Author Topic: She asked me about getting a gun...  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Suppressed

She asked me about getting a gun...
« on: February 12, 2017, 04:45:33 am »
Apologies if this should go elsewhere, but I just want to share my jubilation at a happening.

An old friend, who for decades has been anti-gun and argued against me, just admitted to me that she's looking at getting a gun for her defense.  She lives in California, and she's getting older...and realizes that she can no longer just "move to a safer area".

So I'm going to be helping her find something that fits her needs.  ^-^
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: She asked me about getting a gun...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:10:18 am »
 :beer:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:29:57 am »
Don't get a 45.
Don't get a hand cannon.
Small 9mm. And do not empty the clip. Drag them back if they run.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:25:19 am »
Teach her the five rules of a gun fight:

1) gun beats no gun
2) a hit beats a miss
3) fast beats slow
4) bigger holes beat smaller holes
5) two holes beat one hole

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 05:28:19 pm »
Ladies like to learn from ladies.  Here are a few resources for her.

The Well Armed Woman  https://thewellarmedwoman.com/

NRA Women  http://www.nrawomen.tv/

Top 10 Gun Blogs for Women  https://welikeshooting.com/blog/top-10-gun-blogs-for-women/

The cardinal sin in getting women into shooting is plopping a 38 snubbie in front of them and telling them to have at it.  Smaller is not better. At least learn on a full size 22 then go from there. 

My wife is a ladies instructor. This is a "programmed" response on my part. It's also true. Sorry to be repetitive if you already know this. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 06:11:39 pm »
Thanks for sharing in my joy and the advice.

Since I'm across the country from her, I'm relying on a gun shop to help, but making sure she feels cofortable with what she gets.  And yup...no hand cannons!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:03:20 pm »
Apologies if this should go elsewhere, but I just want to share my jubilation at a happening.

An old friend, who for decades has been anti-gun and argued against me, just admitted to me that she's looking at getting a gun for her defense.  She lives in California, and she's getting older...and realizes that she can no longer just "move to a safer area".

Does she want to carry, or only for in her home?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 05:00:11 am »
Nearly every gun I own has a "Not Legal in California" label on the case so  her choices won't be as broad as for us who still live in America, but by wife loves her Glock 43. Sheld in 9mm is also a good choice.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 11:36:27 am »
Does she want to carry, or only for in her home?

Both carry and home.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 11:37:32 am »
Nearly every gun I own has a "Not Legal in California" label on the case so  her choices won't be as broad as for us who still live in America
I hadn't considered that.

but by wife loves her Glock 43. Sheld in 9mm is also a good choice.

Thanks!
+++++++++

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 11:52:36 am »
Thanks for sharing in my joy and the advice.

Since I'm across the country from her, I'm relying on a gun shop to help, but making sure she feels cofortable with what she gets.  And yup...no hand cannons!

I sort of fell in love with the Glock 43.  An older gentleman at the gun store gave me a list of guns to try at the local gun range.  I bought the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard M&P .380.  Perfect for me.  Nothing to cock, which is good because my hands are not as strong as they used to be and I've injured my right hand.  I struggled cocking any of the semi automatics.  It has a laser sight and it is dead simple to operate, clean and lubricate.  It will fit nicely in my purse when I get my concealed carry.  Best of all I put a big ragged hole right over the center of the target the first time I was at the gun range.

I bought a family membership at the gun range which allows husband and I to practice frequently  and to call on the instructors for help free of charge. 

I am comfortable and confident with this gun, which is what you want for your friend.  Ladies, especially older ladies may need something different than the average man.  You want her to have something that she is confident enough to use when the situation calls for it.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 07:42:52 pm »
Found the video I was looking for yesterday. A great review by ladies fairly new to shooting using  popular carry guns. This was made before the G43. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7nWBMIeIXI
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:44:03 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline r9etb

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 07:54:04 pm »
She lives in California, and she's getting older...and realizes that she can no longer just "move to a safer area".

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 08:15:02 pm »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 08:19:20 pm »
Great advice and humor!  You're an awesome bunch.  Thank you!
+++++++++

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 08:47:59 pm »
Don't get a 45.
Don't get a hand cannon.
Small 9mm. And do not empty the clip. Drag them back if they run.

@240B
Get the gun that works for you, sometimes its a 45.

Its not a clip, its a magazine.  You should keep firing until the threat is gone.  If that means you reload then reload.

DO NOT drag or touch the body except to perform first aid.   If you don't have cause to use deadly force then don't.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 12:01:43 am »

The .38 Special revolver with hollow point ammo is a good ladies' gun.  It's simpler than a semi-auto.  Also, it doesn't require the kind of grip strength the user needs for racking the slide. 

I would recommend a revolver with a hammer, so she can cock it to make the trigger pull lighter when she fires.  If the trigger is too tight, but she wants to be able to fire it without cocking it every time, a gunsmith can ordinarily get a lighter spring assembly installed for her.

BTW, there is such a thing as a gun being too small, especially for a female.  The gun needs to have enough mass to absorb a decent amount of the recoil.  I once test-fired a very compact .38 Special revolver for my wife to see if she could handle it, and I could barely stand the kick myself.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 12:20:33 am »
The .38 Special revolver with hollow point ammo is a good ladies' gun.  It's simpler than a semi-auto.  Also, it doesn't require the kind of grip strength the user needs for racking the slide. 

I would recommend a revolver with a hammer, so she can cock it to make the trigger pull lighter when she fires.
  If the trigger is too tight, but she wants to be able to fire it without cocking it every time, a gunsmith can ordinarily get a lighter spring assembly installed for her.

Totally agree!  I really like this one:  http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=Taurus+Model+85+Ultralite+.38+Special

Offline the_doc

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 12:55:20 am »
Totally agree!  I really like this one:  http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=Taurus+Model+85+Ultralite+.38+Special

Yep!  The Taurus is a good weapon.  The +P is a good round.  Still, I would recommend that Suppressed let his friend try out a rental gun at a shooting range before making a purchase.  She might prefer a slightly heaver gun. 

My wife and I wound up getting her a Smith & Wesson .357 that also fires .38 Special.  She keeps it loaded with the .38 Special rounds.  (Our S&W is a little large for CCW, but it works okay in a regular purse or a medium-sized fanny pack.  OTOH, the price is certainly right for the Taurus you linked me to.)

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 01:05:36 am »
An old friend, who for decades has been anti-gun and argued against me, just admitted to me that she's looking at getting a gun for her defense.

You plan on also mocking her unmercilessly correct?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 01:08:24 am »

The cardinal sin in getting women into shooting is plopping a 38 snubbie in front of them and telling them to have at it.  Smaller is not better. At least learn on a full size 22 then go from there. 

I feel a new handgun shooter should start out learning the fundamentals with a 22 of the same style as the self defense handgun.

And if a 38 Special is chosen, then start out shooting Target loads. A good load to start with would be 148gr Wadcutter ammo.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 11:45:14 pm »
Found the video I was looking for yesterday. A great review by ladies fairly new to shooting using  popular carry guns. This was made before the G43. 

I just got a chance to watch that video, @NavyCanDo.  It's really good!
+++++++++

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 04:40:04 pm »
I just got a chance to watch that video, @NavyCanDo.  It's really good!

When my wife was looking for her first gun I had her watch that video, then took her to a few gun shows and ranges where she could rent and try out guns. She chose the Glock 43 9mm. Do note, about the G43. We changed the Glock sights to 3 dot FIber Optics and had some trigger work done. The stock trigger was awful. My Shield we never had to spend a dime on.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 04:58:06 pm »
Wow....quite the couch potato's armament.  Looks like it would be fun hunting hogs with that thing.  Of course they'd never hear you coming...lol.

Isn't that one of those special wheelchairs for wounded warriors? 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 09:58:39 pm »

I'd love to have one in my home too. A little one. @Suppressed
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:01:07 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️