Author Topic: The evil of Japan during WWII  (Read 2142 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The evil of Japan during WWII
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:39:48 am »
The evil of Japan during WWII
Posted on February 10, 2017 by dirkdeklein

Many people forget that the Japanese war crimes were as bad if not worse then those committed by the Nazi’s albeit it on a marginal lesser scale. Beside the crimes and experiment committed by Unit 731 there were a great number of other atrocities, including cannibalism.

In “The Knights of Bushido”, Lord Russell of Liverpool describes an unprovoked murder of two Dutch civilian administrators at Balikpapan in Borneo after the Japanese invaded that Dutch colony in 1942. An eyewitness to the murders gave the following horrific account:

“I saw a district officer and a police inspector, both in uniform, in conversation with a Japanese Army officer. During the interview, the officer had been continually ill-treating the district officer (a Dutchman), slapping his face and hitting him all over his body with the scabbard of his sword. Suddenly, the officer drew his sword and hacked off both the Dutchman’s arms just above the elbows, and then both his legs above the knees. The trunk of his body was then tied to a coconut tree and bayoneted until life was extinct. The Japanese officer then turned his attention to the Dutch policeman, who had his arms and legs hewed off in like manner. The policeman struggled on to the stumps of his legs and managed to shout ‘God save the Queen’

Continued: https://dirkdeklein.net/2017/02/10/the-evil-of-japan-during-wwii/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: The evil of Japan during WWII
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:20:42 am »

Japan's fanaticism and brutality had no equal before and during WWII.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

geronl

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 05:21:26 am »
The war crimes in Manchuria alone should be enough to unsettle any stomach.

or maybe "war crimes" isn't apt since Japan was not a signatory of the Geneva Conventions

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:53:22 am »
The Germans might have scale and efficiency, but the Japs were utterly random and brutal. Most WWII vets I was around that fought the Germans didn't really care for them particularly, but weren't especially emotional about it. The ones that fought the Japs hated them till the day they died and didn't feel one whit of regret that we nuked them.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:40:44 am »
Read With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge.  He was a mortar man in the Pacific.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:59:59 pm »
The war crimes in Manchuria alone should be enough to unsettle any stomach.

or maybe "war crimes" isn't apt since Japan was not a signatory of the Geneva Conventions

There are areas in China where Anthrax is still endemic due to the Japanese using it against the population.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 01:50:48 pm »
Genocide is not a word often used in the high school history books when covering the war in the Pacific.  Why it is not used is a darned good question.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 02:53:06 pm »
I think the Chinese still remember.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:48:31 pm »
I think the Chinese still remember.

Yep, I'll bet they do.  So do the Filipinos.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 03:50:21 pm »
Yep, I'll bet they do.  So do the Filipinos.

And the Koreans.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 03:57:22 pm »
An allied prisoner of the Germans stood about a 90% chance of surviving captivity, while one in three died in Japanese prisons.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 04:43:34 pm »
And the Koreans.

They had occupied Korea long before WW2, forced Koreans to use Japanese names, tried to wipe out Korean history and heritage and finally when the big war came used them as chattel slaves and 'comfort women'.

Adding insult to injury, FDR threw Koreans and Taiwanese into internment camps right along with the Japanese for a long while.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 04:51:00 pm »
Genocide is not a word often used in the high school history books when covering the war in the Pacific.  Why it is not used is a darned good question.
The American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor museum is in my town, and I'm happy to say they have tried to educate both American and Japanese youth about what happened. Last summer they hosted a group of Japanese students and a TV crew. Needless to say, the visitors learned some things they'd never been taught in school!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 05:07:13 pm »
The Japs were evil past WWII. Anyone ever drive a Hondamatic? Designed by SATAN!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:07:50 pm by Frank Cannon »

geronl

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 06:03:13 pm »
The American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor museum is in my town, and I'm happy to say they have tried to educate both American and Japanese youth about what happened. Last summer they hosted a group of Japanese students and a TV crew. Needless to say, the visitors learned some things they'd never been taught in school!

Japanese schools purposely white-wash their own history while playing up how they suffered.

geronl

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 06:06:02 pm »
The Japs were evil past WWII. Anyone ever drive a Hondamatic? Designed by SATAN!

The Japanese domestic version was far weaker though. lol

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 08:29:56 am »

I'm veering off on a side topic here, but I'll bet good money not a one of them have anything good to say about MacArthur.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 12:52:06 pm »
Not sure, hondo. I'll ask the curator.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org