Author Topic: Conservatives fret GOP is blowing Obamacare repeal  (Read 9625 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Conservatives fret GOP is blowing Obamacare repeal
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2017, 09:18:14 pm »
Good comments.  Part of my plan is predicated on allowing costs to come down.

Add tort reform to bring down the cost of Malpractice Insurance premiums and you're really on to something.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2017, 09:18:46 pm »

Right but there are some people on it who didn't have "health care" before. Kicking them off would have terrible "optics" as they say. I'm wondering how you deal with that. Saying "touch cookies" isn't really realistic.

MediCare.  That's where the majority of ObamaCare policy holders have been shifted to anyway.

Look the Left is going to scream that infants, minorities and women are being kicked out of the hospitals bleeding to death and dying in the hallways no matter who attempts to return this issue to the People- rather than making it a province of Government, and no matter what anyone says to assuage all the fear-mongering.

There is a mob to gin-up to protect Obama's Legacy and the Left's stranglehold on the country.  They are not giving it up without a fight.

Massaging it, and tinkering with keeping it viable simply surrenders the issue in total to the Left and Big Government Statism will remain in perpetuity - having precedent to make us buy other products and services the Statists demand we must have in order to breathe and exist here.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline skeeter

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2017, 09:24:58 pm »
MediCare.  That's where the majority of ObamaCare policy holders have been shifted to anyway.

Look the Left is going to scream that infants, minorities and women are being kicked out of the hospitals bleeding to death and dying in the hallways no matter who attempts to return this issue to the People- rather than making it a province of Government, and no matter what anyone says to assuage all the fear-mongering.

There is a mob to gin-up to protect Obama's Legacy and the Left's stranglehold on the country.  They are not giving it up without a fight.

Massaging it, and tinkering with keeping it viable simply surrenders the issue in total to the Left and Big Government Statism will remain in perpetuity - having precedent to make us buy other products and services the Statists demand we must have in order to breathe and exist here.

If it is indeed true that the IRS has been directed to ignore the did-you-have-insurance-last-year box, as has been reported, then the teeth have been kicked out of the ACA anyway.

I couldn't be more delighted.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2017, 09:29:42 pm »

Medicare or Medicaid?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2017, 09:37:59 pm »

Right but there are some people on it who didn't have "health care" before. Kicking them off would have terrible "optics" as they say. I'm wondering how you deal with that. Saying "touch cookies" isn't really realistic.
When thousands of folks had their insurance rates double triple or quintuple they were told "tough cookies" it's for the better good. Mind you the rate increase wasn't even for a comparable plan.

The way to sell is to offer some real reforms as a solution. Torte reform and opening insurance up across state lines for starters.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2017, 09:40:29 pm »
Repealing the law without a replacement will unleash the political furies.   The ACA can be fixed with a few simple and easy-to-communicate changes.
And those "few simple and easy-to-communicate changes," would be exactly what?

What "conservatives" of many varieties seem to be great at talk, but little beyond that.

But they can "fret," when it is necessary to act.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2017, 09:45:03 pm »
When thousands of folks had their insurance rates double triple or quintuple they were told "tough cookies" it's for the better good. Mind you the rate increase wasn't even for a comparable plan.

The way to sell is to offer some real reforms as a solution. Torte reform and opening insurance up across state lines for starters.

Yes, it would be nice if some mind were paid to those of us who've suffered a bit of economic discomfort, to put it nicely, because of the damn act.

As it is ACA is just another wealth redistribution scheme. Like any such program the piggies will squeal bloody murder if a hand is laid on it. But if a four year old entitlement cannot be undone or reformed then there is zero chance of reforming any of the old legacy welfare programs.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:47:10 pm by skeeter »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2017, 09:49:18 pm »
And those "few simple and easy-to-communicate changes," would be exactly what?

What "conservatives" of many varieties seem to be great at talk, but little beyond that.

But they can "fret," when it is necessary to act.

I always get a hearty laugh when liberals tell me what's "conservative," or when atheists tell me what's "Christian."

Edited to add:  @truth_seeker , I realized upon rereading this page of the thread you might have gotten the impression I think you're a liberal.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:14:48 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2017, 10:01:41 pm »
Medicare or Medicaid?

According to my wife the RN with all the letters after her name, BOTH - depending on the age of the insurer.

A huge chunk of ObamaCare enrollees (like 10 million or so documented) were simply added to Medicaid rolls to cover low income and illegals to get subsidized insurance, the older folks got pushed into medicare, which is in it's own certain death spiral considering Obama apparently gutted almost a trillion bucks from medicare over 10 years to cover the new subsidies being handed to the 40 million so-called 'uninsured' to guarantee coverage.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2017, 10:08:28 pm »
According to my wife the RN with all the letters after her name, BOTH - depending on the age of the insurer.

A huge chunk of ObamaCare enrollees (like 10 million or so documented) were simply added to Medicaid rolls to cover low income and illegals to get subsidized insurance, the older folks got pushed into medicare, which is in it's own certain death spiral considering Obama apparently gutted almost a trillion bucks from medicare over 10 years to cover the new subsidies being handed to the 40 million so-called 'uninsured' to guarantee coverage.
Don't forget a lot of business that threw in the towel on providing their employees insurance because of the costs of Obamacare. Obamacare was a failure of the largest proportions. It was a yuge failure, I really mean that. Believe me, I know failure. Nothing failed like Obamacare failed. Just ask Sean Hannity.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2017, 10:08:35 pm »

Good grief...luckily we've got nurses in the family too, so we might be able to get some level of care in old age.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2017, 10:09:22 pm »
Good grief...luckily we've got nurses in the family too, so we might be able to get some level of care in old age.
And thanks to Obamacare I'll be able to get maternity coverage even when I'm 80 year old guy...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2017, 10:15:33 pm »
And thanks to Obamacare I'll be able to get maternity coverage even when I'm 80 year old guy...

That absolutely needs to go, along with support for tranny ops, and other garbage. Also the payout max ban needs to go.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2017, 10:17:04 pm »

Ain't that wonderful? /s  God save us from central planners!

How about we just repeal every last word of Obamacare and let the marketplace work it's magic!

(I know you've said that about a hundred times already @INVAR)
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2017, 10:19:48 pm »
Ain't that wonderful? /s  God save us from central planners!

How about we just repeal every last word of Obamacare and let the marketplace work it's magic!

(I know you've said that about a hundred times already @INVAR)

I hear you, Bigun, but I agree with WTF that it's got to be compassionate or it will never get repealed. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2017, 10:23:56 pm »
I hear you, Bigun, but I agree with WTF that it's got to be compassionate or it will never get repealed.

No matter what the GOP proposes, it will be characterized as "not compassionate."  Much work will have to be done to cut through the demagoguery.  This is why the GOP Congress is hesitating:  They don't want to do that work.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2017, 10:31:39 pm »
No matter what the GOP proposes, it will be characterized as "not compassionate."  Much work will have to be done to cut through the demagoguery.  This is why the GOP Congress is hesitating:  They don't want to do that work.

But, if they do it well and make sure they provide a an opportunity and a way for people to transition to taking care of their own health care, they stand a much better chance of success.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2017, 10:35:55 pm »
But, if they do it well and make sure they provide a an opportunity and a way for people to transition to taking care of their own health care, they stand a much better chance of success.

Correct.  And if they fail, it won't be the first time they blew it because of their inability to articulate the conservative position.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2017, 11:13:05 pm »

Exactly!  Nor are they interested in any swamp draining!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2017, 11:18:06 pm »

House GOP floats option to deal with Medicaid expansion

By Peter Sullivan - 02/15/17 06:11 PM EST 

A key House Republican in the healthcare fight said Wednesday that lawmakers are considering a way to deal with their dilemma on ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion by increasing payments to states that rejected the expansion.

Rep. Brett Guthrie (R-Ky.), the vice chairman of the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee on health, told reporters that one option under consideration is to freeze new enrollment in the 31 states that expanded the program, while increasing certain payments to the 19 states that did not expand.

The proposal would increase funding known as Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) payments in the states that did not expand Medicaid. Meanwhile, expansion states would get to keep the expansion, at least for people currently enrolled.

The idea seeks to solve Republicans’ problem of how to satisfy lawmakers from expansion states who do not want to lose out on their extra federal money and coverage, while also not disadvantaging states that did not expand.
Differences on Medicaid expansion are one of the main obstacles for Republicans to overcome as they look to repeal ObamaCare. Some conservatives simply want to repeal the expansion altogether.

“One of the proposals was, do you allow states to freeze who's already on the expanded [population]?” Guthrie, who chaired a Medicaid task force started in 2015, told reporters. “So no new members, but nobody is removed, and then the states that didn't expand, how do you make that fair?”

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/319780-house-gop-floats-option-to-deal-with-medicaid-expansion

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2017, 11:49:03 pm »
Exactly!  Nor are they interested in any swamp draining!  :beer:
Some are. Most just want to be liked and be the cool kids on the block.

geronl

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2017, 12:20:34 am »
If it is indeed true that the IRS has been directed to ignore the did-you-have-insurance-last-year box, as has been reported, then the teeth have been kicked out of the ACA anyway.

I couldn't be more delighted.

Last week the online tax estimator still took off the penalty, but I just went through Turbotax and it didn't take off any penalty. I'm not sure if that's why since there has been no confirmation that the tax/fee/fine is really suspended. It would be really good news, though.

geronl

« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2017, 12:22:25 am »

A key House Republican in the healthcare fight said Wednesday that lawmakers are considering a way to deal with their dilemma on ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion by increasing payments to states that rejected the expansion.

:silly:

Throw money at the problem, nobody's ever tried that before. lol

Offline corbe

« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2017, 12:35:59 am »
Last week the online tax estimator still took off the penalty, but I just went through Turbotax and it didn't take off any penalty. I'm not sure if that's why since there has been no confirmation that the tax/fee/fine is really suspended. It would be really good news, though.

@geronl I'm sure that was covered by his EO last week requiring all his departments to lessen the obamacare burden as much as they could.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2017, 12:40:52 am »

This will be the second year in a row I've had no policy. So yeah, it would be good news for me, too.