Author Topic: The psychiatrist who wrote the guide to personality disorders says diagnosing Trump is ...  (Read 11230 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I understand that many people get quite emotional discussing much of anything related to Trump--particularly his fit, sanity etc. for the job of President.

The complexities, imho, are far too great for much of anyone--professional, or not--to be dogmatic, rigid, harsh, arrogant, smug, &/or accusatory of other perspectives, or posters.

NONE of us have ALL the objective facts.

NONE of us are 100% free of bias, flawed perceptions etc.

imho, there is NO need to hazard or trouble the collegial atmosphere that is the hallmark of TBR. We are all sufficiently bright and sufficiently educated in the English language to be able to communicate our perspectives without resorting to assaultiveness toward other members/posters.

1. Verbally assaulting other posters does NOT help one's argument.

2. It merely leaves one looking more like a low class jerk than a thoughtful contributor.

3. Humility demonstrating that none of us 'knows it all' is a much better tone and stance for all of us.

4. There is no need to corrupt, trash this thread. That's bothersome to all of us and particularly  and the MODS.

5. Civility is worth it. If we can't post in a civil, mutually respectful way and tone, perhaps it's time to step away from the keyboard and walk the dog; kiss the spouse; hug the kids; go out for pizza etc.

imho.

:facepalm2:    Are you paid by the word?

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!

:facepalm2:    Are you paid by the word?

Not at all.

Though I may have been verbose in the womb.

And, I tend to like more info and detail than less so I tend to write as I'd like folks to write for me.

LOL.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:45:05 am by Quix »
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Not at all.

Though I may have been verbose in the womb.

And, I tend to like more info and detail than less so I tend to write as I'd like folks to write for me.

LOL.

You're missing out on what could be a lucrative career path for you.   :laugh:

Offline Quix

You're missing out on what could be a lucrative career path for you.   :laugh:

And then there's my haiku writing. One extreme to the other.
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Right_in_Virginia, you comment on Quix's wordiness, but you have managed to insult at least 1/2 of the posters on this thread and with zero or minimal comment about the content.  I'd say that's a talent too.  One which you might want to look at correcting.

@Right_in_Virginia, you comment on Quix's wordiness, but you have managed to insult at least 1/2 of the posters on this thread and with zero or minimal comment about the content.  I'd say that's a talent too.  One which you might want to look at correcting.

This exchange was not insulting @Sanguine   Read it, it shouldn't take you long.  It was rather lighthearted on both sides.

What I find insulting is that you feel you have the right to judge me and accuse me of insulting 1/2 the posters on this thread.

In all candor, Sanguine, I'd be more inclined to accept your criticism as genuine and give it respect if just once you stood in opposition to the myriad of insults that come MY way.  Until and unless you do this,  your opinions are nothing more than politically motivated personal attacks and I'd appreciate it if you'd keep your comments about me to yourself.

Thanks ever so.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This exchange was not insulting @Sanguine   Read it, it shouldn't take you long.  It was rather lighthearted on both sides.

What I find insulting is that you feel you have the right to judge me and accuse me of insulting 1/2 the posters on this thread.

In all candor, Sanguine, I'd be more inclined to accept your criticism as genuine and give it respect if just once you stood in opposition to the myriad of insults that come MY way.  Until and unless you do this,  your opinions are nothing more than politically motivated personal attacks and I'd appreciate it if you'd keep your comments about me to yourself.

Thanks ever so.

Completely agree!     :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Thanks ever so.

"Thanks ever so" for what?

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question though.  As to your main point, I think you would get a much better reception were you to drop the incessant snark.  Like the "thanks ever so".  What is that supposed to accomplish other than to immediately irritate the recipient? 

Few people like to be attacked, but if you're the one doing the attacking, you have to understand that others will hit back. And, that it's hard to have sympathy for a constant attacker.

I seldom respond to your posts because the constant negativity is tiresome and I would usually rather ignore it than engage.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:49:00 pm by Sanguine »

Offline musiclady

Another fascinating discussion ended by snark.

Apparently disruption of intellect and free speech is the sole purpose of a handful (or less) of posters here, since nothing relating to the discussion was added by this thread's primary disruptor.

@Victoria33 , @Quix  - thanks for the thoughtful discussion about a very serious subject.  Victoria, I think the evidence of a learning disability is clear considering the linguistic deficiencies of the President.   As for the narcissism - whether clinical or not, that is self evident as well.

While there have been previous Presidents with serious personality issues (Nixon, Clinton and Obama come to mind), for the most part they were hidden.  Trump is the only one to place his disabilities on his sleeve for all to see. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:07:05 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Victoria33

"Thanks ever so" for what?  I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question though.  As to your main point, I think you would get a much better reception were you to drop the incessant snark.  Like the "thanks ever so".  What is that supposed to accomplish other than to immediately irritate the recipient?  I seldom respond to your posts because the constant negativity is tiresome and I would usually rather ignore it than engage.
@Sanguine
@musiclady

You explained that very well.  I don't respond to attack posts and those that end with a "snark" comment such as "thanks ever so"; those snarky end comments are uncouth, and try to keep the conflict going.  Those that do that are on my "Ignore" list.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:23:09 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

Apparently disruption of intellect and free speech is the sole purpose of a handful (or less) of posters here, since nothing relating to the discussion was added by this thread's primary disruptor.

@Victoria33 , @Quix  - thanks for the thoughtful discussion about a very serious subject.  Victoria, I think the evidence of a learning disability is clear considering the linguistic deficiencies of the President.   As for the narcissism - whether clinical or not, that is self evident as well.

While there have been previous Presidents with serious personality issues (Nixon, Clinton and Obama come to mind), for the most part they were hidden.  Trump is the only one to place his disabilities on his sleeve for all to see.

Thanks for another highly credentialed diagnosis!   :broc:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Thanks for another highly credentialed diagnosis!   :broc:

And, see, that sort of thing keeps the snark going.  Perhaps some here would be happier on a snark forum.  Politics seem to be of secondary interest.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I've probably deposed 50 psychiatrists/psychologists in my day, and consulted with probably an equal number.  Doesn't make me a psychologist, but it does mean I know what a defensible diagnosis requires. And that's including diagnoses with the DSM-III, III-R, IV, and V.

There is a huge modern tendency to describe personality traits as disorders -- essentially lowering the standards for what actually constitutes a disorder.  Mostly, it's done by lay people, or non-psychiatrists/psychologists, though pop psychiatrists/psychologists will do the same thing on occasion.  Anyway, every single one of the 100 or so I've deposed/consulted with has said that a personal interview is mandatory if you want to have a reliable, defensible diagnosis.  There are simply too many variables that cannot be determined otherwise.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I've probably deposed 50 psychiatrists/psychologists in my day, and consulted with probably an equal number.  Doesn't make me a psychologist, but it does mean I know what a defensible diagnosis requires. And that's including diagnoses with the DSM-III, III-R, IV, and V.

There is a huge modern tendency to describe personality traits as disorders -- essentially lowering the standards for what actually constitutes a disorder.  Mostly, it's done by lay people, or non-psychiatrists/psychologists, though pop psychiatrists/psychologists will do the same thing on occasion.  Anyway, every single one of the 100 or so I've deposed/consulted with has said that a personal interview is mandatory if you want to have a reliable, defensible diagnosis.  There are simply too many variables that cannot be determined otherwise.

Thanks for the info MBM! 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
As Bob Dylan said:

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Perhaps we are not qualified to diagnose Trump with a specific disorder but his VERY public behavior is enough to tell that something is abnormal with him.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Quix

Perhaps some are paid by the snark?

{slaps fingers--lightly}

Offline Quix

Thanks for your kind words.

Most of y'all are a delight to dialogue with . . . partly because genuine dialogue is possible and seemingly preferred.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Most of y'all are a delight to dialogue with . . . partly because genuine dialogue is possible and seemingly preferred.

:thumbsup:

Offline musiclady

And, see, that sort of thing keeps the snark going.  Perhaps some here would be happier on a snark forum.  Politics seem to be of secondary interest.

I sometimes wonder if politics ever even enters their minds.  There are several who never seem to participate in any actual discussion of issues, but do nothing but throw spitwads at the serious posters on this forum.

Oh well, I guess there's an entertaining aspect to what they do.....  :shrug:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

"Thanks ever so" for what?

For respecting my request @Sanguine

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
For respecting my request @Sanguine

So, does that mean you're going to respect mine?

Offline musiclady

Most of us do prefer intelligent dialogue........ even with people with whom we disagree....... or perhaps especially with people who have opposing opinions.  (There's not a single person on any forum whose views on everything coincide with my own).

I spend a lot of time on TBR lurking on threads where people on both sides know a heck of a lot more than I do about a given subject, and love how much I learn by just reading learned opinions.

At any rate, @Quix, I really do appreciate your perspective on things, and think of you as a friend.

Offline musiclady

As Bob Dylan said:

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Perhaps we are not qualified to diagnose Trump with a specific disorder but his VERY public behavior is enough to tell that something is abnormal with him.

The idea that we have to have an advanced degree in psychology to observe obvious inappropriate behavior is ludicrous.

I wonder if these folks tried to silence analysis of Barack Obama, who displayed many of the same personality issues.  (Rhetorical question.  They did not).

Were we not supposed to comment that Obama was a narcissist when he whined that no one in the press should comment on the size of his ears?

Some things ARE obvious, and OF COURSE, we have the right to comment on what is going on.

The sad thing is these few actually think that they are accomplishing something with their snark.  They're only hurting their cause when they try to silence all opposition to their views. 

@jmyrlefuller

Just curious @Sanguine  In your humble opinion, would you call anything @musiclady  posts "snark" --- or posted to sow discord?

I ask only to better understand your motivations---and to see if you and I have any common ground.

Thank you again.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Just curious @Sanguine  In your humble opinion, would you call anything @musiclady  posts "snark" --- or posted to sow discord?

I ask only to better understand your motivations---and to see if you and I have any common ground.

Thank you again.

Yes, sometimes she does.  I do too, though I try hard to avoid it.