Author Topic: Flu Shot Facts & Side Effects (Updated for 2016-2017)  (Read 941 times)

rangerrebew

Flu Shot Facts & Side Effects (Updated for 2016-2017)
« on: February 19, 2017, 12:31:02 pm »
Flu Shot Facts & Side Effects (Updated for 2016-2017)
By Rachael Rettner, Senior Writer | February 16, 2017 05:30pm ET

Seasonal flu shots are recommended for everyone ages 6 months and older, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Credit: AZP Worldwide | Shutterstock

The seasonal flu shot is a yearly vaccine administered to protect against the flu, or influenza.

In the United States, flu shots are recommended for everyone ages 6 months and older, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The flu can be a very serious illness, especially in young children, adults ages 65 and over, those with underlying health conditions, and pregnant women.

http://www.livescience.com/40279-flu-shot-information.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:31:49 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: Flu Shot Facts & Side Effects (Updated for 2016-2017)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:48:14 am »
This old bag gets a flu shot every year and a pneumonia shot every five years.   Doctor's orders.  And so far, not even a cold this year. Usually, I get something after I've been to Florida.  Last year, some putz behind me on the plane coughed on me.  2 days later I was sick.  This year, I was lucky.  No one coughed on me.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 02:21:59 am »
This old bag gets a flu shot every year and a pneumonia shot every five years.   Doctor's orders.  And so far, not even a cold this year. Usually, I get something after I've been to Florida.  Last year, some putz behind me on the plane coughed on me.  2 days later I was sick.  This year, I was lucky.  No one coughed on me.

I didn't get the flu shot nor the pneumonia shot.  It was reported that this years flu shot is only 43% effective...so I didn't get it.  Wouldn't ya know it ... had company over from across the state, and now I'm sick!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 05:26:24 am »
I didn't get the flu shot nor the pneumonia shot.  It was reported that this years flu shot is only 43% effective...so I didn't get it.  Wouldn't ya know it ... had company over from across the state, and now I'm sick!

Statistically, I don't believe these vaccines are all that effective.  The vaccine changes every year, presumably according to which strains of flu are predicted to be prevalent.  But the predictions are really guesswork.  Scientists may conceivably miss a strain -- which is  the strain I'm guaranteed to get. 

But I think any vaccine will afford you some protection in the sense that while you still may get the flu, it may not be as bad as it could have been.  That's usually how it is with me.  The flu may not be as severe, or it may go away sooner. 

Anyway, here's hoping you will get well very soon.