Author Topic: Conservatives fret GOP is blowing Obamacare repeal  (Read 9624 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Conservatives fret GOP is blowing Obamacare repeal
« on: February 14, 2017, 05:34:22 pm »
House conservatives — anxious that the GOP’s effort to end Obamacare is getting bogged down in the fight over what a replacement should look like — are plotting a major push to repeal the law immediately without simultaneously approving an alternative.....

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/obamcare-conservatives-repeal-replace-234983

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Conservatives fret GOP is blowing Obamacare repeal
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 05:40:42 pm »
House conservatives — anxious that the GOP’s effort to end Obamacare is getting bogged down in the fight over what a replacement should look like — are plotting a major push to repeal the law immediately without simultaneously approving an alternative.....

Not helpful.   **nononono*

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 05:44:18 pm »

Doing nothing is not helpful either!!!!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:46:22 pm »
Repealing the law without a replacement will unleash the political furies.   The ACA can be fixed with a few simple and easy-to-communicate changes.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:14:50 pm »
The GOP is NOT interested in repealing ObamaCare. 

The amount of power if affords government is not something they are going to get rid of.  'Root and branch' was just a campaign slogan for Mitch to get reelected.

They already told us two weeks ago they did not have the ability to get rid of most of ObamaCare.

Because they do not WANT to get rid of it.

The Republican Party simply thinks it can manage Big Government Statism better than the Democrats.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:15:33 pm »
Repealing the law without a replacement will unleash the political furies.   The ACA can be fixed with a few simple and easy-to-communicate changes.

We don't NEED a "replacement".

Let the market determine and figure that out.

Unless you like Big Government as much as I think you do.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:22:00 pm »

Yes, but I think we have already established that your idea of "fix" regarding 0bamacare is not what most of the rest of us think of as a fix.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 06:26:06 pm »

I can tell you this!  If they don't repeal every last word of it they are DONE!

People are sick TO DEATH of being lied to by politicians!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 06:48:41 pm »
Yes, but I think we have already established that your idea of "fix" regarding 0bamacare is not what most of the rest of us think of as a fix.

So you don't think the access problem is worth fixing?   The roots of the issue lie in the historical oddity that most of us get health coverage through our employers -  a situation that (i) harms those who lose their jobs and can't get coverage for pre-existing conditions, (ii)  harms employers by requiring them to run expensive health care plans and deal with all the regulation appurtenant thereto,  and (iii) harms American competitiveness by decreasing the mobility of American workers. 

The ACA - PROPERLY FIXED - can effectively address each of these problems.   So why not fix it?    The fixes are surprisingly simple.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 06:59:25 pm »
So you don't think the access problem is worth fixing?   The roots of the issue lie in the historical oddity that most of us get health coverage through our employers -  a situation that (i) harms those who lose their jobs and can't get coverage for pre-existing conditions, (ii)  harms employers by requiring them to run expensive health care plans and deal with all the regulation appurtenant thereto,  and (iii) harms American competitiveness by decreasing the mobility of American workers. 

The ACA - PROPERLY FIXED - can effectively address each of these problems.   So why not fix it?    The fixes are surprisingly simple.   

No, again, Jazz, healthcare or health insurance or health access is not a legitimate function of the federal government. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 07:10:41 pm »
So you don't think the access problem is worth fixing?

Do you get ALL your talking points from the DNC?

Anyone in this country can go to an emergency room and get treated and make payment arrangements for their bill (Like most of us productive citizens do) or get on Medicaid to deal with a health issue.

The roots of the issue lie in the historical oddity that most of us get health coverage through our employers -  a situation that (i) harms those who lose their jobs and can't get coverage for pre-existing conditions,

Oh boo hoo... cry me a river. 

The root of the issue is the same thing as Withholding.  People live on their net and do not pay any attention to where all their tax monies are going.   Likewise, people no longer paid any attention to their bills and just expected insurance to take care of it all without any shred of responsibility on their part being paid to overcharges and skimming.

Then you mix government meddling and regulations in there and you automatically created the problem that the same people then decided to make irreversible with ObamaCare.

Businesses exist to make a profit - when government tells a business the they must take a ridiculous risk that may put them in the red - they jack up everyone's rates to cover the losses they will rack up or government just consigned them to bankruptcy.

Spoken like a true big-government Liberal.

THERE IS NO FIXING AN ACT THAT WAS DESIGNED TO DECIMATE THE HEALTH INSURANCE INDUSTRY IN ORDER TO PUSH SINGLE PAYER HEALTH CARE.

The only people who want to 'FIX' something that was designed to BREAK the existing free market system, are those people who want Government to run and control everyone's health.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 07:12:05 pm »
No, again, Jazz, healthcare or health insurance or health access is not a legitimate function of the federal government.

Well said and succinct to the point!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 07:14:09 pm »

In theory I agree, in practical reality...

Gonna be hard to kick people off health care given by government.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 07:21:30 pm »

There's no 'fixing' Obamacare. Either we reject the base concept - everyone being forced on pain of punishment to subsidized an expanded government health insurance program - or we sh*tcan it and go to a market based private solution.

The items you name can be added as features of Medicare.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 07:26:29 pm »

Gotta start somewhere and there is no time like the present.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 07:32:39 pm »

Just about everyone on ObamaCare is tied into Medicaid.

Dump the ACA in total - transfer those who legitimately qualify for ObamaCare into Medicaid direct.

Let the private sector work out the issues and provide the better service and insurance.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 07:52:58 pm »
Just about everyone on ObamaCare is tied into Medicaid.

Dump the ACA in total - transfer those who legitimately qualify for ObamaCare into Medicaid direct.

Let the private sector work out the issues and provide the better service and insurance.

After leaving me near dead in an ICU with a crash cart at my bedside 2 years ago, Obamacare idiocy just managed to once again F' up my life and thoroughly screw up my ongoing medical treatment. So thanks to that idiocy, I am most likely about 3-5 days away from another visit to Club Health for another indeterminate stay at another 6 figure expense to insurers... unless they sort out the BS Obamacare paperwork...source of the woes.

So you can imagine how very much I appreciate the efforts of the thoroughly evil 'conservative' idiots here and elsewhere that want Obamacare to continue on, modified to make them 'feel good' , rather than abolishing that abortion of a program.

Come to think of it, they also seem to believe that must remain legal too. Imagine that.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 08:03:56 pm »
After leaving me near dead in an ICU with a crash cart at my bedside 2 years ago, Obamacare idiocy just managed to once again F' up my life and thoroughly screw up my ongoing medical treatment. So thanks to that idiocy, I am most likely about 3-5 days away from another visit to Club Health for another indeterminate stay at another 6 figure expense to insurers... unless they sort out the BS Obamacare paperwork...source of the woes.

So you can imagine how very much I appreciate the efforts of the thoroughly evil 'conservative' idiots here and elsewhere that want Obamacare to continue on, modified to make them 'feel good' , rather than abolishing that abortion of a program.

Come to think of it, they also seem to believe that must remain legal too. Imagine that.

ACA directly has cost me big time. I get a kick out of my liberal friends, who hated Bush, who HATE Trump, strictly because of intangible ideological differences. They might at least have as good a personal reason for their antipathy towards the president as I do for Obama.

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 08:05:34 pm »

Oh piss off Norm you miserable old bastard.

Lots of people who are not insured could probably tell a similar story.

I'm just stating reality.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 08:08:36 pm »

Oh piss off Norm you miserable old bastard.

Lots of people who are not insured could probably tell a similar story.

I'm just stating reality.

So am I. Deal with 'reality'. I AM insured. And Obamacare is the problem. Too bad if that interferes with your desire for unconstitutional mandates to appease your 'feels'.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:17 pm »
So am I. Deal with 'reality'. I AM insured. And Obamacare is the problem. Too bad if that interferes with your desire for unconstitutional mandates to appease your 'feels'.

The ONLY thing ObamaCare has accomplished aside from destroying the health care insurance industry (which they told us they intended to do), is to create mediocrity, bad care, no care and ridiculously high premiums and lack of coverage upon everyone else - thus fulfilling the only thing Leftistism is good at: to redistribute misery equally among the plebes who are not in government service.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 08:48:43 pm »
The ONLY thing ObamaCare has accomplished aside from destroying the health care insurance industry (which they told us they intended to do), is to create mediocrity, bad care, no care and ridiculously high premiums and lack of coverage upon everyone else - thus fulfilling the only thing Leftistism is good at: to redistribute misery equally among the plebes who are not in government service.

You're on a roll today!  Keep up the good work!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:27 pm »

To be fair, it also got plenty of people to out themselves as supporters of leftism and leftist policies. Witness the answer above to a real world result of Obamacare.

"Oh piss off Norm you miserable old bastard."

The typical left answer. Not in the slightest bit concerned that the system they support is a failure. In fact they admit that many could probably say the same as I. A multiple failure, insured or not! All they care about is keeping that failure going to 'feel good about themselves' and 'piss off you miserable old bastard' should anyone speak ill of the failure.

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 08:52:43 pm »
To be fair, it also got plenty of people to out themselves as supporters of leftism and leftist policies. Witness the answer above to a real world result of Obamacare.

"Oh piss off Norm you miserable old bastard."

The typical left answer. Not in the slightest bit concerned that the system they support is a failure. In fact they admit that many could probably say the same as I. A multiple failure, insured or not! All they care about is keeping that failure going to 'feel good about themselves' and 'piss off you miserable old bastard' should anyone speak ill of the failure.

Normie, please see my signature, thank you.

I know full well the havoc obamacare is wrecking on people, believe me. I also know some people with pre-existing conditions who have been helped. And the media will no doubt find every sob story they can when dealing with this. I was just being realistic about this.