Author Topic: The psychiatrist who wrote the guide to personality disorders says diagnosing Trump is ...  (Read 11228 times)

Offline roamer_1

And, there are some bad apples in the mental health professions, probably more than should be, but arriving at a diagnosis requires documentation and reason.

I should just shut up and bow out. With the exception of @Quix , who is a friend of mine, I have had less than satisfactory service from the professional community. The only thing in the field I have respect for is the book 'Man's Search for Meaning' by Viktor Frankel.

I am just way better off taking my advice on some old cow-puncher's porch, or in some old duffer's mechanic shop. Personally, I find the level of help to be of a much higher value. And I say that with a sister who is a fully papered psychologist.

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
I should just shut up and bow out. With the exception of @Quix , who is a friend of mine, I have had less than satisfactory service from the professional community. The only thing in the field I have respect for is the book 'Man's Search for Meaning' by Viktor Frankel.

I am just way better off taking my advice on some old cow-puncher's porch, or in some old duffer's mechanic shop. Personally, I find the level of help to be of a much higher value. And I say that with a sister who is a fully papered psychologist.

I'd probably agree with you and join you most of the time, in most cases re most professionals I've known vs most porcher's wisdom on life types.

However, my training and internships were in Southern California . . . well populated with fruits and nuts . . . particularly in the mental health field.

Thankfully, my Dissertation Chairman was a Mormon Bishop who was both brilliant and practical . . . and down to earth, most of the time. LOL.

And Man's Search for Meaning is a top flight book well worth folks' time
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:38:04 pm by Quix »
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Frankl is a good reference! 

Silver Pines

There's a fundamental difference between making an occasional snarky comment (especially after being provoked) and doing nothing BUT sniping at people.  The vast majority of us say things we shouldn't say on occasion.  There are only a handful who throw darts at any criticism of Trump.

The problem here is that there are some who try to silence all commentary about Trump that doesn't favor him, and who come on any thread where people are saying things that they don't like and attack, sometimes WAY below the belt.

Those few are on my permanent IGNORE list.   They have a long, long record of ugly behavior toward a large number of people. 

There are plenty of people with whom I disagree who can discuss things as adults discuss things.

Life is much better if I ignore the people who just can't seem to do that.

Edited to ping @Sanguine - and to say that I have no problem with your making a comment in response to a question without letting me know.  (You're one of the adults.  ^-^ )

@musiclady

I agree that we should all do our best to keep the forum as civil as possible, but I think everyone loses his or her temper, to one degree or another, at times.  The difference here is that most members really do try, and things usually gets back on track. 

I found a private message in my box accusing me of being a hateful liar and a fake Christian who is dedicated to bringing down Trump's presidency, along with a promise to fight me every step of the way.  As it was a private matter, I let the sender have both barrels.  I didn't feel obligated to restraint in that setting, nor inclined to humor the lunacy.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I found a private message in my box accusing me of being a hateful liar and a fake Christian who is dedicated to bringing down Trump's presidency, along with a promise to fight me every step of the way.  As it was a private matter, I let the sender have both barrels.  I didn't feel obligated to restraint in that setting, nor inclined to humor the lunacy.

Wow..I am sorry to hear that...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
@musiclady

I agree that we should all do our best to keep the forum as civil as possible, but I think everyone loses his or her temper, to one degree or another, at times.  The difference here is that most members really do try, and things usually gets back on track. 

They're just emulating their hero trump, you know, the good Christian who grabs me by the bleep.

Offline musiclady

@musiclady

You're clearly dealing with a disturbed coward, and had every right to respond with "both barrels."

I am fortunate to have never received one of those vile e-mails from whoever sends them to people who dare to differ with their sacred opinions and feelings, but I know that many have been the victims of personal attacks via PMs.

I guess we just have to accept the fact that in any open forum that while most of us are sane and decent, there are a handful who have a screw or two loose.

If you get any actual threats, however (and someone has done that in the past) make sure you report whoever sent the PM to the Mods.

This is a great forum, and the vast majority of us here don't want anything or any one to bring it down.

@CatherineofAragon
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Every person I ever knew in the psychology/psychiatry field needed/had one themselves.   Bar none.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Quix

@musiclady

NO FUN!

One of the things I've learned painfully well over my 70 years with several decades as a psychologist is

--Virtually everyone is convinced they are a better psychologist than I am--particularly if we are discussing their opinions about someone.
And, while I haven't read any studies on it and haven't kept my own statistics--my IMPRESSION IS that the greater the degree of Attachment Disorder results in a greater tendency to believe that the individual (A) can perform a snap assessment of another person (B) and be absolutely 100% correct regardless of how many psychologists would disagree.
And, the older I've gotten, the more I've realized that people really are, on average, very complex. Everyone is--in this or that area, if not generally.
For most of my adult life, I've had a quirky capacity to look at a pic--particularly 2-3 pics--of a person, where I can see their eyes and face clearly--I can usually give a personality summary equal to or better than that of some of my colleagues after reviewing a whole test battery. The recipients of such inputs have typically said I've been 80% to 100% accurate.
Nevertheless, of course, I've often been wrong in my life about many things. And, even after many years of knowing and/or working with someone, I have had to increasingly accept the fact that I never will exhaustively understand to the nth detail, any one other individual.
Many colleagues and professors and supervisors have commented on my ability to quickly and fairly accurately size someone up in quite a list of ways from very minimal contact.
Yet, I'm still aghast at how many laymen and women are convinced that after minimal interactions on a website, they are convinced that they can pin others they interact with to the wall in a list of ways. They are convinced that they have accurately summarized the other individual. While, usually, they've probably merely displayed their own personality features, blinders, flaws & biases.
I'm sorry you were bruised by such a dump.
Perhaps you could consider that the person spewing such bile at you has a desperate need to condense the complexities of daily life into very stereotypical labels in order to feel better about themselves and/or about the future.
Sometimes such folks can be helped to broaden their view of and constructions on reality.
Often, they cannot--at least seemingly--cannot.
Nevertheless, one doesn't need to aid and abet such a narrow understanding of reality; nor to be trashed needlessly by it.
We can all do and say foolish things. But some seem to make a career of it. No need to enable them by applause or winking at such harshness.
imho.

Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Your last post @Quix shows me why I was never a doctoral candidate. I'm far too simple minded @CatherineofAragon.

Perhaps you could consider that the person spewing such bile at you is simply driven by fear and go from there.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Quix

Your last post @Quix shows me why I was never a doctoral candidate. I'm far too simple minded @CatherineofAragon.

Perhaps you could consider that the person spewing such bile at you is simply driven by fear and go from there.

True. True.

Fears drive a lot of craziness.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:34:56 am by Quix »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I understand there have been nasty, insulting pms going back and forth.

I can't do anything about that, but I can shut off all pms if necessary.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34