Author Topic: The Dismal State of American History Knowledge in the U.S.  (Read 1232 times)

rangerrebew

The Dismal State of American History Knowledge in the U.S.
« on: February 11, 2017, 10:12:47 pm »
The Dismal State of American History Knowledge in the U.S.
Dr. Alan Snyder
on 11 February, 2017 at 10:00

9shares Share Tweet Pin

Recently, I was asked to speak at a Lakeland, Florida, Kiwanis meeting. The subject I was given was how much the younger generation knows about American history. The concern over reports of ignorance of America’s past was the impetus for this invitation.

I’ll give the gist of what I said.

I began with an anecdote from a teacher that appeared in Education Week a couple of years ago. She tutors in a poor section of Brooklyn and noted that of all the subjects her students have to pass to receive their high-school diploma, the one they fail most regularly is the American history exam.

A student she calls Tony is typical:

http://barbwire.com/2017/02/11/the-dismal-state-of-american-history-knowledge/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:13:42 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: The Dismal State of American History Knowledge in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 02:28:25 am »
Well, at least some kids do have history classes.  I know of schools which stopped history, geography and sometimes even science classes.  The districts needed money to build their sports programs.  Seems that they are of the belief if you can quarterback like Tom Brady or play hoops like LeBron James, you don't need to know history, geography or science.  Heck, some schools don't care if you are functionally illiterate, so long as you excel in your sport.  Never mind that most high school athletes never make it to the pros, or if they do, their careers are short-lived.  Then what do they do? 

Our education system wants to keep the kids illiterate and ignorant of the past and present.  After all, the "government" will take care of them, so why do they need to know these things?  An illiterate, uneducated citizenry is much easier to control. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 02:38:11 am »
The writer is laboring under the false assumption that the movement away from US history in universities is unintentional.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 02:43:06 am »
The writer is laboring under the false assumption that the movement away from US history in universities is unintentional.

yup

geronl

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:44:57 am »

Has anyone wondered why there has been no film about the first black members of Congress? Probably would have to be titled something like "The Radical Republicans". It'd be a great story to tell, about the road some of them took to get there, but the media and schools seem completely uninterested in it.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 02:46:23 am »
Well, at least some kids do have history classes.

They have rewritten history into snippets and episodes with leftist messages. I bet most teenagers think slavery was only in America.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 04:11:49 am »

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 12:16:21 pm »
I have the impression that for most American students, history (as the schools teach it) begins around 1950. They learn about civil rights and Vietnam, maybe. The worst of it is not teaching civics or anything about the Constitution, separation of powers, etc. I remember in 9th grade or so having to memorize the names of all of the then-serving Cabinet members. That probably would be considered child abuse today.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 12:41:59 pm »
I have the impression that for most American students, history (as the schools teach it) begins around 1950. They learn about civil rights and Vietnam, maybe. The worst of it is not teaching civics or anything about the Constitution, separation of powers, etc. I remember in 9th grade or so having to memorize the names of all of the then-serving Cabinet members. That probably would be considered child abuse today.  :pondering:

Our oldest granddaughter lives in Orlando.  I usually fly to Orlando, pick her up and then we would ride the Amtrak back to NC.  This particular trip was spring break and we were taking her to Washington DC.  On the train, I discovered that she had NO knowledge of American history.  She knew a tiny bit about George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King.  That was it.  I bought a couple of books in NC, that we went through on our way to DC in the car.

The next year she started in a private (church affiliated) school.  She is a sophomore at a prep school, a boarding school in NC.  In these venues she is getting a decent education in American History.

We are taking my grandson, 10, to DC this summer.  I've given him his reading assignments.  He is in a private school for gifted students (he is taking 11th grade courses).  He has had no American History to this point.  I asked point blank when they intended to introduce those courses.  The answer was that there is a semester in 5th grade.  Go figure, he reads on the college level but he's not old enough (or smart enough) for American History.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:42:27 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 12:51:57 pm »
@ConstitutionRose , wow, that's ridiculous! I don't know what else my niece's public school in the Pittsburgh suburbs might offer, but this year she elected to take a Black History class.  She's indoctrinated, but not very well educated, I'd wager.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 12:55:18 pm »

Here in Michigan we have state senator Pat Colbeck who has some good ideas on education.

Some of his revisions. (Things like stopping the teaching of "activism" to children to young or educated to know what they're protesting. Prevent teachers from teaching that America is a "democracy", constitutional literacy requirements for graduation etc.)

http://www.senatorpatrickcolbeck.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/New-Standards-Review-Table.pdf

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 03:07:06 pm »

If I had the skills I would remove the word perhaps from it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien