Author Topic: Boycotters on the Left and the Right should be embarrassed  (Read 839 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Boycotters on the Left and the Right should be embarrassed
« on: February 13, 2017, 11:48:38 pm »
People on the Left and the Right have been boycotting huge businesses like Uber, Budweiser, Under Armour and Nordstrom. Are they doing it for the right reasons or are they just being "special snowflakes"?

Uber vowed to continue providing rides to patrons during a taxi strike in New York. Budweiser aired a commercial depicting one of their founders immigrating to the United States. The CEO of Under Armour announced his support for Trump's business acumen. Nordstrom announced that it will soon stop selling Ivanka Trump's brand in their stores. All four of these events sparked separate hashtags calling for each company to be boycotted.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/boycotters-on-the-left-and-the-right-should-be-embarrassed/article/2614624

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Boycotters on the Left and the Right should be embarrassed
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 11:59:30 pm »
Really? No one gave a shit about boycotts when they were mostly focused on the Right last year. Now that Leftist companies are feeling the heat we all need to ratchet down the politics. Like hell. It's my money and I will do with it what I please. Nordstoms is going to notice my departure if last years spending is any indication.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 12:16:05 am »
It's an individual decision.

And Ivanka's stuff is reportedly selling like never before. It's probably that no one knew of her stuff before the retailers boycotted her.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 02:12:45 am »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:04:39 am »
The whole thing has become tiresome and hypocritical. Its like watching a bunch of middle school children declaring what is cool vs uncool.

Uber gets hit with a liberal boycott for the crime of not taking a position while in the other side they flap their gums about "Murican Jahbs!" only to turn around and boycott. Both sides are harming Americans more than any issue a couple of people in Corporate HQ could ever do on their own.

No wonder business wants to flee this country but in this case retail is being harmed the most which again primarily harms the Americans working there.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:49:34 am »
Really? No one gave a shit about boycotts when they were mostly focused on the Right last year. Now that Leftist companies are feeling the heat we all need to ratchet down the politics. Like hell. It's my money and I will do with it what I please. Nordstoms is going to notice my departure if last years spending is any indication.
Nordstrom's won't miss me--I have never shopped there

But I agree in that my money is my money and I'm not going to spend it where they support causes I don't.

As to whether it has any great effect on the stores or not, I don't care, but I am the one I please by spending my money where I want to and ultimately not supporting causes I don't want to support.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:56:46 pm »
The whole thing has become tiresome and hypocritical. Its like watching a bunch of middle school children declaring what is cool vs uncool.

Uber gets hit with a liberal boycott for the crime of not taking a position while in the other side they flap their gums about "Murican Jahbs!" only to turn around and boycott. Both sides are harming Americans more than any issue a couple of people in Corporate HQ could ever do on their own.

No wonder business wants to flee this country but in this case retail is being harmed the most which again primarily harms the Americans working there.

I think I understand. Boycott boycotts because it is the best thing I won't do for this country.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 01:19:52 pm »
I rarely boycott businesses,  but I do make the effort to try to buy American and buy local when I can.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 01:41:33 pm »
One advantage of living outside a very small town is that I'm nowhere near all these businesses I'm "supposed" to be boycotting, so Nordstroms, Target, et al., won't notice my failure to darken their doors.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:43:22 pm »
I rarely boycott businesses,  but I do make the effort to try to buy American and buy local when I can.

I'm not boycotting WalMart but 9 times out of 10 I'll go to Meijer instead and I have a sister who is a nearly 30 year employee of WalMart. Meijer is competitively priced and carries a lot of American made and locally grown produce. If WalMart is closest I'll go in there before driving across town to Meijer. Its important to note that there are 2 Meijer stores and 1 WalMart in my county. I've never been a fan of Target so that's rarely even been a consideration.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 01:47:48 pm »
Nordstrom's won't miss me--I have never shopped there

More of a Neimans guy, uh? Well la ti da.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 02:01:27 pm »
One advantage of living outside a very small town is that I'm nowhere near all these businesses I'm "supposed" to be boycotting, so Nordstroms, Target, et al., won't notice my failure to darken their doors.

You'll notice that in small towns you don't have the ridiculous "convenience" businesses like Starbucks anyway. If we buy a cup of coffee it will be at the gas station for under a buck. My little town doesn't even have a gas station so that isn't even a consideration.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 02:17:07 pm »

Bump!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 11:16:53 pm »
More of a Neimans guy, uh? Well la ti da.
There is no Nordstrom's in my state. Since I am in the western end of North Dakota I checked Montana and South Dakota, too. Nope. I don't have to strain myself to avoid setting foot in one. The closest one is in The Mall of America over in Minnesota.

As for Neiman's, they're even farther out. Considering I haven't owned a suit since mine were destroyed in the fire back in '13, it's moot anyway.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:17:12 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis