Author Topic: ‘This is really unprecedented’: ICE detains woman seeking domestic abuse protection at Texas courthouse  (Read 1165 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
A hearing in El Paso County in Texas went from ordinary to “unprecedented” last week when half a dozen Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents showed up at a courthouse where an undocumented woman was seeking a protective order against the boyfriend she accused of abusing her.

The woman, a citizen of Mexico who was living in El Paso had been driven to the courthouse by a victim’s advocate from the Center Against Sexual and Family Violence, a shelter for victims of domestic abuse where she had been living.

She left under arrest.

“This is really unprecedented,” El Paso County Attorney Jo Anne Bernal told The Washington Post.

It was the first time in her 23 years at the courthouse, Bernal said, that she can remember ICE agents making their presence known during a protective order hearing. The agents had come to stake out the woman, identified by her initials I.E.G., because, Bernal speculates, they likely received a tip from the only other person who knew the time and place of the hearing — the woman’s alleged abuser.

The woman had a prior criminal record and had been previously deported, but, according to Bernal, had no current outstanding state warrants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/16/this-is-really-unprecedented-ice-detains-woman-seeking-domestic-abuse-protection-at-texas-courthouse/

I cut it off before the inevitable "poor illegals" moralizing.

Still sucks, this one. I think maybe in all fairness, the boyfriend's name should be made known as a complete shitbag.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

Based on her criminal history She was a model citizen.  Someone who you would want in the united states.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
A hearing in El Paso County in Texas went from ordinary to “unprecedented” last week when half a dozen Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents showed up at a courthouse where an undocumented woman was seeking a protective order against the boyfriend she accused of abusing her.

The woman, a citizen of Mexico who was living in El Paso had been driven to the courthouse by a victim’s advocate from the Center Against Sexual and Family Violence, a shelter for victims of domestic abuse where she had been living.

She left under arrest.

“This is really unprecedented,” El Paso County Attorney Jo Anne Bernal told The Washington Post.

It was the first time in her 23 years at the courthouse, Bernal said, that she can remember ICE agents making their presence known during a protective order hearing. The agents had come to stake out the woman, identified by her initials I.E.G., because, Bernal speculates, they likely received a tip from the only other person who knew the time and place of the hearing — the woman’s alleged abuser.

The woman had a prior criminal record and had been previously deported, but, according to Bernal, had no current outstanding state warrants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/16/this-is-really-unprecedented-ice-detains-woman-seeking-domestic-abuse-protection-at-texas-courthouse/

I cut it off before the inevitable "poor illegals" moralizing.

Still sucks, this one. I think maybe in all fairness, the boyfriend's name should be made known as a complete shitbag.

This doesn't suck.  She is a criminal - a felon from the look of it - and that's why she was arrested.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Unfortunately, domestic abuse is much more common in some of the countries these people come from, it's a different understanding.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Unfortunately, domestic abuse is much more common in some of the countries these people come from, it's a different understanding.
I guess tat explains her own conviction for domestic abuse? Oh and two convictions for false imprisonment, just the type of upstanding person we want to welcome to America, Central America that is.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Based on her criminal history She was a model citizen.  Someone who you would want in the united states.

@EC @Wingnut

This is why I absolutely hate rags like the Washington compost and the NY slimes!  They ALWAYS conveniently leave out the parts of the story that don't fit their agenda!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

This is excellent news. ICE just saved her from her abusive relationship.

Offline skeeter

This doesn't suck.  She is a criminal - a felon from the look of it - and that's why she was arrested.

How bad can t be for illegals, if this is the best the media can do to try to drum up sympathy?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This is excellent news. ICE just saved her from her abusive relationship.
Yep! "Protective custody". Relocation! What more does she want?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis