Author Topic: China suspends North Korean coal imports, striking at regime’s financial lifeline  (Read 1421 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

China suspends North Korean coal imports, striking at regime’s financial lifeline

By Simon Denyer February 18 at 1:38 PM

BEIJING — China will suspend all imports of coal from North Korea until the end of the year, the Commerce Ministry announced Saturday, in a surprise move that would cut off a major financial lifeline for Pyongyang and significantly enhance the effectiveness of U.N. sanctions.

Coal is North Korea’s largest export item, and also China’s greatest point of leverage over the regime.

The ministry said the ban would come into force Sunday and be effective until Dec. 31.

Read More At: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/china-suspends-north-koreas-coal-imports-striking-at-regimes-financial-lifeline/2017/02/18/8390b0e6-f5df-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_nkoreacoal-925am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.4e62b036bd61

Wingnut

We should send them some of our coal.   :smokin:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Easier to turn theirs into clinkers.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline dfwgator

Ruh Roh!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Ruh Roh!

Ruh roh is right. I imagine Kim Jon-Un is feeling a bit ronery right now.

Seriously though, China's not stupid. They know they're putting the squeeze on NK by doing this, and know NK gets squirrely when they get cut off. So what's the chess move here?
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I've no idea if it is correct but one commenter said Kim Jong-Nam, the one that was poisoned was China's man. He was "under China's protection" to use the direct quote. Others are saying this is about the missile launch the other day.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:31:13 am by TomSea »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Ruh roh is right. I imagine Kim Jon-Un is feeling a bit ronery right now.

Seriously though, China's not stupid. They know they're putting the squeeze on NK by doing this, and know NK gets squirrely when they get cut off. So what's the chess move here?

Force an incident with South Korea which will enable China's plans for territory. China will claim certain territory as a security measure to "prevent" war and then never relinquish that claim.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Force an incident with South Korea which will enable China's plans for territory. China will claim certain territory as a security measure to "prevent" war and then never relinquish that claim.
Force an incident, sure. But China has invaded Korea before. Only stopping short of the DMZ will prevent a bigger conflict.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Force an incident, sure. But China has invaded Korea before. Only stopping short of the DMZ will prevent a bigger conflict.

I don't mean China invading North Korea. I mean North Korea doing something they were manipulated into with South Korea by the Chinese. With China's endgame being able to solidify territory claims in the South China Sea.

11 billion Estimated barrels of oil in the South China Sea
190 trillion Estimated number of cubic feet of natural gas in the South China Sea
$5.3 trillion Total annual trade passing through the South China Sea

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjpnq7lkpzSAhUJ1GMKHeFsCdEQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cfr.org%2Fglobal%2Fglobal-conflict-tracker%2Fp32137%23!%2Fconflict%2Fterritorial-disputes-in-the-south-china-sea&usg=AFQjCNFtzATDZhWV_e-WEu9ZUtAEIOTO9w&sig2=VCZ9IMhRuxV_SXxDYeshlg

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Maybe the environmentalist movement will be good for something for once.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

I don't mean China invading North Korea. I mean North Korea doing something they were manipulated into with South Korea by the Chinese. With China's endgame being able to solidify territory claims in the South China Sea.

11 billion Estimated barrels of oil in the South China Sea
190 trillion Estimated number of cubic feet of natural gas in the South China Sea
$5.3 trillion Total annual trade passing through the South China Sea

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjpnq7lkpzSAhUJ1GMKHeFsCdEQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cfr.org%2Fglobal%2Fglobal-conflict-tracker%2Fp32137%23!%2Fconflict%2Fterritorial-disputes-in-the-south-china-sea&usg=AFQjCNFtzATDZhWV_e-WEu9ZUtAEIOTO9w&sig2=VCZ9IMhRuxV_SXxDYeshlg

The Chinese intervened on behalf or the PRK during the Korean War, otherwise, Korea would have been forcefully unified and not as a Communist country. That gave the Chinese some degree of hegemony there. That war hasn't ended, only a cease fire agreement exists, not a treaty. One of the reasons we have troops there to this day is that cease-fire.
If China were to invade North Korea, we would likely not intervene. We have no agreement with the PRK to defend them. Were China to take over the PRK, but not go past the DMZ, likely we would do nothing, but if they re-invaded the South and crossed the line, the war could go 'hot' again. Then the US would have to decide whether to back South Korea or withdraw, leaving the Chinese within spitting distance of Japan.
You are right in that whatever they decide the control of the South China sea and the Resources there is their aim. The question is one of how far they are willing to go to achieve what ends.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The Chinese intervened on behalf or the PRK during the Korean War, otherwise, Korea would have been forcefully unified and not as a Communist country. That gave the Chinese some degree of hegemony there. That war hasn't ended, only a cease fire agreement exists, not a treaty. One of the reasons we have troops there to this day is that cease-fire.
If China were to invade North Korea, we would likely not intervene. We have no agreement with the PRK to defend them. Were China to take over the PRK, but not go past the DMZ, likely we would do nothing, but if they re-invaded the South and crossed the line, the war could go 'hot' again. Then the US would have to decide whether to back South Korea or withdraw, leaving the Chinese within spitting distance of Japan.
You are right in that whatever they decide the control of the South China sea and the Resources there is their aim. The question is one of how far they are willing to go to achieve what ends.

It is probably nothing more than China pulling North Korea back into the confines of China's carefully considered strategy.

Online Smokin Joe

That could be. It is, after all, an economic sanction and not an act of war.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
That could be. It is, after all, an economic sanction and not an act of war.

You see it that way. I see it that way. The Chinese see it that way.

Will Lil Kim see it that way?

An act of war is in the eye of the beholder. And the beholder in this case has a very tenuous grip on reality.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline thackney

We already do.

Table 7. U.S. Coal Exports
https://www.eia.gov/coal/production/quarterly/pdf/t7p01p1.pdf
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline dfwgator

You see it that way. I see it that way. The Chinese see it that way.

Will Lil Kim see it that way?

An act of war is in the eye of the beholder. And the beholder in this case has a very tenuous grip on reality.

Japan saw our economic sanctions as an "Act of War", hence Pearl Harbor.