Author Topic: Pope weighs in on Dakota pipeline dispute: Native people have rights over their lands  (Read 1033 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Pope Francis insisted Wednesday that indigenous groups must give prior consent to any economic activity affecting their ancestral lands, a view that conflicts with the Trump administration, which is pushing to build a $3.8 billion oil pipeline over opposition from American Indians.

Francis met with representatives of indigenous peoples attending a U.N. agricultural meeting and said the key issue facing them is how to reconcile the right to economic development with protecting their cultures and territories.

"In this regard, the right to prior and informed consent should always prevail," he said. "Only then is it possible to guarantee peaceful cooperation between governing authorities and indigenous peoples, overcoming confrontation and conflict."

The Cheyenne River and the Standing Rock Sioux tribes have sued to stop construction on the final stretch of the Dakota Access pipeline, which would bring oil from North Dakota's rich Bakken fields across four states to a shipping point in Illinois.

The tribes say the pipeline threatens their drinking water, cultural sites and ability to practice their religion, which depends on pure water. The last piece of the pipeline is to pass under a reservoir on the Missouri River, which marks the eastern border of both tribes' reservations.

The company building the pipeline, Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners, has insisted the water supply will be safe.

Francis didn't cite the Dakota pipeline dispute by name and the Vatican press office said he was not making a direct reference to it. But history's first Latin American pope has been a consistent backer of indigenous rights and has frequently spoken out about the plight of Indians in resisting economic development that threatens their lands.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/02/15/pope-francis-wades-into-us-oil-pipeline-dispute.html

Anyone willing to bet that the Italian relative immigrants of Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the current pope, always conducted their businesses with the the rights of the native Argentinians in mind?

This Pope is partially insane I now truly believe, and is setting back the Catholic faith tremendously in this world.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
But it's not their land...?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Norm Lenhart

This Pope is partially insane I now truly believe, and is setting back the Catholic faith tremendously in this world.

Thats what his job was. The left infiltrated took over the church a long time ago Benedict was the last impediment. They deposed him and Voila! Another road to converting the faithful to the new Christianity appears.

Pro gay/Pro Muslim/Pro Democrat. and increasingly iffy on Abortion. The only thing the Catholic church isn't in 2017 is Pro Christianity.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I chuckled a little when I read this. I mean, the Vicar of Christ, literally God's representative on Earth, is worried about a pipeline!? But he doesn't seem to care about Christian genocide in the Middle East?

I mean if a pipeline is a religious issue God is concerned about, couldn't God take care of it on his own?

I'm not Catholic so I have no standing to comment really, but this is the strangest Pope I have ever heard of. The things he worries about are way off base for a Pope. These are issues better suited for Michael Moore, or Nancy Pelosi.

He would be right at home in America as a far-Left Democrat. He should run for office in California or New York.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:47:13 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Thats what his job was. The left infiltrated took over the church a long time ago Benedict was the last impediment. They deposed him and Voila! Another road to converting the faithful to the new Christianity appears.

Pro gay/Pro Muslim/Pro Democrat. and increasingly iffy on Abortion. The only thing the Catholic church isn't in 2017 is Pro Christianity.
I am Roman Catholic. Sadly, this Pope often  does not speak for me. If he was referring to the DAPL, it is sad he gets his news from sources that fail miserably to convey any facts.
Unfortunately, we're pretty used to that out here. From Harper's weekly describing gunfights on main street to the present day, they sell a concept of an unruly culture that is in reality far safer then the urban enclaves they inhabit, and far removed from the vast majority of Robber Barons who would take advantage of us all.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:15:55 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

I am Roman Catholic. Sadly, this Pope often  does not speak for me. If he was referring to the DAPL, it is sad he gets his news from sources that fail miserably to convey any facts.
Unfortunately, we're pretty used to that out here. From Harper's weekly describing gunfights on main street to the present day, they sell a concept of an unruly culture that is in reality far safer then the urban enclaves they inhabit, and far removed from the vast majority of Robber Barons who would take advantage of us all.

I was raised RC. People like this pope running the church are why I left. They are intent on leading the faithful off a cliff. This pope is acting much in the interest of men, not God. Specifically, liberal men. I fully believe that at some point in the not too distant future, this guy is going to declare that Jesus was merely a metaphor to send the faith into complete chaos and internal warfare, thus finishing off what power and influence it has left is destroyed.

At this point, Christianity has the same problem as conservatism. It's chock full of the very people we are supposed to oppose.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:35:58 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I cannot stand this guy. Catholic church will never get a cent of my money as long as he is pope.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:03:37 am by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline dfwgator

Tax the Church!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

More insanity

In an impassioned address Friday, Pope Francis denied the existence of Islamic terrorism, while simultaneously asserting that “the ecological crisis is real.”
http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/02/17/pope-francis-muslim-terrorism-not-exist/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

But it's not their land...?

Exactly.  Nor did they protest when the previous pipelines were built in the same location.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The guy acts like he is from another planet. Maybe those stories are true.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Exactly.  Nor did they protest when the previous pipelines were built in the same location.

We're to believe that facts matter to these people, right?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

We're to believe that facts matter to these people, right?

Apparently facts do not matter to God himself, or to his Earthly emissary.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.