Author Topic: We will not pay: the Americans withholding their taxes to fight Trump  (Read 1614 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN

URL: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/15/tax-refusing-pay-protest-trump

by Joanna Walters

Andrew Newman always pays his taxes, even if he hates what the government is doing with them. But not this year. For him, Donald Trump is the dealbreaker. He’ll pay his city and state taxes but will refuse to pay federal income tax as a cry of civil disobedience against the president and his new administration.

Newman is not alone. A nascent movement has been detected to revive the popularity of tax resistance – last seen en masse in America during the Vietnam war but which has been, sporadically, a tradition in the US and beyond going back many centuries.

“My tax money will be going towards putting up a wall on the Mexican border instead of helping sick people. It will contribute to the destruction of the environment and maybe more nuclear weapons. I think there will be a redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy elite and Trump’s campaign for the working man and woman was an absolute fraud. If you pay taxes you are implicated in the system,” said Newman, an associate professor of English and history at Stony Brook University on Long Island, part of the State University of New York.

“The government wants our money and if a lot of people were thinking about this kind of peaceful protest, it would get their attention,” he added.

Newman, 48, regrets that his 2016 taxes have already been automatically taken out of his paycheck. He intends to write to the government accusing the Trump administration of a planned misuse of those public funds. Then he will change his 2017 arrangements so that he will get a bill from the Internal Revenue Service, instead, and will refuse to pay it, donating the money to causes he deems more socially responsible.

He will be following the example of one of his heroes, Henry David Thoreau, who refused to pay tax that would fund wars and slavery and was jailed for it in 1846, and whose famous essay, Civil Disobedience, Newman often reads to his students. Martin Luther King Jr was a huge admirer or Thoreau’s argument about civil disobedience, and Mahatma Gandhi led salt tax protests and resistance that helped spur independence for India.

“I’ve been discussing this with friends and colleagues and they are extremely interested,” he said. “People are very responsive but they also say ‘I don’t want to go to jail.’”

He is far more likely simply to be fined and charged interest on the unpaid taxes by the IRS.

“There have been very few people who have spent time in jail for not paying taxes as an explicit act of political resistance,” said Ruth Benn, coordinator of the National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee, a campaign group that encourages federal tax boycotts in the name of peace and advises citizens on how to go about it.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST ....

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:21:57 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Suppressed

Re: We will not pay: the Americans withholding their taxes to fight Trump
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:41:16 pm »
He is far more likely simply to be fined and charged interest on the unpaid taxes by the IRS.

Thank you, Newman, for helping to pay down the debt.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:42:19 pm »
Newman, 48, regrets that his 2016 taxes have already been automatically taken out of his paycheck.

Really putting your money where your mouth is uh? I bet hardly anyone does this because the only people who pay their taxes with a check are business owners and even then you pay quarterly. Everyone else has payroll deductions.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:43:52 pm »
Thank you, Newman, for helping to pay down the debt.

He'll also have a good laugh when he goes to buy a Prius and his credit is shot because he owes all this money.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:46:52 pm »
Other People's Money is fine for running up a hundred bazillion dollar deficit when Obama is in office.

Now they don't want to pay the piper.  There is a spot in the Arizona desert that is ideal for this situation.

Place a big rock at each of the 4 corners of a 3 acre plot.  Send the tax deniers out there to fill in the rest of their prison.  They'll have plenty of time while they're turning big ones into little ones.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 06:09:34 pm »

Yes, and if he refuses to pay those fines and back taxes, he'll go to jail.  No problem.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:40:10 pm »
First, let's see if the IRS will go after him and the others like they went after the TEA party folks. I'm betting they will not.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:56:13 pm »
First, let's see if the IRS will go after him and the others like they went after the TEA party folks. I'm betting they will not.

I'm betting you're right.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:34:44 pm »
I'm betting you're right.

And, I'll double that bet.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 01:12:20 am »
He'll also have a good laugh when he goes to buy a Prius and his credit is shot because he owes all this money.

:thumbsup3: @Frank Cannon

(Love the "Prius"   ^-^)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:12:40 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 09:39:36 am »

Probably not but as Frank said, their credit will be ruined.

Maybe some liberals would learn their lesson about the IRS and the evils of the income tax in general.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:39 am »
First time I've seen the words Liberal and learn in the same sentence here ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline rodamala

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:55 pm »
Lois Lerner still works for the IRS, right?  They'll be just fine.  We can pay "our fair share" for Trump's coming worse-than-Bernie Sanders spending spree.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:17 pm »
Lois Lerner still works for the IRS, right?  They'll be just fine.  We can pay "our fair share" for Trump's coming worse-than-Bernie Sanders spending spree.

I think she retired.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 09:42:49 pm »
I think she retired.

Yes, with a yearly pension over 6 figures. Courtesy of you and me.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 09:43:38 pm »
I think she retired.

She did.  Got a nice pension, I heard.

I think the fools doing this are going to learn a rough lesson.  The IRS has been dealing with people who swear the 16th Amendment was improperly ratified and refused to pay.  No, they're not going to get TEA Party treatment, but they're not going to like what's coming either.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:05 pm »
She did.  Got a nice pension, I heard.

I think the fools doing this are going to learn a rough lesson.  The IRS has been dealing with people who swear the 16th Amendment was improperly ratified and refused to pay.  No, they're not going to get TEA Party treatment, but they're not going to like what's coming either.

Too bad Lerner wasn't visiting Kuala Lumpur hanging out with Kim Jong Nam last weekend. I would have loved to read about her getting a face full of nerve agent. Bug spray for humans.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline rodamala

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 11:06:20 pm »
Yes, with a yearly pension over 6 figures. Courtesy of you and me.

Just doing our patriotic duty...