Author Topic: Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is linked to delayed brain development  (Read 1080 times)

rangerrebew

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is linked to delayed brain development

Feb 17, 2017 by Washington Post

By Amy Ellis Nutt –

For the first time, scientists can point to substantial empirical evidence that people with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder have brain structures that differ from those of people without ADHD. The common disorder, they conclude, should be considered a problem of delayed brain maturation and not, as it is often portrayed, a problem of motivation or parenting.

In conducting the largest brain imaging study of its kind, an international team of researchers found that ADHD involves decreased volume in key brain regions, in particular the amygdala, which is responsible for regulating the emotions. Although the study, published Wednesday in the Lancet Psychiatry, included children, adolescents and adults, the scientists said the greatest differences in brain volume appeared in the brains of children.

http://www.educationviews.org/attention-deficithyperactivity-disorder-linked-delayed-brain-development/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:15:05 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Sorry don't buy it, my son is ADD/HD and his biggest problem from first grade into high school was that he was bored to tears because he was too smart and ahead of his peers, the only thing in this article that I did see in my son was his interactions with others. WHat I observed with my son was what many other parents of like kids saw, as they grew older they learned to channel their ADD/HD and were usually more successful than their peers and personal interactions were on a par with normal people.

Oceander

Sorry don't buy it, my son is ADD/HD and his biggest problem from first grade into high school was that he was bored to tears because he was too smart and ahead of his peers, the only thing in this article that I did see in my son was his interactions with others. WHat I observed with my son was what many other parents of like kids saw, as they grew older they learned to channel their ADD/HD and were usually more successful than their peers and personal interactions were on a par with normal people.

Nonetheless, ADD/ADHD almost certainly has a biological underpinning - so there are likely to be identifiable organic differences.  But that should not be taken as a moral judgment about those who have ADD/ADHD, after all, there are identifiable organic differences between men's brains and women's brains, so it only stands to reason. 

The more interesting part is that ADD/ADHD is associated with higher creativity in a statistically nontrivial way as well as with a shorter or less controllable attention span, and when that is added to classes that are taught to the middle (or lower common denominator), boredom is the almost inevitable result.

By way of disclosure, I have a close enough connection to the issue and have been motivated to do a lot of research so while I am clearly still a layperson and not an expert, I'm not an ignoramus either. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Nonetheless, ADD/ADHD almost certainly has a biological underpinning - so there are likely to be identifiable organic differences.  But that should not be taken as a moral judgment about those who have ADD/ADHD, after all, there are identifiable organic differences between men's brains and women's brains, so it only stands to reason. 

The more interesting part is that ADD/ADHD is associated with higher creativity in a statistically nontrivial way as well as with a shorter or less controllable attention span, and when that is added to classes that are taught to the middle (or lower common denominator), boredom is the almost inevitable result.

By way of disclosure, I have a close enough connection to the issue and have been motivated to do a lot of research so while I am clearly still a layperson and not an expert, I'm not an ignoramus either.
I don't dispute the it having a biological underpinning, my dispute is with the underdeveloped brain conclusion, my experience in dealing with my son and other children with the same issues over the years is that as you say they are very creative and imaginative and more often as not above the curve in intelligence which strongly argues against the underdeveloped brain conclusion. An ADD/ADHD child can be the most aggravating button pushing monster one minute and then leave you dumbstruck the next with their creativity or problem solving.