Author Topic: Royal Navy rescues 14 crew from stricken yacht in Atlantic  (Read 539 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Royal Navy rescues 14 crew from stricken yacht in Atlantic
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:29:27 am »
Royal Navy rescues 14 crew from stricken yacht in Atlantic

The Associated Press
LONDON

In this photo provided by the Ministry of Defence on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017, crew from the Royal Navy's Type 45 destroyer HMS Dragon, man a large sea boat as they help to rescue crew members from a racing yacht in the Atlantic Ocean. Britain's Royal Navy says a warship has rescued 14 sailors after their racing yacht lost its mast, leaving them stranded in the mid- Atlantic. Britain's Coast Guard received a mayday signal from the 60-foot 18-meter) Clyde Challenger late Thursday.

Britain's Royal Navy says a warship has rescued 14 sailors after their racing yacht lost its mast, leaving them stranded in the mid- Atlantic.

Britain's Coast Guard received a mayday signal from the 60-foot (18-meter) Clyde Challenger late Thursday.

Royal Air Force and U.S. Air Force planes helped search for the yacht, and a passing chemical tanker attempted a rescue but was hampered by bad weather.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/world/article132268739.html#storylink=cpy

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Royal Navy rescues 14 crew from stricken yacht in Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 12:18:17 pm »
Demasted.  Glad no one was hurt.  When we started doing ocean sailing, I insisted hubby buy a new oversized motor.  Even if we lost the mast and the rudder we could still make way.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 01:36:41 pm »
Demasted.  Glad no one was hurt.  When we started doing ocean sailing, I insisted hubby buy a new oversized motor.  Even if we lost the mast and the rudder we could still make way.

Outboard? You'd need either an outboard or twin screws individually powered to maintain steerage. An outboard on a ocean going sailboat in a blow would be very difficult to use. Better idea would be a sea anchor to keep the nose in the weather and ride it out.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:57:44 pm »
Outboard? You'd need either an outboard or twin screws individually powered to maintain steerage. An outboard on a ocean going sailboat in a blow would be very difficult to use. Better idea would be a sea anchor to keep the nose in the weather and ride it out.

We do have a sea anchor.  This is a Catalina.  We are NOT going that far out in the ocean.  The oversized outboard has come in re handy twice now.  We don't sail in questionable weather.  We have friends who were demasted in good weather due to the stupidity of a third party.  I don't want to be stuck trying to sail the boat alone if something  happens to my husband.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:01:17 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 02:09:49 pm »
We do have a sea anchor.  This is a Catalina.  We are NOT going that far out in the ocean.  The oversized outboard has come in re handy twice now.  We don't sail in questionable weather.  We have friends who were demasted in good weather due to the stupidity of a third party.  I don't want to be stuck trying to sail the boat alone if something  happens to my husband.

I like Catalina, I had a Catalina 22 before I stepped up to a J-24. Always wanted a Catalina 30, great all around affordable sailboat. Now if I had the money I'd go for a J-33. 

Well in your case a good outboard is a must.  You don't want to lose steerage in a blow and you don't want to get blown onto shore.  I good danforth anchor with a long line saved me more than once when I was learned to sail the little 22. Enjoy your boat sometimes I wish I still had mine.