Author Topic: Woman suing Popeyes says flesh-eating screwworms ate her ‘from the inside out’  (Read 2834 times)

Online corbe

Woman suing Popeyes says flesh-eating screwworms ate her ‘from the inside out’

Posted 5:00 pm, February 13, 2017, by Nadia Judith Enchassi and Tribune Media Wire

SAN ANTONIO – A Texas woman has a bone to pick with Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen.

Karen Goode, of San Antonio, is suing for $1,000,000 after she said rice and beans she ate at Popeyes in spring 2015 were infested with flesh-eating worms, according to KDAF.

In the lawsuit filed in Bexar County, Goode's attorney, Patrick Stolmeier, argues the franchisee, Z&H Foods, should have known about the screwworms and never served the tainted food to customers.

He also described what Goode allegedly endured after consuming the screwworms:

"Plaintiff purchased rice and beans from Defendants' restaurant that contained flesh eating New World Screwworms, and Plaintiff unknowingly ingested the flesh eating screwworms. The flesh eating screwworms entered Plaintiff's digestive track, laid eggs which embedded in the interior lining of Plaintiff's small intestine, and when hatched, infested Plaintiff's body and began to eat Plaintiff alive from the inside-out."

Screwworms are maggots that infest livestock and other warm-blooded animals, including humans, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"After eggs hatch, larvae burrow and feed on flesh, causing severe tissue damage and may even be lethal to the host," according to the USDA website.

Goode survived, but her attorney said she became so ill she lost her business, house and cars.

According to the lawsuit, Goode has been "ravaged by E. coli" and Helicobacter Pylori, a bacteria that causes stomach ulcers.

She has also suffered injury to her neck, digestive track, shoulders and arm, and had to endure anxiety, pain, anguish and fear, Stolmeier said.

Popeyes spokeswoman Renee Kopkowski responded to the lawsuit in a statement to the Washington Post:

“We don’t discuss details of litigation, but we can tell you that we understand that, while investigating this matter, the franchisee has worked with outside parties who have found the claims to be unfounded and false. We can also assure you that the side dishes at this local Popeyes and all Popeyes restaurants have a strict standard and are cooked and maintained at 165 degrees Fahrenheit, a temperature that would make it impossible for bacteria or other foreign matter to survive the cooking process."

<..snip..>

http://kfor.com/2017/02/13/woman-suing-popeyes-says-flesh-eating-screwworms-ate-her-from-the-inside-out/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Apparently she was the only person that ate the rice and beans at Popeyes that day, it's like.............magic!

Wingnut

"Hello my Name is Karen Rene Goode I presently live in San Antonio, Texas. I am the Owner of A Cricket Cell Phone Store. I have taken acting classes a St Philip's College In San Antonio, Texas i am waiting for someone to pick this face so i can do what i like to do Act."

Looks like she found herself a gig....acting.

geronl

if the franchisee is not properly storing and tossing old or contaminated food, the chain could revoke their franchise agreement.

Offline Frank Cannon

"Hello my Name is Karen Rene Goode I presently live in San Antonio, Texas. I am the Owner of A Cricket Cell Phone Store. I have taken acting classes a St Philip's College In San Antonio, Texas i am waiting for someone to pick this face so i can do what i like to do Act."

Thinking she might want to have the screwworms take a little more off that double chin.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Coulda been worse. Coulda been weasels...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TcfL84Kgqc

Online GtHawk

if the franchisee is not properly storing and tossing old or contaminated food, the chain could revoke their franchise agreement.
IF that were the case you would have many many affected patrons, not just one person who magically is the only one to be eaten from the inside by screwworms. I managed food for decades and saw more than my share of customers who were magically the only ones to get ill from the food on a day. I looked through some of the health inspection reports for San Antonio Popeyes and the lowest score I saw was 89 out of a hundred and only one location where there was some uncooked, still packaged chicken that was beyond the expiration date. This story sets off my
8detect8

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Still better than KFC.

Wingnut

Thinking she might want to have the screwworms take a little more off that double chin.

Should have been Tapeworms for this one Frank!

Offline andy58-in-nh

Judging from that picture, the worms should have worked from the outside in.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Should have been Tapeworms for this one Frank!
I think she took the "Wicked Chicken" moniker seriously.

Did she ask her voodoo doll is she should sue?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

IF that were the case you would have many many affected patrons, not just one person who magically is the only one to be eaten from the inside by screwworms. I managed food for decades and saw more than my share of customers who were magically the only ones to get ill from the food on a day. I looked through some of the health inspection reports for San Antonio Popeyes and the lowest score I saw was 89 out of a hundred and only one location where there was some uncooked, still packaged chicken that was beyond the expiration date. This story sets off my
8detect8

Ms. Goode will have to prove she was ill from these worms and that she contracted them from Popeyes.  I doubt she has such proof. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
The South Beach Parasite diet isn't working out so well.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Ms. Goode will have to prove she was ill from these worms and that she contracted them from Popeyes.  I doubt she has such proof.

Nah, she's hoping Popeyes settle out of court - not an unreasonable hope.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Silver Pines

Eaten from the inside out, and she lived to tell about it!

New World Screwworms could be a band name.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Don't youtube it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Applewood

Nah, she's hoping Popeyes settle out of court - not an unreasonable hope.

Well, if she doesn't have proof,  the company should stand its ground. 

I worked for an attorney who defended businesses in lawsuits of this nature.  Often what happens is one person sues a company over some questionable claim, the company settles or is found liable in a trial, then other people get the idea they can sue and get a nice check. 

Chipolte, Chi-Chis and maybe others were sued over E Coli or some such, and these companies paid up.  Chi-Chis actually went bankrupt.  How many of those claims were for real is unknown, but by paying one or a few, perhaps without evidence of wrongdoing, these companies opened the door for more lawsuits against them and other similar businesses.

Online goatprairie

Coulda been worse. Coulda been weasels...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TcfL84Kgqc
Damn you Lenhart....you beat me to it......I was going to insert that. 22222frying pan

geronl

She wants them to settle to keep this story from lingering in the media

Offline Applewood

:0001:

Negative publicity is a factor, but it should be weighed against opening the floodgates for perhaps thousands of similar lawsuits which could bankrupt the company.

If Popeyes feels so strongly that this case is a dog,  it may be in its best interests to fight it. 

Offline rodamala

Apparently she was the only person that ate the rice and beans at Popeyes that day, it's like.............magic!

@GtHawk

Just sprinkle some of dat Cajun Sparkle!  Magic!

Online GtHawk

I'm sure she does, but if there are no other victims to bolster her claim then the story won't have legs anywhere but in the conspiracy papers and blogs, and unless she had some unimpeachable source take pictures and witness said worms in her food right after the purchase and ingestion she's gonna have a real hard time proving Popeyes was at fault.

Online GtHawk

@GtHawk

Just sprinkle some of dat Cajun Sparkle!  Magic!

First I ever heard of Cajun Sparkle, unless it's a southern branch of the Sparkle Family (little late 60's, early 70's reference). Thought a requisite for Cajun Food was for it to be charred black, or maybe spiced to char on the way down.