Author Topic: One in three cybersecurity job openings go begging, survey finds  (Read 1884 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
One in three cybersecurity job openings go begging, survey finds
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:22:08 pm »
 If you're a hiring manager, you know how many resumes come flooding in every time a job is posted. That's why the resume-screening process is now automated to keyword searches, just to help sift through the volumes of documents.
it-worker2-by-michael-krigsman.jpg
Photo: Michael Krigsman

However, if you're hiring for cybersecurity talent, you don't have to worry about such inundation. In fact, if you're like most organizations, you're lucky if at least five resumes come trickling in.

The bottom line is that there simply aren't enough qualified people available to provide data security in an era when information insecurity reigns. Today's cybersecurity skills gap, in fact, leaves close to one-third of organizations without the talent they need for periods of six months or longer -- if the right candidate even shows up at all, ever.

That's one of the findings of a recent survey of 633 IT security professionals, conducted and released by ISACA, which finds that demand for qualified cyber security professionals continues to outstrip supply.

"The main problem of obtaining key talent in the realm of cyber security stems from a lack of qualified applicants," the survey report's authors state. A majority enterprise leaders fear they are ill-equipped to address cybersecurity threats head-on. Fifty-nine percent of surveyed organizations say they receive at least five applications for each cybersecurity opening, and only 13 percent receive 20 or more. In contrast, studies show most corporate job openings result in 60 to 250 applicants.

More: http://www.zdnet.com/article/one-in-three-cybersecurity-jobs-go-begging-survey-finds/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ShadowAce

Re: One in three cybersecurity job openings go begging, survey finds
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 12:53:47 pm »

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Rikki Tikki Tavi @guitar4jesus
@kevindavis

geronl

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 01:27:57 pm »
Many companies deliberately refuse to hire any applicants and then claim they need foreign workers, see "Mar-a-Lago" as an example

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:15:54 pm »
Many companies deliberately refuse to hire any applicants and then claim they need foreign workers, see "Mar-a-Lago" as an example

You've clearly never tried to hire foreigners when a legitimate need exists.  Try it, then come back and whinge about it. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:22:57 pm »
I run a security company.  There are plenty of people out there.   Many have certifications but few have much experience.

I end up training and get better people for it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:33:26 pm »
I run a security company.  There are plenty of people out there.   Many have certifications but few have much experience.

I end up training and get better people for it.

What's your attrition rate?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 04:07:44 pm »
What's your attrition rate?

Low with people who get it,    higher for folks who just wanted the pay and not the work that goes with it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:10:46 pm »
Low with people who get it,    higher for folks who just wanted the pay and not the work that goes with it.

How many in each group, generally?