Author Topic: New Wolverine film "Logan" looks to have anti Trump messages  (Read 5105 times)

Offline JannTosh

New Wolverine film "Logan" looks to have anti Trump messages
« on: February 18, 2017, 03:20:08 am »
Like Children of Men, its vision of the future has political teeth. In passing, we see massive lines of Latino deportees at an intimidating border wall. The mutant minority has mostly died out, and a Limbaugh-esque radio host says he’s sick of talking about their extinction. We learn of an American biotech firm that’s exploiting the uneven relationship between the U.S. and Mexico by setting up a lab conducting horrific experiments south of the border. Their victims are overwhelmingly black and brown — but so are nearly all of the non-Wolverine heroes of the movie. As is true of most great X-Men stories, the film is a story about the forgotten, the desperate, and the marginalized finding strength in one another. Logan is a superpowered protest against Trumpism — and a chillingly effective one, at that.

Excerpt from a review

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: New Wolverine film "Logan" looks to have anti Trump messages
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:31:54 am »
Ridiculous and stupid to extrapolate the supposition that this film is 'anti-Trump'.

I'm no Trump fan - but this Logan movie was written, shot, edited and finished long before Trump was President.

In fact, it was filming on location two months before Trump even announced he was running for President.

None of this has anything to do with Trump or his policy statements on the wall, which were made AFTER the film finished principle photography.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline JannTosh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:39:16 am »
Ridiculous and stupid to extrapolate the supposition that this film is 'anti-Trump'.

I'm no Trump fan - but this Logan movie was written, shot, edited and finished long before Trump was President.

In fact, it was filming on location two months before Trump even announced he was running for President.

None of this has anything to do with Trump or his policy statements on the wall, which were made AFTER the film finished principle photography.

just going by what this review says. I believe the film was being shot during the presidential election so it is not too unbelievable

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:05:07 am »

just going by what this review says. I believe the film was being shot during the presidential election so it is not too unbelievable

Scripts are written and finalized before a film is even shot.  The filming for this began in April or May of 2016.  It finished filming in August.

To make this flick an anti-Trump manifesto is stupid. 

Not everything is about Trump, except those with an agenda to push.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 04:06:04 am »
Oh gee whiz....another "Evil American Corporation Doing Terrible Things to Various Brown People" flick.  Boy, I sure can't wait to see this undoubtedly great work of cinema!!!!!  :whistle:

Offline MOD8

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:11:48 am »
I need to confer with my fellow Mods to see if this might be the most unusual topic we have seen...
Please hold.

Offline MOD4

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 04:22:54 am »
 :pondering:

geronl

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:54:06 am »
Scripts are written and finalized before a film is even shot.  The filming for this began in April or May of 2016.  It finished filming in August.

Probably correct, but script changes can occur during filming too.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:16:22 am »
Probably correct, but script changes can occur during filming too.

The movie is based on a 2008 comic book series "Old Man Logan" and "Death of Wolverine" storylines. 

Does everything have to be made to reflect the political, or can it just be what it is?

It has nothing to do with defying Trump, or commenting on Trumpism.

It's an X-Men superhero movie for adults who grew up on the comics and wanted something more dark and realistic ala The Dark Knight and Deadpool.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 11:28:21 am »
I half expect to see claims that both Citizen Kane and Mr Smith Goes to Washington are both about Trump now this can of worms has been opened.  :shrug:

Reviewer is an idiot who shouldn't be reviewing movies if they know so little about the process.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 01:27:10 pm »
Now I know! that my fourth-grade teacher was anti-trump in 1969. Going on and on about Agent Orange...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 08:50:05 pm »
Why anyone would even watch one of these moronic comic book films is beyond me, much less that they'd care enough to look for hidden texts in one or maybe play the soundtrack backwards to listen for messages from the lord of hell.

We're talking about the comic book industry here.

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/marvel-comics-reveals-a-female-thor/?_r=0

Get a Grip people.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 09:20:36 pm »
Why anyone would even watch one of these moronic comic book films is beyond me

Some of us like the escapist fantasy entertainment they provide. 

And some of us appreciate watching the stuff we read as kids make it to the big screen.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 09:24:41 pm »
Why anyone would even watch one of these moronic comic book films is beyond me, much less that they'd care enough to look for hidden texts in one or maybe play the soundtrack backwards to listen for messages from the lord of hell.

We're talking about the comic book industry here.

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/marvel-comics-reveals-a-female-thor/?_r=0

Get a Grip people.
Ummm, escapism?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 10:18:02 pm »
Some of us like the escapist fantasy entertainment they provide. 

And some of us appreciate watching the stuff we read as kids make it to the big screen.

I was a huge X-men/comic book fan right up until the Age of Apocalypse story arc around 92ish. They were well on their way into leftism by that point. The movies I stopped watching when they completely destroyed the Dark Phoenix story. that was right about the time I stopped paying Hollywood to propagandize me.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 11:26:53 pm »
I was a huge X-men/comic book fan right up until the Age of Apocalypse story arc around 92ish. They were well on their way into leftism by that point. The movies I stopped watching when they completely destroyed the Dark Phoenix story. that was right about the time I stopped paying Hollywood to propagandize me.

I was a huge DC fan - Batman specifically, and Superman and Wonder Woman respectively back in the days post Adam West.  My younger brother was into Marvel, Spiderman and the Hulk, Fantastic 4 in the mid to late 70s.  Lots of kid fights over which superheroes were 'better'.  The 78 Superman movie was truly as close to the comics we were reading at the time, and the animated Spiderman is still regarded as the best by my younger bro.

I got out of reading the comics after Miller's Dark Knight Returns and the debacle that followed "Death of Superman'.  I did get the Killing Joke, and consider that to be one of the absolute highlights of the franchise.    Where the DC industry is now and comics in general is just another perverted cesspool the populates HollyWierd and the comics are just another avenue of indoctrination.

Nolan got the Batman franchise where fans always wanted it to go - and it appears Snyder will take it to the same place Schumacher did - albeit in a different manner.  I think the Justice League movie is going to suck worse than the Batman vs Superman debacle.  Not sure what will happen with Wonder Woman in terms of her standalone this Summer.  Rumors are that it is an unmitigated mess, same as with the Justice League movie.  I can say that I was totally unimpressed with the first trailer they released for it.

I think the public is going to tire of the Superhero genre soon, and it may go the way of the Western in the near future.

That said - Marvel is hitting the bar pretty high.  We really enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movie and the sequel looks to be as funny and fresh as the first one.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 07:53:19 pm »
I was a huge DC fan - Batman specifically, and Superman and Wonder Woman respectively back in the days post Adam West.  My younger brother was into Marvel, Spiderman and the Hulk, Fantastic 4 in the mid to late 70s.  Lots of kid fights over which superheroes were 'better'.  The 78 Superman movie was truly as close to the comics we were reading at the time, and the animated Spiderman is still regarded as the best by my younger bro.

I got out of reading the comics after Miller's Dark Knight Returns and the debacle that followed "Death of Superman'.  I did get the Killing Joke, and consider that to be one of the absolute highlights of the franchise.    Where the DC industry is now and comics in general is just another perverted cesspool the populates HollyWierd and the comics are just another avenue of indoctrination.

Nolan got the Batman franchise where fans always wanted it to go - and it appears Snyder will take it to the same place Schumacher did - albeit in a different manner.  I think the Justice League movie is going to suck worse than the Batman vs Superman debacle.  Not sure what will happen with Wonder Woman in terms of her standalone this Summer.  Rumors are that it is an unmitigated mess, same as with the Justice League movie.  I can say that I was totally unimpressed with the first trailer they released for it.

I think the public is going to tire of the Superhero genre soon, and it may go the way of the Western in the near future.

That said - Marvel is hitting the bar pretty high.  We really enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movie and the sequel looks to be as funny and fresh as the first one.

Having invested over 30 years investigating All the original, centuries old literature and historical evidence I could find, Everywhere, to write my fictional series of a post Viking Age, 13th Century Norse culture as the Crusades were falling apart, I can assert in the most unequivocal of terms that Marvel turning Thor into a woman is about as puerile, PC, and insulting as could be imagined.

Thor would Not be amused. As for myself, I find Marvel's unbridled arrogance and ignorance disgusting.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:54:15 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 08:00:08 pm »

Having invested over 30 years investigating All the original, centuries old literature and historical evidence I could find, Everywhere, to write my fictional series of a post Viking Age, 13th Century Norse culture as the Crusades were falling apart, I can assert in the most unequivocal of terms that Marvel turning Thor into a woman is about as puerile, PC, and insulting as could be imagined.

Thor would Not be amused. As for myself, I find Marvel's unbridled arrogance and ignorance disgusting.

That was just ridiculous. Not beyond the theoretical bounds of lore logic - Loki changed sex at least twice (and gave birth both times) but just uncalled for.

Fun fact - any Viking woman who died in childbirth was considered to have been taken to Valhalla. An oddly respectful viewpoint.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 08:04:57 pm »
That was just ridiculous. Not beyond the theoretical bounds of lore logic - Loki changed sex at least twice (and gave birth both times) but just uncalled for.

Fun fact - any Viking woman who died in childbirth was considered to have been taken to Valhalla. An oddly respectful viewpoint.

Taken to Vallhol? When and where? Source please.

Fun Question.

Who and what was Loki.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 08:09:54 pm »

Well, being a former DC fan, I'm not exactly going to take issue with your statement.  However, DC comics has become just as PC, stupid and abhorrent as Marvel has.  From what I get summarized to me from fans still reading the comics, it's a mess as much as their Cinemaverse is right now, if not worse.  I stopped reading the comics after the Death of Superman in the 80s.

I was speaking specifically about Marvel hitting the bar pretty high in terms of their film universe thus far.   The moment Spiderman becomes Miles Morales on screen or Thor becomes female - then I will pass on seeing their films.  So far I have enjoyed a lot of them.  I think Guardians and Captain America (1 & 2) are my faves from their efforts.  Not a fan of the Avengers - but then I never liked Justice League in the comics or cartoons either.  I was never into into hero-team-ups.

I still do avail myself to some of the Marvel comic arcs for Star Wars however.  The last series 'Darth Vader' was very good.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 08:10:27 pm »

Fun Question.

Who and what was Loki.

Norse God of mischief if I recall.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 08:15:25 pm »

Fun Question.

Who and what was Loki.

It was in the book Icelanders in the Viking Age (an easy recall since it's the only book about the Vikings I've really read cover to cover. Ties daily life into the sagas - you'll like it).

Not Thor's brother, despite what the comics say.  :laugh:

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 08:34:00 pm »
Norse God of mischief if I recall.

Loki wasn't a God. He was a halfling.

His father was Farbauti, a name translated by at least one source as 'Anger Striker'

This places his father as a Giant, the mortal enemies of the Aesir and especially Thor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A1rbauti

His mother was Laufey, or Nal, a minor character in Asgard mentioned in only one of the thular, or lists.

Odin swore blood brotherhood with Loki in an attempt to stave off future trouble with Loki, not something the Father of the Gods would do with his son.

http://burningblood.livejournal.com/10342.html

The concept of Odin and Loki being blood brothers usually gets referred back to two kennings for Loki given in the Skáldskaparmál ("bróður Býleists ok Helblinda" with the latter demonstrated and the former theorised to be bynames of the Old Man), plus verse 9 of Lokasenna.

9. Loki kvað:

"Mantu þat, Óðinn,
er vit í árdaga
blendum blóði saman?
Ölvi bergja
lézktu eigi mundu,
nema okkr væri báðum borit."

Auden and Taylor translate L9 thus:

"Remember, Odin, in the olden days
What blood-brothers we were:
You would never have dreamed of drinking ale
Unless it was brought for us both."

Thorpe offers this interpretation:

"Odin! dost thou remember
when we in early days
blended our blood together?
When to taste beer
thou didst constantly refuse,
unless to both ´twas offered?"

This is Bellows' take:

"Remember, Othin, | in olden days
That we both our blood have mixed;
Then didst thou promise | no ale to pour,
Unless it were brought for us both."

Pretty much all the translations agree on that one: At some time in the past, Loki and Odin mingled their blood ritually; blood-brotherhood is only mentioned specifically by Auden and Taylor, but some kind of kinship oath is most definately implied. During this oath, Odin gave some undertaking never to drink unless drink were also offered to Loki. Given the high status of alcohol and the sharing of drink in the culture of the time this itself is quite a biggie. Alcohol was the preferred entheogen of the heathen, the very blood of a God. Communal drinking is a major feature of many important rites, and in some cases seems to serve to place the compotators half-in-half-out of the world of the spirits in a very literal sense.

(Incidentally, here is what I got when I had a go at it:

Loki quoth:
"Remember you that--Odin!--it was we (who) in days of old
blended our blood together?
Ale-tasting permit not, would you
Save us it was for both borne")

However, Loki is nowhere else referred to as Odin's "blood-brother" and there are no accounts of such a rite (that I know of). This has lead some to suggest that the whole blood-brother thing is an attempt to make Odin look bad by having Him chum up to this ethically divergent Jötun (with the "brother of Helblindi" bit glossed over as Odin happening to share a kenning with some unknown Jötun), and others to suggest that Loki is Odin's brother in the more usual sense, and the blood-brother thing is an attempt to make Loki look bad by making His relation to Odin more uncertain.

I'm not convinced by either. For one thing, both Odin and Loki's parents are named elsewhere in lore, and those names differ in all cases. To the best of my knowledge, you never see Bor referred to as Loki's father, or Laufey referred to as Odin's mother. For another thing, most people seem to skip over stanza 16, which also supports the adopted-kin angle. Here, Idunna is taking her turn at cooling things out by trying to placate Her husband Bragi:

16. Iðunn kvað:

"Bið ek þik, Bragi,
barna sifjar duga
ok allra óskmaga,
at þú Loka
kveðir-a lastastöfum
Ægis höllu í."

Auden and Taylor render this as:

Idun:
"Think, Bragi, I beg, of our children,
Of all our kith and kin
And do not bandy abuse with Loki
In Aegir's banquet hall"

--suggesting that Idunna fears harm to her family from Loki if Bragi yanks Loki's chain. But Bellows gives the verse as:

"Well, prithee, Bragi, | his kinship weigh,
Since chosen as wish-son he was;
And speak not to Loki | such words of spite
Here within Ægir's hall."

--which puts a rather different complexion on things. Here the term "wish-son" (adopted son) is used instead of "blood-brother." Similarly, Thorpe gives:

"I pray thee, Bragi!
let avail the bond of children,
and of all adopted sons,
and to Loki speak not
in reproachful words,
in Ægir´s hall."

When I had a word-by-word go at it with various online dictionaries, it seemed like Thorpe and Bellowes were closer to the mark. Here's what I got:

Idunn quoth: "Beg I you, Bragi! Kinship support, and all wish-kin;
To you Loki [may] utter abuse (against us) Aegir's hall within."

The interesting word here is "óskmaga," which gives "wish-kin"--adopted kin.

These days of course it is quite normal for modern writers to pull kennings, associations, and indeed whole swathes of counterfeit "knowledge" out of their various orifices and chuck them around as if they were not only supportable from the lore but self-evident and universally accepted ("...and so we can see that Loki--who is really a masculinisation of the Morrigan--stole the Brisingamen, which being a vaginal symbol is actually the Holy Grail--from the phallocentric forces of Odin, who is really the Cyclops from the Odyssey, thus proving that Odysseus is really the Great Goddess in Her aspect of a blah blah blah..." well, you know how they do go on). However, when Lokasenna was composed and set down you couldn't get away with that sort of thing. You had to be on the same page as your audience or they wouldn't put up with you. You used kennings that people would understand (maybe with a bit of unpacking), you didn't just make up any old rubbish and hope that people would be too credulous or ignorant to spot it. The intended audience for Lokasenna must therefore have been assumed to understand and accept Loki and Odin as having some kind of ritual adoptive kinship.

Although only L9 actually talks about mingling blood, the reference to "óskmaga" in L16 seems to support the idea of some kind of adoptive kinship, with the sharing of ale and the Gods' forebearance in the face of Loki's ill behaviour suggesting that this was a big, serious ritual commitment, one which even Odin couldn't simply set aside.

It is true that we're still left with a relationship only alluded to in the Eddas, but it seems odd to dismiss a relationship alluded to in two verses of a key poem.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 09:19:48 pm »
If anyone would like a look I highly recommend they sign in for Alison Finlay's paper on Gender Identity in old Norse culture.

It's linked in my post. It's free, just sign in.

Monstrous Accusations: An Exchange of Yki In Bjarnar Saga Hit Daelakappa

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com/2016/03/hinn-mara-viking-remainder-of-horror.html

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 09:27:39 pm »
Cheers - and a very nice post it's embedded in, too.  :beer:

I do keep meaning to have a damned good read of your stuff (other than what you link here, that gets read.).