Author Topic: The Machete: The Super Plane That Could Replace the A-10 Warthog (Or Not)?  (Read 1627 times)

geronl

Stavatti, the mercurial, Minnesota-based aerospace startup, has dusted off its old proposal for a new attack plane to partially replace the U.S. Air Force’s venerable A-10 Warthog.

The Machete, which is still just a concept, would come in two variants optimized for close air support — the propeller-driven SM-27 and the jet-propelled SM-28. Stavatti has proposed other variants of the Machete for air-to-air combat and advanced training.

The SM-27 and SM-28 are both single-engine, single-seat planes. They’re both armed with the same GAU-8 30-millimeter cannon that the A-10 also carries.

In proposing the Machete — actually, re-proposing it — Stavatti is hoping to benefit from the Air Force’s renewed interest in a light attack plane to complement the 1970s-vintage A-10. “Machete is a big project around here,” said Chris Beskar, Stavatti’s CEO.

Stavatti last marketed the Machete back in 2009, when the Air Force briefly considered acquiring around 100 light attack planes to replace A-10s on missions where the bigger, twin-engine Warthogs represented expensive overkill — such as striking lightly-armed insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan. A turboprop attacker costs around $1,000 per flight hour to operate. An A-10 can cost more than $10,000 per flight hour.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-machete-the-super-plane-could-replace-the-10-warthog-or-19431

Dear render artist: Draw a canopy...

Offline skeeter

Re: The Machete: The Super Plane That Could Replace the A-10 Warthog (Or Not)?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 12:18:03 am »
Looks like a brick. I'd feel better with two engines.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:19:55 am »
Cool looking. I'm not sure single engine is a great idea when people are throwing AA and ground fire your way.

Yes the artist did put a canopy on it, but it is very faint.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:23:21 am »
Looks like a brick. I'd feel better with two engines.

Not to mention the fact that the A10 is already online, supply chain in place,  cost overruns behind us, and most importantly, it works damned well!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:24:22 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:25:15 am »
Meh, Old school rules.  This new shiny "thing" is waste of money... . 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:56:05 am »
I'm going with NOT.

Why replace what works magnificently on a fraction of the budget of the big flying computers?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775