Author Topic: The second civil war is coming  (Read 9526 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: The second civil war is coming
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2017, 08:50:24 pm »
I know.  But for some unknown reason, I am less worried about that future now that Obama is out of office and Hillary's not in.  I realize that I should never let down my guard or stop being prepared now.  Murphy's Law - Murphy loves unpleasant surprises....that's when Murphy gets you... just when you start to feel 'safe'....lolol.

Sadly, I do not share in your relief.  :shrug:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2017, 09:14:07 pm »
@Victoria33
I would be interested in your opinion as to how long it took you to become competent -merely competent- in the art of gardening and canning. I don't think folks have any idea.

You're preaching to the choir. Actually, I have a two or three tiered approach, with more options and luxury the closer I can stay to a castle mentality...
@roamer_1
@XenaLee
@mystery-ak
@Quix

"I would be interested in your opinion as to how long it took you to become competent -merely competent- in the art of gardening and canning."

First, I researched how to garden.  The first year I did it, I failed.  I got the seeds sprouted inside, then planted them in the ground.  I found the ground is evil.  Murderers of plants live underground and attack the plants and murder them.  I found the Texas hot sun is evil as it murdered the climbing food plants on the back fence.  I found squirrels are evil murderers, too, as are murdering birds, and murdering flying insects.  I watched regular squash plants die in two days due to moths.  So, I made a plan for the following year. 

I left the murdering earth and went to container gardening.  I used potting soil, (not regular dirt with evil creatures in it), which loves plants.  I put containers on top of the murdering dirt and constructed a net placed on top of a large umbrella after I removed the material from the umbrella, leaving only a metal skeleton on which the net was placed.  That kept out murdering squirrels, birds, flying insects.

More containers were put on a very large deck with net placed over them, held up by stakes.  Vines were held up with stakes, as were new Tromboncino squash plants which resists moths. Strawberry plants were excellent in low boxes on the deck.   

I also planted numerous types of the same plant so I could choose the best types for next year's garden.  I kept records on all of the plants. 

Canning:  I am old and watched my mother can every year so I knew the basics.  I researched present methods of canning and have the equipment for that and know how to do it.

"I have a two or three tiered approach..."

I also have three or more ways to do everything.  I sort of went overboard and have 10 ways to cook.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:17:44 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2017, 09:41:00 pm »
I also have three or more ways to do everything.  I sort of went overboard and have 10 ways to cook.

Me too.  I'm using my favorite way to cook tonight.  Go to Pizza Hut online and tell them to make me one, and bring it over.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2017, 10:03:04 pm »
I left the murdering earth and went to container gardening.  I used potting soil, (not regular dirt with evil creatures in it), which loves plants.  I put containers on top of the murdering dirt and constructed a net placed on top of a large umbrella after I removed the material from the umbrella, leaving only a metal skeleton on which the net was placed.  That kept out murdering squirrels, birds, flying insects.

@Victoria33

LOL! I am here these past five years, three of which included attempts at gardening, and I have not yet harvested enough to worry about canning. The first two years were just weeds... Weeds by the ton. Even in my raised strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry patches...  JUST the time it takes to culture a garden space is framed in terms of years. Last year was a pretty good harvest - the weeds finally under control... But with abundance came the deer, the coons, the skunks, the voles, the mice, the geese, and etcetera... Wiped out.

This year I am finally catching on... the entire 20x40 space will have a timber in the ground, with 2x4 welded wire buried flat, outward from the timber... An 8' high timber frame will be constructed upon that border, with chicken wire and hog panels attached... I have found an old high tunnel frame which I am going to re-purpose for use across the top, with plastic chicken wire stretched across... With panels fitted around the outside to hold plastic, and plastic to stretch across the top too, in order to lengthen my growing season. It will be a greenhouse until summer, when the plastic will be removed, and then reinstalled as summer wanes. Here it is the cold that kills, not the heat.

So in my experience, going into my fourth year, having never yet purchasing a single canning jar, I can boldly say there's YEARS involved in making a garden grow. And all that with my mother ready to hand with her many decades of knowledge. 

Canning:  I am old and watched my mother can every year so I knew the basics.  I researched present methods of canning and have the equipment for that and know how to do it.

This summer should see my outdoor kitchen constructed - I have already learned, just from chicken processing, that your typical kitchen is woefully inadequate to the task when processing. There is no way I will be processing chickens or garden inside. That makes two fairly large construction projects necessary for reasonable production, that I had no idea I was going to need.

Jussayin. It is not (as you say) just flinging some seeds around.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:10:06 pm by roamer_1 »

Wingnut

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2017, 12:35:12 am »
I'm not gonna defend your strawman. Nothing I've said here resembles what you've asserted.

Once you understand his arguments are founded in liberal dogma it is easy to follow his logic.

Silver Pines

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2017, 12:35:56 am »
There is no irony, when taking into account he is a liberal, plain and simple.

The history of this site and its agenda, is to keep a few of them around to stir things up.

Notice how the (uneven) modding protects them?

@truth_seeker

You've been here a lot longer than me.  isn't it true that TBR is for any Republican who wants to post here, whether conservative, or more moderate/liberal?  That's always been my understanding.

It seems pretty silly to say posters are being "kept" here.  That implies that a number of them have been banned, and you know that isn't true.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2017, 12:44:26 am »

@truth_seeker

You've been here a lot longer than me.  isn't it true that TBR is for any Republican who wants to post here, whether conservative, or more moderate/liberal?  That's always been my understanding.

It seems pretty silly to say posters are being "kept" here.  That implies that a number of them have been banned, and you know that isn't true.
It is now my opinion, the site's definition, mission, has meandered. Initially it was for "GOP" hence the name.

Later it became "conservative, hence the Reagan photo.

Only when Trump came along, did it essentially become #nevertrump with yet another change of mission, to "political forum," although different places, use different definitions.

I am done mincing words, over what liberals have to say on the site. If they say liberal things, I will so state.

I believe the site likes controversy, so posts a lot of liberal biased material to generate discussion, even generate controversy.

Therefore protecting various liberals is beneficial to maintaining that level of controversy.

If you don't like what I have to say, ignore me or try to get me banned.

A new political paradigm is underway, regardless of whether this site recognizes it or ignores it.

306 electoral votes worth of new political paradigm. It is NOT the paradigm of Politico, NYT, WaPo, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Silver Pines

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2017, 12:54:41 am »
@truth_seeker

It is now my opinion, the site's definition, mission, has meandered. Initially it was for "GOP" hence the name.

That's not what I was told when I came here eight months ago.  "GOP" encompasses Republicans of all stripes, and Reagan is sort of a natural choice for the banner, isn't he?

Only when Trump came along, did it essentially become #nevertrump with yet another change of mission, to "political forum," although different places, use different definitions.

These changes seem to be in your mind only, since I've seen nothing of the kind even mentioned. 

I am done mincing words, over what liberals have to say on the site. If they say liberal things, I will so state.

Well, I don't know why you were mincing them to begin with.  We're supposed to be courteous here, but that doesn't preclude strong opinion.  Besides, if we can't defend our positions to liberal types, what good are we?  There are other places where you can go to drift along in a comfortable mind-numbed bubble.

I believe the site likes controversy, so posts a lot of liberal biased material to generate discussion, even generate controversy.

I've seen none of that material.  Can you provide examples?

Therefore protecting various liberals is beneficial to maintaining that level of controversy.

This is mere fantasy on your part.

Are you speaking of the board in general, or to me specifically?

A new political paradigm is underway, regardless of whether this site recognizes it or ignores it.

306 electoral votes worth of new political paradigm. It is NOT the paradigm of Politico, NYT, WaPo, etc.

Yeah, an election was won.  So why can't we chill the rage for a little and hold the new occupant of the Oval Office to his promises so that he can do his job?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2017, 12:56:40 am »
But how can it be avoided?

By seeing other people as people, and not as vessels holding abstract beliefs.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2017, 01:01:48 am »
I can manage that.

But what if the other side won't?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2017, 01:05:02 am »
I can manage that.

But what if the other side won't?

Then treat them as people, and see what happens.

Works like a charm.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2017, 01:22:36 am »

Works like a charm.

I spent the day with my most liberal sister and brother in law.

I took them on a mini driving tour of Hillsdale Colllege and got to impress upon them the fact that it was founded by "Free Methodists (I think) and was one of if not the first university in the nation to admit blacks. I also pointed out the Frederick Douglass spoke there twice as did such notables as Margret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. I also pointed out that Pat Sajak is a member of the board of directors.

They paid for my prescription when the pharmacy down there wouldn't take my insurance.

Thatcher visit to Hillsdale recalled

http://www.hillsdale.net/article/20080428/NEWS/304289998

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2017, 01:41:20 am »

I took them on a mini driving tour of Hillsdale Colllege and got to impress upon them the fact that it was founded by "Free Methodists (I think) and was one of if not the first university in the nation to admit blacks. I also pointed out the Frederick Douglass spoke there twice as did such notables as Margret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. I also pointed out that Pat Sajak is a member of the board of directors.

They paid for my prescription when the pharmacy down there wouldn't take my insurance.

They get a little money from us each year. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2017, 02:29:58 am »

Works like a charm.

I'm sure I'll continue to get along fine with my liberal family members and relations.

But f violence comes I doubt I'll have the chance to follow your advise. It'll be the idiot in the Guy Fawks mask cold cocking you from behind, or the BLM mob that catches you coming out of a restaurant one night.

As I've repeatedly said its not the way I want it. But it seems to be the way things are progressing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:53:07 am by skeeter »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2017, 02:44:26 am »

Do you want a Kumbaya, Feel good, Love in?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2017, 02:46:23 am »

A great College.  You could stand in my Grandmother's back yard and literally hit the place with a stone.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline r9etb

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2017, 02:53:33 am »
Do you want a Kumbaya, Feel good, Love in?

Do you want to sit around hating people?

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2017, 03:14:43 am »
I know.  But for some unknown reason, I am less worried about that future now that Obama is out of office and Hillary's not in.  I realize that I should never let down my guard or stop being prepared now.  Murphy's Law - Murphy loves unpleasant surprises....that's when Murphy gets you... just when you start to feel 'safe'....lolol.

I have perfect peace about whatever is coming.  My prepping is done on my knees.  My refuge and safety is in my Savior Jesus.  I have the feeling with what is coming He is the only place of safety. 
God is still in control

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2017, 03:24:27 am »
I have perfect peace about whatever is coming.  My prepping is done on my knees.  My refuge and safety is in my Savior Jesus.  I have the feeling with what is coming He is the only place of safety.

Amen.  But, we do need to keep oil for our lamps.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2017, 03:40:56 am »

Highly ironic, considering that you backed the most liberal candidate running, and the only Democrat to run as a Republican candidate in history.

Anything you say about liberalism on this board is sheer fantasy.

This is a Republican site and some of us are Conservative Republicans (or at least we WERE Republican until a minority of you forced a Democrat on us).

Some of you aren't the least bit conservative, but it sure ain't the ones opposing Trump.

(I know you don't have the guts to debate me, but I'm going to continue to refute your tripe every time you bash this forum with stuff you just make up).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2017, 04:12:25 am »
@truth_seeker

That's not what I was told when I came here eight months ago.  "GOP" encompasses Republicans of all stripes, and Reagan is sort of a natural choice for the banner, isn't he?

No, @CatherineofAragon, Ronald Reagan is not a natural choice for a GOP of all stripes.  Ronald Reagan is a Conservative icon.  If this is not a Conservative site, then it would be reasonable to remove Reagan's photo from the masthead.

@truth_seeker

Offline corbe

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2017, 06:13:39 am »

@truth_seeker what a RANT!

The internet is not free and neither is your speech (here), it has consequences.
    You are a guest in someone's home and the rules are clearly posted, show a little more Respect.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2017, 06:42:17 am »
@Victoria33

LOL! I am here these past five years, three of which included attempts at gardening, and I have not yet harvested enough to worry about canning. The first two years were just weeds... Weeds by the ton. Even in my raised strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry patches...  JUST the time it takes to culture a garden space is framed in terms of years. Last year was a pretty good harvest - the weeds finally under control... But with abundance came the deer, the coons, the skunks, the voles, the mice, the geese, and etcetera... Wiped out.

This year I am finally catching on... the entire 20x40 space will have a timber in the ground, with 2x4 welded wire buried flat, outward from the timber... An 8' high timber frame will be constructed upon that border, with chicken wire and hog panels attached... I have found an old high tunnel frame which I am going to re-purpose for use across the top, with plastic chicken wire stretched across... With panels fitted around the outside to hold plastic, and plastic to stretch across the top too, in order to lengthen my growing season. It will be a greenhouse until summer, when the plastic will be removed, and then reinstalled as summer wanes. Here it is the cold that kills, not the heat.  So in my experience, going into my fourth year, having never yet purchasing a single canning jar, I can boldly say there's YEARS involved in making a garden grow. And all that with my mother ready to hand with her many decades of knowledge. 
Jussayin. It is not (as you say) just flinging some seeds around.
@roamer_1

I used netting, you are using wire. I am a girl with small bones and I don't have the strength you do to deal will timbers and wire.

Yes, when people start out, they don't know how many ways a plant can be killed - they just see visions of heaping mounds of veggies/fruits.  I saw every way my plants actually WERE killed and went to war to figure out a way to defeat the many enemies of the plants.  I also have an air pistol with killing type pellets with enough power to kill squirrels/rodents.  I got that to be able to use it in the city without police being alerted by the sound.  I would have killed those squirrels if I hadn't figured out how to outsmart them.

I also bought a very small outdoor greenhouse to put plants in after they had about 4-5 inches of growth from seeds inside the house.  This allowed them to be protected from the various murderers outside, and get used to being outside for a while, growing more, before they were planted in the containers.  You will have a big greenhouse and you should due to being in the "frozen north."  I started some seeds in January, most in February, and they were in containers by March - mid-March.  I can grow in three seasons here, the spring/summer and fall.  One just has to know which plants for which season and that requires research, which I did.  I documented all of it.  By the time I finished all of this, I knew which exact strain of various plants were the best here and when to plant all of them.

I see people flock to nurseries to buy their food plants and I wonder if they know how to sprout a seed.  I grew eight kinds of tomatoes from seed so I would know which grew the best here.  Knowing how to cultivate a seed to sprout also takes knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:03:28 am by Victoria33 »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2017, 06:59:58 am »
You only have 20 years on me and I have to agree with you 100%.  The left has been pushing as hard as they can just shy of open warfare for years.  They have been trying the boiled frog method of implementing their agenda.  Only there are a lot of people who are fed up with their BS now.  Should be an interesting next 4 or 8 years.
Consider in the 1960's the "New Left" infiltrated the Democrat Party. Mostly Communists and misguided youth who were agitated by professionals, they have matured without being able to 'blow it all up', or 'burn it all down', nor have they been able to achieve their goals of dominating this nation, despite having compromised schools, Universities, and the Media. In a generation or two it may pass that they succeed, if they are patient, but they aren't. They are becoming increasingly shrill and violent like so many graying Bolsheviks, they long for their Oktober Revolution'.
If they start it, working America and those who wish they were will finish it--and their movement, but I pray they simply fail without the slaughter and destruction of a conflict they think they would win.  But the Left lives in an echo chamber, one of the results of squelching dissent.
The real danger of echo chambers is that they convince people that 'everyone thinks like them', because the only people they interface with either agree or are forbidden to disagree, either being shouted down or chased away rather than talked with.

@mystery-ak--this is one of the reasons I am so grateful for this site.

In the meantime, time grows short, the Left grows shrill, and their tide will ebb, soon. The backlash is building as people realize the levels of social and other change, and do not like it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2017, 07:11:09 am »
Since when?  War, when it becomes necessary or a reality, is an everyman's game....and the next one will include women, as well.   As long as you're physically able to pull a trigger, you're fit to fight.  Even if you only can manage to take one of the enemy down with you, it will be 'worth it' to most fighting that war.
Agreed. Scoped rifle, good binoculars, long distance is the next best thing to being there. Sometimes you can see more from further away, and in the past a single shot has made a difference. If it comes to that and I can get three before they get me, it's a good start.

The push and pull of front line combat is mainly the province of younger men, and at this point I'm not sure I could get back into the same shape I was in in my early 20s.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis