Author Topic: Many Seniors Take Multiple Meds That Can Affect the Brain. Psychiatrist cautions doctors and patients to consider risks and benefits of each drug  (Read 421 times)

rangerrebew

Many Seniors Take Multiple Meds That Can Affect the Brain
Psychiatrist cautions doctors and patients to consider risks and benefits of each drug
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Google+ Subscribe to RSS
By Robert Preidt
Monday, February 13, 2017
HealthDay news image

MONDAY, Feb. 13, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- There has been a sharp rise in the number of American seniors who take three or more medications that affect their brains, a new study reveals.

The study looked at seniors' use of opioid painkillers, antidepressants, tranquilizers and antipsychotic drugs. A review of U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data showed that the use of these drugs in people over 65 more than doubled from 2004 to 2013.

The researchers estimated that approximately 3.7 million doctor visits a year are by seniors taking three or more of these drugs. The largest increase was seen among seniors in rural areas. There, the use of these drugs more than tripled.

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_163560.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:48:16 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

I recall how my Dad very nearly died the week of his 50th anniversary party. The hospitalist redid all his medications from scratch and his mind came back, and he was dancing with my mom at the party.

Remarkable.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

There are plenty of doctors out there who treat seniors like little kids.  The doctor may not want to tackle the problem or doesn't know what the problem is, so he prescribes unnecessary and potential harmful drugs.  When the patient complains, the doctor pats him or her on the head and just tells them to take their meds.  They will feel better. 

Not necessarily. 

Just wrestled my aunt away from her primary doctor.  Aunt has been complaining for more than a year now about digestive issues.  No diagnosis, but she's been prescribed a slew of meds, including tranquilizers, because she has "anxiety."  Well, yeah, she has anxiety because she's been fooling around with this quack for more than a year and not getting better.  I got her in to see a gastroenterologist  who has run some tests.  Waiting for the results.  Hopefully, now she will get a diagnosis and  the proper treatment. 

My aunt comes from a generation that believes doctors are god on high.  They never want to question the doctor about their treatment because they fear they will insult the doctor.  I told my physicians from day one I will not tolerate being treated like a child.  I want the suitable tests run, an accurate diagnosis, and whatever treatment is prescribed,  I want to know everything about it, including the risks and benefits.