Author Topic: New Wolverine film "Logan" looks to have anti Trump messages  (Read 5098 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: New Wolverine film "Logan" looks to have anti Trump messages
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 09:44:42 pm »
Norse God of mischief if I recall.

Heroes of old... men of renown...

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 09:58:14 pm »
Cheers - and a very nice post it's embedded in, too.  :beer:

I do keep meaning to have a damned good read of your stuff (other than what you link here, that gets read.).

Thanks EC. I'm on that 2 way street too. :)
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

geronl

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 10:02:12 pm »
Not sure what will happen with Wonder Woman in terms of her standalone this Summer.  Rumors are that it is an unmitigated mess, same as with the Justice League movie.

Some bigwig of the film says the Amazons are lesbians, that oughtta sell tickets.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:54 pm »
Cheers - and a very nice post it's embedded in, too.  :beer:

I do keep meaning to have a damned good read of your stuff (other than what you link here, that gets read.).

@EC, @To-Whose-Benefit? Wrote a book on Vikings. It's pretty good, albeit a little gory. I know you are a writer too and writers have to support each other.  :beer:

Vikings are neat, when they got married they were given 5 kittens as wedding presents.  8888sitting kitty 888heartkitty   88888walking kitty 8888sitting kitty 8888spinning cat
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:11:28 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 10:15:48 pm »
Some bigwig of the film says the Amazons are lesbians, that oughtta sell tickets.

They are creations of the Greek Goddess Aphrodite and the Gods of Olympus according to the mythological canon, which the trailer indicates they have kept.

That they might be lesbians has been suggested in recent years, but in old canon - they are immortal beings who cannot reproduce and therefore have no need or desire for sex according to DC mythology.  Aphrodite supposedly created their race to safeguard the world and have no dealing with men, but Hercules seduced the queen and was able to get their race enslaved.

If the movie decides to play the lesbian thing up, then it will likely tank in terms of ticket sales.

People want escapism in these comic films, they do not want a PC lecture - which is something the newest Robin Hood that is now filming intends to do.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 10:42:51 pm »
They are creations of the Greek Goddess Aphrodite and the Gods of Olympus according to the mythological canon, which the trailer indicates they have kept.

That they might be lesbians has been suggested in recent years, but in old canon - they are immortal beings who cannot reproduce and therefore have no need or desire for sex according to DC mythology.  Aphrodite supposedly created their race to safeguard the world and have no dealing with men, but Hercules seduced the queen and was able to get their race enslaved.

If the movie decides to play the lesbian thing up, then it will likely tank in terms of ticket sales.

People want escapism in these comic films, they do not want a PC lecture - which is something the newest Robin Hood that is now filming intends to do.

Yes indeed.

James Reston's book Warriors of God about Richard the Lion Heart and Saladin amuses itself with the idea that Richard had carried on a gay affair with his cousin Phillipe of France.

https://www.amazon.com/Warriors-God-Richard-Lionheart-Saladin/dp/0385495625/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487716394&sr=1-1&keywords=Richard+and+Saladin

The sources have been around for 800 years and yet, the idea that Richard could have been AC/DC didn't surface until 1948.

Against his Doctors orders, after a crossbow bolt and incompetent medical treatment mangled his arm, he then spent his final week in bed, summoning whores to entertain.

Seems like a bit of work to go to if he was bisexual (and the other historians missed it all those years) just to have himself buried back 'in the closet'.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:43:18 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 05:35:30 pm »
Maybe it is because I`m not into comics, but I find all the discussion about the historical accuracy of comics to mythology somewhat humorous. It is a comic. This is like discussing the scientific accuracy of the spider species in Spiderman or an astrophysicist complaining about the direction Superman came from Krypton.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:36:03 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 05:52:08 pm »
Scripts are written and finalized before a film is even shot.  The filming for this began in April or May of 2016.  It finished filming in August.

To make this flick an anti-Trump manifesto is stupid. 

Not everything is about Trump, except those with an agenda to push.
I wonder who has issues with the producers? Making the movie out to be political--either way-- could cost half the audience.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 05:54:09 pm »
they are immortal beings who cannot reproduce and therefore have no need or desire for sex according to DC mythology. 
How come it's always the 'hot' chicks?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 07:07:33 pm »
I borrowed 2 Captain America movies.

Watching them was like being served a ground glass sandwich.

For the sake of 'Whatever' I then borrowed 2 Avengers (might have been X-Men, I can't recall) movies.

15 minutes of one of them was 14 minutes more than I needed as the cigar store Indian Actors cavorted around in body paint and prosthetics, (one woman, I swear, appeared to be wearing a bra and panties under dark blue paint and pasted on leaves or scales or something) bashing monsters that might have sold copies of Weird Tales magazine in the 30s, but . . .

As for Cap'n A, it was what I expected. Nothing resembling a plot. Dialogue as limp as over cooked pasta, and one Mano a Mano "hand to hand set to with the villain.

WHY, please someone explain this to me, WHY, are we supposed (and this stupid ain't just Marvel, its' everywhere in Action Films,) to have any sympathy for a hero Stupid enough to toss his gun, bring on the stunt men, and duke it out with the bad guy when the Fate of the World hinges on his Defeating the bad guy?

Thousands of blanks fired through machine pistols, CG, and Bruce Lee.

And as Mike J. Fox said:

"The Shark Still Looks Fake."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:23:32 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 07:14:31 pm »
For the sake of 'Whatever' I then borrowed 2 Avengers (might have been X-Men, I can't recall) movies.

... (one woman, I swear, appeared to be wearing a bra and panties under dark blue paint and pasted on leaves or scales or something) ...

That would have been Mystique, in the X-Men movies.   10294
Let it burn.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2017, 10:14:47 pm »
Saw the flick last night and it was exactly as I expected in terms of this bogus alt-right attempt to politicize the movie as 'anti-Trump'.

There is NOTHING in there that is anti-Trump - and it was very clear that the script and shoot did not include anything in there to reflect Trump's nomination or campaign issues.

The fact that a biotech company is exploiting what they deem to be unintelligent workers to do stuff to kids grown in labs has plausible connections to the sex trafficking that the cartels in conjunction with a corrupt Mexican government engage in now.

It was a very dark, gritty and somber flick.  Nothing to really cheer about at all.  Not your average Marvel comic book movie.  In fact, this movie is more like No Country for Old Men than a comic book flick, but it has nothing to do with trying to promote an anti-Trump message.  As I figured, the headline and article in the OP is complete and utter Bovine Excrement.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2017, 10:57:23 pm »
Saw the flick last night and it was exactly as I expected in terms of this bogus alt-right attempt to politicize the movie as 'anti-Trump'.

There is NOTHING in there that is anti-Trump - and it was very clear that the script and shoot did not include anything in there to reflect Trump's nomination or campaign issues.

The fact that a biotech company is exploiting what they deem to be unintelligent workers to do stuff to kids grown in labs has plausible connections to the sex trafficking that the cartels in conjunction with a corrupt Mexican government engage in now.

It was a very dark, gritty and somber flick.  Nothing to really cheer about at all.  Not your average Marvel comic book movie.  In fact, this movie is more like No Country for Old Men than a comic book flick, but it has nothing to do with trying to promote an anti-Trump message.  As I figured, the headline and article in the OP is complete and utter Bovine Excrement.

Cheers. You are the third person to say that it is decent - while I like a bit of bubble gum movie now and then, I do prefer one that is not all Bay'd up.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 02:14:52 am »

Totally agree. Early matinee tonight and it was great and not political. It is one of those types of movies anyone will find something in it, but it certainly wasn't what was implied in this article.

And everyone, no, this is not a superhero movie for kids.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2017, 02:21:07 am »
How violent/gory is it @INVAR  @AbaraXas ?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ABX

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2017, 02:33:32 am »

It wasn't Saw, but compared to other movies of its genre, with the exception of Deadpool, it was more than the others by a yuge! margin.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2017, 02:34:22 am »

It's extremely violent.  Gory?  Well, it;s not as ridiculous as say... 300 with slow motion blood flying, but if you understand Logan's claws are indestructible razors that can cut through metal pipe in one swipe - and put that in a real-world setting, you'll have 'Logan'.

Think 'No Country For Old Men' meets The Dark Knight.

Not a comic book movie for kids at all.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2017, 03:00:29 am »
Thanx for the info. @AbaraXas  @INVAR. I don't know what changed in me, maybe it was the PTSD drug I was taking, but I can't seem to be able to watch violent/gory movies. I think the last movie I liked was on Netflix. Stardust. I mostly watch documentaries now. I watched The 300 when it first came out and watched all of it. Tried again a few months ago. Couldn't hack it. (pun intended)
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley