Author Topic: Help the Poor Move  (Read 802 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Help the Poor Move
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:27:12 am »
by Kevin D. Williamson
February 13, 2017 4:00 AM
@kevinNR

Americans have often moved to find a better life. It’s part of the American way. For the past year or so, I have been involved in an on-again/off-again debate with a number of conservatives of the “paleo” tendency, Michael Brendan Dougherty prominent among them, on the question of what to do about economically stagnant and socially dysfunctional communities. This has taken place in the context of the election year’s attention to what we euphemistically call the “white working class” (its main problem is that it is not working) and its attraction to Donald Trump’s anti-capitalist populism. The answer I have come up with — that people should leave those communities, if they can, and seek better lives for themselves elsewhere — has scandalized some of my friends on the right.

It shouldn’t. And, in the past, it didn’t: No conservative social critic ever blinked an eye or coughed up his cognac when the best advice from the right to the discontented and ambitious poor was to get out of the ghetto or the barrio, get an education, get a job, and start a new life and a new family in some more prosperous corner of the county or country. But the dead and dying and white towns of Appalachia and the Rust Belt are another story. “Why should they have to go elsewhere?” our freshly created populists demand. The answer is, Because the lives they desire are not to be had where they are; their communities, along with their families in many cases, are terribly sick, and the hard truth is that they’d be better off putting some distance between themselves and them...

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444841/help-poor-relocate-find-better-jobs-opportunity?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Trending%20Email%20Reoccurring-%20Monday%20to%20Thursday%202017-02-13&utm_term=NR5PM%20Actives
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:27:45 am by Sanguine »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Help the Poor Move
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:34:16 am »
Bookmark

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 03:36:37 am »
The Grapes of Raff?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:56:09 am »
Williamson is a bleephead. He even looks like one.