Author Topic: Back pain may raise risk of mental health problems  (Read 708 times)

rangerrebew

Back pain may raise risk of mental health problems
« on: February 14, 2017, 01:35:13 pm »
Back pain may raise risk of mental health problems
Written by Tim Newman
Published: Monday 5 December 2016
email
524Share
A study, involving almost 200,000 participants, finds that individuals who have back pain are more likely to also experience a range of mental health issues. Knowing about these links could form a more successful treatment plan for both sets of conditions.
[Man with back pain illustration]
According to recent findings, back pain and mental health are deeply linked.

Back pain is a leading cause of disability across the globe. In fact, it causes more global disability than any other condition.

According to the Global Burden of Disease study, lower back pain affects almost 1 in 10 people.

There is also a wealth of evidence that back pain negatively impacts quality of life and heightens the risk of other physical health problems. Additionally, it comes with substantial healthcare cost.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314493.php
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:35:49 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline thackney

Re: Back pain may raise risk of mental health problems
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:42:12 pm »
I know my low back pain drives me crazy.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 03:48:26 pm »

I realized just a couple of days ago that my low back pain has been gone for months.  I credit it to all the walking I do to keep our Great Pyrenees exercised.  I can't remember the last time my lower back hurt. 

"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 07:33:47 pm »
Had laminectomy, injections, radiofrequency ablation and therapy for my lumbar issues and I still have periods like this last week where the pain is excruciating if I move. I probably should have had a fusion like they did for my neck, but after two spinal surgeries and a total knee in less than two years it will be a cold day in hell before they drag me back into an O.R., people will just have to deal with me being mental............as if that's something new! :tongue2:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 07:46:59 pm »
I've heard any kind of chronic pain will give you depression. It's truly a terrible thing.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:48:49 pm »
I've heard any kind of chronic pain will give you depression. It's truly a terrible thing.

Low back pain seems to effect nearly everything you do, sitting, moving, standing, even laying down when it is really bad.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 11:27:54 am »
I certainly believe it. My pain is driving me crazy, too, but I'm trying not to let it get me down.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org