since that is where the real money is, addressing our debt without touching these big programs is impossible.

But back when he was a candidate, Trump said a number of times that he would not be cutting Social Security or Medicare. This clip shows about four instances where he publicly promised no cuts to these programs.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE VIDEO

Cutting funds to CPB and the NEA could be a symbolic victory for conservatives who have long argued these programs are wasteful. I get that. But unless this is just a first step, one which leads us to eventually addressing the real drivers of our debt, these cuts aren’t going to make much of a difference.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 03:20:20 pm »
If Trump wants to make a dent in our debt, he will have to forget the idea of stimulus and stop sending foreign aid to every government with its hand out -- including, but not limited to, nations that sponsor terrorism.

And as for Social Security -- one word:  "privatization." 

We also have to get the government out of the charity business.  Government sucks at charity.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:23:50 pm by Applewood »

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:18:00 pm »
Finally

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 08:07:31 pm »
Pick the low-hanging fruit, first.
Plus you eliminate a font of leftist propaganda in so doing. Not sure why any conervative would oppose that.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:07:28 pm »
abolish them completely

geronl

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 09:08:45 pm »
Plus you eliminate a font of leftist propaganda in so doing. Not sure why any conervative would oppose that.

Also, a lot of agencies and departments issue grants and funding to leftist groups. The government might be a bigger source of left fundng than the foundations

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:18:47 pm »
Also, a lot of agencies and departments issue grants and funding to leftist groups. The government might be a bigger source of left fundng than the foundations

Oh it is. the Foundations get most of their budgets from grants and lawsuits against govt. Sierra and Tides being two examples.

geronl

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:21:38 pm »
Oh it is. the Foundations get most of their budgets from grants and lawsuits against govt. Sierra and Tides being two examples.

Pigford. The government loses cases on purpose in order to do spread the wealth...

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 11:38:56 pm »
I love it!!!!  How about shutting down TSA and allowing the airlines and airports to manage security?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 12:59:21 am »
It is a good start..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 06:07:43 am »

I remember reading an article about this very thing quite some time ago.  As I remember it, they stumbled onto this scam completely by accident.  Whichever organization it was had prepared what they determined was a real live lawsuit with real merit.  Once the government paid off like a slot machine the light bulb went off.  It soon became standard operating procedure, rinse and repeat and then go to the bank. 

Offline Remington Snodgrass

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 06:16:38 am »
Oh Yeah! DO I HEAR A HALLELUJAH? AMEN!

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 06:26:06 am »
I love it!!!!  How about shutting down TSA and allowing the airlines and airports to manage security?

:beer:

I'm curious about this one too.  The last time I heard a figure I think it was something like 1.2 million people fly domestically each day.  I probably have the number wrong but I do remember it was stunning when I heard it.

But doing a quick calculation in my head that is something like 425 million people a year going through airports, and that is for domestic flights only.  And wasted time being one of my pet peeves it's easy to figure over $ 4 billion a year is wasted waiting on the fraudulent TSA.  That is valuing each person's time at $10/hour, which is low, and figuring the TSA only adds an hour of wasted time per airport trip, which is also low.

Eliminating the TSA not only saves real taxpayer dollars from the budget but also saves time/value dollars for passengers.  I call that a win/win, which means Liberals would hate the idea.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 06:40:15 am »
I remember reading an article about this very thing quite some time ago.  As I remember it, they stumbled onto this scam completely by accident.  Whichever organization it was had prepared what they determined was a real live lawsuit with real merit.  Once the government paid off like a slot machine the light bulb went off.  It soon became standard operating procedure, rinse and repeat and then go to the bank.

Not to mention orgs like the refugee organizations that make bank on tax dollars directly

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 06:40:57 am »

I don't know. The airlines haven't been giving one confidence lately....

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/21627-this-is-your-captain-freaking-pilot-rants-about-her-divorce-politics-in-meltdown-before-takeoff

geronl

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 07:06:34 am »
The question is whether the Congress will do it.

Offline PoloSec

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 04:47:00 pm »
The question is whether the Congress will do it.

I can almost guarantee a number of Republicans will fight against it, you know the usual suspects in the Senate especially, still far too many Rino's in congress.
Facts, Reason, Logic and Common Sense when consistently applied ultimately leads to the proper conclusion!  It worked for our Founding Fathers.

geronl

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 04:50:22 pm »
I can almost guarantee a number of Republicans will fight against it, you know the usual suspects in the Senate especially, still far too many Rino's in congress.

The reason those things still exist is Republicans.