Author Topic: India: First 3D printed titanium vertebrae implant helps 32-year-old woman walk again  (Read 6329 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Feb 17, 2017 | By Benedict

Doctors in India have helped a 32-year-old woman back onto her feet by rebuilding part of her spine with 3D printed vertebrae in a first-of-its-kind procedure. The patient had been suffering from spinal tuberculosis.

Dr Gopal Kumar and Dr V Anand Naik created a 3D printed titanium vertebrae implant

It takes a certain degree of backbone to be a doctor, but—incredibly—it took just a 3D printer for these Indian doctors to make a backbone for a 32-year-old spinal tuberculosis patient. Using advanced metal 3D printing technology, a surgical team at Medanta The Medicity hospital in Haryana was able to create 3D printed artificial vertebrae for the woman, the first operation of its kind in India.

Under the guidance of Dr V Anand Naik, a senior consultant for spine surgeries at the hospital, the surgical team was able to replace the damaged vertebrae in the patient’s spine, replacing them with a 3D printed titanium version that bridged the gap between the first and fourth cervical vertebrae. “It was a very complex surgery and the patient’s condition was deteriorating by the day,” said Dr Naik. “It would not have been possible to do it without 3D printing technology.”
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20170217-india-first-3d-printed-titanium-vertebrae-implant-helps-32-year-old-woman-walk-again.html
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley