Author Topic: India reportedly launches 104 satellites on a single rocket (space junk?)  (Read 2651 times)

geronl

India’s space program made history Wednesday when it put 104 satellites into orbit, which included 88 from San Francisco-based Planet Labs Inc., Bloomberg reported.

The satellites will reportedly be used to map the Earth and monitor illegal fishing and piracy. Microgravity experiments will also be conducted.

The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle carried small satellites from seven countries The rocket took off at 9:28  a.m. from the southeastern part of the country.

India hopes to become a player in the multibillion-dollar space launch market, and has successfully placed light satellites into orbit in recent years.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/02/15/india-launches-104-satellites-in-single-day-breaking-record.html

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: India reportedly launches 104 satellites on a single rocket (space junk?)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 08:04:33 pm »
Illegal fishing? Interesting.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 08:31:09 pm »
Space junk?

Well, they are running out of room to stack their junk.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:44:16 pm »
Space junk?

Well, they are running out of room to stack their junk.

Where's Wall-E when you need him?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:47:58 pm »

It's hard to believe India would pile things on to a vehicle like that.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 08:52:13 pm »

Exactly.

In fact, I rode on one of these.  13 hour trip from Kakinada to Chennai.

You do not want to know about the lavatory car.  Trust me.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 09:06:50 pm »
Exactly.

Wow. I guess when they say "All Aboard!" in India, they really mean "all aboard".
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 09:20:25 pm »
Wow. I guess when they say "All Aboard!" in India, they really mean "all aboard".

I can tell you stories, but then you may lose any and all appetite for awhile.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 09:25:00 pm »
Exactly.

@INVAR
Were you in Chennai when it was still known as Madras?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 09:40:37 pm »
I can tell you stories, but then you may lose any and all appetite for awhile.
After riding the impossibly crowded New York City #7 subway line in the blazing hot summer of 1987 (120 humid degrees in sardine-stuffed, graffiti-strewn cars, no air conditioning, garbage rotting under the seats, giant stinking rats running free on the stairwells) not much would shock or sicken me about train travel. But at least they didn't make us ride up on top. ;-)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 02:04:23 am »
@INVAR
Were you in Chennai when it was still known as Madras?

No.  Much later.  As my first time there was in 2010.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 02:05:50 am »
After riding the impossibly crowded New York City #7 subway line in the blazing hot summer of 1987 (120 humid degrees in sardine-stuffed, graffiti-strewn cars, no air conditioning, garbage rotting under the seats, giant stinking rats running free on the stairwells) not much would shock or sicken me about train travel. But at least they didn't make us ride up on top. ;-)

Been on the subway system in Chicago - and let me tell you - you are NOT ready for train travel in India.

No sane American is.

We have never been conditioned for it.

Maybe if you spent a few years in the sandbox in A'stan perhaps.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 02:08:47 am »
Been on the subway system in Chicago - and let me tell you - you are NOT ready for train travel in India.

No sane American is.

We have never been conditioned for it.

Maybe if you spent a few years in the sandbox in A'stan perhaps.

The people mover in Detroit is downright pleasant. However nobody rides it so its bound to be nice.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 02:10:39 am »
No.  Much later.  As my first time there was in 2010.

We were there for two years back in 1972.  I was pretty young but I still remember a little.  Did you ever get to Kodaikanal?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 11:18:09 pm »
Here you go. New pics of the project.  :tongue2:

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 11:24:55 pm »

It's date night.  The goat is in heat.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 05:24:53 am »
Here you go. New pics of the project.  :tongue2:

:thumbsup:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 05:55:00 am »
We were there for two years back in 1972.  I was pretty young but I still remember a little.  Did you ever get to Kodaikanal?

No.  That is another 15 hour train trip from Chennai South and West, almost to Kerala.  I was in the slum section in the city center for the most part.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:01 am »
It's date night.  The goat is in heat.
I'm pretty sure those are Sikhs, not Muslims.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:54 pm »
I'm pretty sure those are Sikhs, not Muslims.

The goat doesn't know the difference.

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 03:18:12 pm »
No.  That is another 15 hour train trip from Chennai South and West, almost to Kerala.  I was in the slum section in the city center for the most part.

We were lucky enough to spend part of the summer there while my parents were stationed at the consulate in Madras. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 03:58:45 pm »
The goat doesn't know the difference.
I'd wager the Sikhs do.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis