Author Topic: John Bolton In Running For National Security Advisor After Petraeus Drops Out  (Read 1772 times)

rangerrebew

John Bolton In Running For National Security Advisor After Petraeus Drops Out
Photo of Saagar Enjeti
Saagar Enjeti
Reporter
2:08 PM 02/18/2017

Former Amb. John Bolton is back in the running to replace former National Security Advisor Mike Flynn, The Wall Street Journal reports.

The remaining final candidates for the position also include Retired Lt. Gen Keith Kellogg and Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster. Retired Army Gen. David Petraeus was said to be on President Donald Trump’s original shortlist, but pulled himself from the running out of concern he would not be able to have full control over national security decision making in the White House.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/18/john-bolton-in-running-for-national-security-advisor-after-petraeus-drops-out/#ixzz4Z8ifJJbx

Offline Applewood

A smart president would have John Bolton in his administration.

Trump is not that smart.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
He's a good man, for sure. As Nat Sec Advisor? He'll do a good job, without doubt.

I have one very small thought.

Dept of Defense is, despite it's name, the sword of the US. Nat Sec Advisor is supposed to be the shield bearer.
Bolton is more swordsman than shieldbearer. So, if he takes the post, look for a far more active and aggressive national security policy.

This is, at the moment, not a bad thing.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
He's a good man, for sure. As Nat Sec Advisor? He'll do a good job, without doubt.

I have one very small thought.

Dept of Defense is, despite it's name, the sword of the US. Nat Sec Advisor is supposed to be the shield bearer.
Bolton is more swordsman than shieldbearer. So, if he takes the post, look for a far more active and aggressive national security policy.

This is, at the moment, not a bad thing.

My problem with Bolton is that he's another one of these guys who is hot for any war any where. He was hot to get into Libya and he's been hot to get into Syria.

It would be nice to see some restraint and concern for the costs of these elective fights which only increase in cost because we can never get out of them.

Online libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bolton has been supportive of Trump from the early going, he was smart. Somewhere, he should be recognized for that but I'm unsure of the right position.

Offline dfwgator

Bolton has been supportive of Trump from the early going, he was smart. Somewhere, he should be recognized for that but I'm unsure of the right position.

As long as Bolton understands that he's not the boss.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Ted Cruz is encouraging President Trump to nominate Bolton.

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2017/02/ted-cruz-says-john-bolton-is-the-perfect-man-for-national-security-adviser

Ted Cruz has been a consistent supporter of Trump since be won but not sure that Trump likes him much or that he has influence.  Trump's vanity may not let him be influenced by a man so much smarter.  (oops)
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Wingnut

Hopefully Bolton will get a slot somewhere.  Since Christie has the Food Taste slot sewn up we can rule that out!

Offline TomSea

Ted Cruz has been a consistent supporter of Trump since be won but not sure that Trump likes him much or that he has influence.  Trump's vanity may not let him be influenced by a man so much smarter.  (oops)

Perhaps one can inform us of the great landmark achievements of Senator Cruz, (oops).

Offline Remington Snodgrass

I REJOICE! Thanks be to God. Amb Bolton is appropriate for any such post.
God is in His heaven.

Offline Frank Cannon

I'm not so thrilled about Bolton. His default move is always war.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand

I personally have mixed feelings as well.  But here comes the but . . .

We're in this crazy cycle of cleaning up old messes while simultaneously dealing with new developments as they come.  You get a lunatic like Carter to be followed by Reagan.  Then you have Clinton's foreign policy that would change as bi-weekly polls are released, followed by Bush.  Now we have to follow Obama's hug-a-terrorist policies, with something.

As an analogy, you come home one day and find your house is on fire.  There are options, lots of options.  But most of us would agree that that very best option is to put out the fire as Step One.

Assuming for the sake of argument that we put out the fire.  The next step that follows is to start rebuilding the house to repair the fire damage.  And about the time the damage is repaired the pendulum swings again and another Liberal comes along in the next election cycle to start another fire.  Here we go again, the cycle repeats.

Is it possible to break the cycle?  I don't know.

Is it possible Bolton is the man to break the cycle?  I don't know that one either.

Offline TomSea

I personally have mixed feelings as well.  But here comes the but . . .

We're in this crazy cycle of cleaning up old messes while simultaneously dealing with new developments as they come.  You get a lunatic like Carter to be followed by Reagan.  Then you have Clinton's foreign policy that would change as bi-weekly polls are released, followed by Bush.  Now we have to follow Obama's hug-a-terrorist policies, with something.

As an analogy, you come home one day and find your house is on fire.  There are options, lots of options.  But most of us would agree that that very best option is to put out the fire as Step One.

Assuming for the sake of argument that we put out the fire.  The next step that follows is to start rebuilding the house to repair the fire damage.  And about the time the damage is repaired the pendulum swings again and another Liberal comes along in the next election cycle to start another fire.  Here we go again, the cycle repeats.

Is it possible to break the cycle?  I don't know.

Is it possible Bolton is the man to break the cycle?  I don't know that one either.

Well said, our foreign policy becomes schizophrenic with the changes in presidential leadership, night and day.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
John Bolton In Running For National Security Advisor After Petraeus Drops Out

And I personally hope he wins!  He is EXACTLY what we need in that post at the moment!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
And I personally hope he wins!  He is EXACTLY what we need in that post at the moment!

President Trump is going to suggest he trim that 'stash way down...and get a haircut.

Will be interesting if that would be a deal-breaker for Bolton.     

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
President Trump is going to suggest he trim that 'stash way down...and get a haircut.

Will be interesting if that would be a deal-breaker for Bolton.   

If that is what Trump is holding over him then Trump is well and truly and IDIOT!

We ARE talking about the security of our nation here! NOT the personal appearance of any one person.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:42:01 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:44:15 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

Well, any good negotiator knows to never take any option off of the table.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Well, any good negotiator knows to never take any option off of the table.
Anybody who knows negotiating, knows that.

And they know the concept of "Peace Through Strength"

Eight years of Obama's half-measure wars, following GW Bush retreat/surges

.....and we seem to have lost the will to prevail.

And prevail does NOT mean neocon wars. It means stern application of Strength, to avoid wars.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

Some times military action is needed but if one gets into brushfires, little skirmishes, it really hurts the cause when the big one comes.

Offline Remington Snodgrass

I have been a constant admirer of Amb Bolton for quite some time, now. I heve maintained for over 60 years now, that the only time American troops must be employed, is when the US Dept of State falls down on the job; Amb Bolton seems to share that view, at least in part. Bolton is a tough negotiator, if you recall his work in the UN. My family and I are in favor of a strong man. Mr Obama and his Quislings have done enough harm to the US. Let us jettison ALL of the holdovers from Mr Barack Hussein Benito Millhouse Quisling Obama's days in office. :amen: