Author Topic: The psychiatrist who wrote the guide to personality disorders says diagnosing Trump is ...  (Read 11229 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Full title: The psychiatrist who wrote the guide to personality disorders says diagnosing Trump is “bullshit”

Allen Frances is a psychiatrist who wrote the rules for diagnosing personality disorders in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The DSM is the No. 1 tool mental health professionals have for making diagnoses.

Frances, a professor emeritus at Duke, doesn’t mince words about what he thinks of mental health professionals who are now using the DSM to diagnose President Donald Trump with a mental disorder.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/2/10/14551890/trump-mental-health-narcissistic-personality?_ga=1.167401406.1871071072.1486767640

@Victoria33  thought you might be interested.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It’s only a disorder when it causes extreme distress, suffering, and impairment.”

Trump’s willingness to lie and endless self-promotion are traits that have, so far, worked out largely to his advantage. He’s president of the United States, after all.

But people who have a true narcissistic personality disorder, Frances explains, experience a crash of some sort, even if they can’t see it for themselves.
That's his excuse?

That because everyone around him enables it, that makes it OK?

Just because someone refuses to acknowledge something, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

:facepalm2:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
That's his excuse?

That because everyone around him enables it, that makes it OK?

Just because someone refuses to acknowledge something, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

:facepalm2:

This is the state of modern conservatism.

Offline Victoria33

@bigheadfred
@mystery-ak
@Freya
@Oceander
@txradioguy
@CatherineofAragon
@Quix
@Suppressed

"Full title: The psychiatrist who wrote the guide to personality disorders says diagnosing Trump is “bullshit”
Allen Frances is a psychiatrist who wrote the rules for diagnosing personality disorders in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The DSM is the No. 1 tool mental health professionals have for making diagnoses."

Let's get the truth out here:

The title makes it sound like Allen Frances wrote every DMS manual ever written.  That is ridiculous and not true.  Neither did he write the "rules for diagnosing personality disorders".  Hundreds of psychiatrists did that.  He was only the "chair" of the DSM-IV Task Force - that is only one DSM diagnostic manual book.   Frances says he wrote the definition for Narcissistic Personality Disorder so he probably did for the DSM-IV.  As "chair' of the group, his people would have held meetings with the psychiatrists and complied the material and sent it to the publisher. 
Here is who Frances is:

Allen Frances, M.D., was the chair of the DSM-IV Task Force and of the department of psychiatry at Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC.  Before this position, he was a professor at Cornell University, Ithaca, New York.

Frances wrote a book,  “Against Out Of Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-V..”   You see, we don't use his DSM-IV any more, it is out of date.  The new one is the DSM-V, and Frances doesn't like it so he wrote a book against it.  (Can you say sour grapes?)

David J. Kupfer, M.D, is the chair of the DSM-V Task Force; Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.  This is the new manual used today, the DSM-V, which Frances is complaining about.
Here is a description of the DSM-V:

"The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM–V,  is the product of more than 10 years of effort by hundreds of international experts in all aspects of mental health. Their dedication and hard work have yielded an authoritative volume that defines and classifies mental disorders in order to improve diagnoses, treatment, and research."

Now, as to a diagnosis, when someone "should" get a diagnosis, Frances is correct:
"But they ignore the further requirement that is crucial in defining all mental disorders—the behaviors also must cause clinically significant distress or impairment."

That is rule one a psychological examiner learns.  If a person is running his/her life without significant distress that affects his/her life, he/she should have no diagnosis.  I recall an example used in my training, and the question was this:  If a burglar is a successful burglar and living well, feeling fine, should he/she be tested and get a diagnosis?  Now we come to another consideration - if the person is operating successfully for him/her self, BUT HARMING OTHERS, an intervention is required, in this case, the police to stop the behavior.  It is possible, the burglar could realize, with counseling, his/her behavior must change but the behavior must stop.

Psychologist Gartner says, “The thing about people with personality disorders … they don’t have distress related to their disorder; they cause distress in other people,” he says. “They’re in complete denial about the nature of their illness or even having an illness.”  But “as someone who has been an expert and a teacher of severe personality disorders in 35 years, this is the worst case I have seen in my career,” he says."

I want to add what Psychologist Miller said:

“You always want collateral information,” Miller says. “If I was seeing a patient for anything, I would want to talk to their spouse or children, if possible. ... You might get more nuanced information.”

Gartner is correct and so is Miller.  Gartner would be more correct if he incorporated Miller's advice.  When I made an evaluation, the first thing to happen was an interview with the patient, whether an adult or a child (in a child's case, always talked to the parents, too.)  I wanted information about this person since birth.  Was the birth normal?  From there, I got every bit of information possible about the behavior of this patient from birth until now.  Only after that, did the testing begin.

That is why I researched Trump's background/behavior from the time he was born until now.  Gartner should have done that.  I agree with Gartner, Trump's personality disorder is the worst I have come across.  But, you see, I believe the two psychologists and Frances are all missing a cause for his behavior; there is more wrong than Narcissistic Personality Disorder, so perhaps Frances stopped with his specialty, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, when he should have considered other causes that might be present also.  I think there is a reason why Trump must promote himself all the time, which looks like Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  But added to that, he must be perfect all the time and be the "best" all the time, and attack anyone almost forever if there is the slightest disagreement.  His childhood behavior suggests a learning disorder and I have tested many hundreds of students for learning disorders, I recognize the behavior.  If one attaches a learning disorder, which fosters feelings of inadequacy, to a Narcissistic Personality, you get an aggressive person who will not stop until everyone in the world declares him the best.  His deception of everyone would be complete then - only he would know he was not the best.  Due to these likely disorders, and sleeping only 3-4 hours a night, I think the strain of the 24 hr. a day job, trying to prove he is the best to cover his inadequacy, and constantly attacking others to keep proving it, will cause a mental breakdown or a heart attack or a stroke.

The above is my opinion responding to the article presented here.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:09:52 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
@Victoria33,

I highly respect your training, experience and research.

Nevertheless, I think you are overblown about Trump.

I think the degree of malady you insist is deep within him would have destroyed much capacity to succeed at many points in his life.

Then there's Thomas Szaz  (sp?) . . . who thinks the whole profession is a fraudulent scam.

I disagree but he makes some good points . . . and it can operate too often exactly as a fraudulent scam.

If you are right, then, I'd expect Trump to disintegrate within a couple years as you've mentioned.

I'm skeptical the oligarchy setting him up and orchestrating the world stage will allow him to go that long unfettered without being destroyed or removed one way or another. I hope I'm wrong.

Whatever his flaws of whatever degree . . . I still love the way he's upsetting the status quo. That's long overdue.

I just think THAT TOO must be part of the globalist script to in some convoluted way end up with the puck moved significantly down the ice toward their total global government control goal.

I think you also seem to fail to give due credit for his capacity to adjust his stances based on advice and/or feedback.

The degree of disorder you describe doesn't tend to incorporate much of a capacity to modify behavior or stances based on anything--particularly advice or feedback.

Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline Victoria33

@Quix

You are wrong, no reason to discuss it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:04:53 am by Victoria33 »

Offline Quix

@Quix

I've been wrong before. I survived.
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@Quix

I've been wrong before. I survived.

Is this a discussion between Froid and Young as to who is the bestest mule Skinner?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Victoria33

Is this a discussion between Froid and Young as to who is the bestest mule Skinner?
@bigheadfred
@Quix

Yes, fred.  He, Froid is wrong; I, Young, am right.  We have discussed this before (more than once), and I was too tired to write it again.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@bigheadfred
@Quix

Yes, fred.  He, Froid is wrong; I, Young, am right.  We have discussed this before (more than once), and I was too tired to write it again.

Whoa mule! So we go from who is the Big Fat Skinner to beating a dead horse.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Please refresh my memory @Victoria33 --- Were your years in the psychiatric arena as a professional or a patient?

Thanks.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Please refresh my memory @Victoria33 --- Were your years in the psychiatric arena as a professional or a patient?

Thanks.

:silly:

Offline roamer_1

The above is my opinion responding to the article presented here.

@Victoria33
I am not a shrink - But I can smell a shyster a mile away. And Trump is a con man from the word go - similar to Bill Clinton, in that regard. I will disagree with you lightly wrt his self-destruction. He operates in a world of self-created chaos - He does it on purpose to get his way. The pressure will never get to him, because pressure and destruction are always shunted off of him directly, on to dang near anything around him. There is always a scapegoat under construction in his organizational process, specifically designed to take the brunt of the blame, being sacrificed to preserve Trump himself...

He'll walk away untouched. It is everything around him that will be destroyed. Watch and see.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:26:08 pm by roamer_1 »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@Victoria33
I am not a shrink - But I can smell a shyster a mile away. And Trump is a con man from the word go - similar to Bill Clinton, in that regard. I will disagree with you lightly wrt his self-destruction. He operates in a world of self-created chaos - He does it on purpose to get his way. The pressure will never get to him, because pressure and destruction are always shunted off of him directly, on to dang near anything around him. There is always a scapegoat under construction in his organizational process, specifically designed to take the brunt of the blame, being sacrificed to preserve Trump himself...

He'll walk away untouched. It is everything around him that will be destroyed. Watch and see.

Another obama sounds like.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
@Victoria33,

I highly respect your training, experience and research.

Nevertheless, I think you are overblown about Trump.

I think the degree of malady you insist is deep within him would have destroyed much capacity to succeed at many points in his life.

Then there's Thomas Szaz  (sp?) . . . who thinks the whole profession is a fraudulent scam.

I disagree but he makes some good points . . . and it can operate too often exactly as a fraudulent scam.

If you are right, then, I'd expect Trump to disintegrate within a couple years as you've mentioned.

I'm skeptical the oligarchy setting him up and orchestrating the world stage will allow him to go that long unfettered without being destroyed or removed one way or another. I hope I'm wrong.

Whatever his flaws of whatever degree . . . I still love the way he's upsetting the status quo. That's long overdue.

I just think THAT TOO must be part of the globalist script to in some convoluted way end up with the puck moved significantly down the ice toward their total global government control goal.

I think you also seem to fail to give due credit for his capacity to adjust his stances based on advice and/or feedback.

The degree of disorder you describe doesn't tend to incorporate much of a capacity to modify behavior or stances based on anything--particularly advice or feedback.

Completely agree @Quix!  These people - @Victoria33 - that keep repeating these over-the-top pronouncements like - " I agree with Gartner, Trump's personality disorder is the worst I have come across." - are laughably ridiculous and make the poster look overwrought and overblown. 

Is she saying Trump is worse than someone like, say - Charles Manson?  It is beyond ridiculous, and why anyone gives this kind of hyperbole any credibility at all is hilarious!!!  What a joke!

:mauslaff: :mauslaff: :mauslaff:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline roamer_1

Another obama sounds like.

Nah, more a Bill Clinton to me - Obama was a true believer type... Dyed in the wool communist.  Trump and Clinton don't really give a sh*t about much of anything beyond themselves. Clinton was more about fame, Trump, more about power... But the means to the end is similar, although Clinton would be less likely to cause chaos directly. He's a softer sell. But either one is proficient at dancing folks down the garden path... Misdirection. When the right hand is waving, watch out for the left hand.

For instance, everyone is all happy about the pipelines - Yay team! Jobs, cheap oil, etc... but overlay those pipelines with the NAU superhighway proposed nearly a decade ago, and you may begin to see the endpoint of his intent.

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33
He operates in a world of self-created chaos - He does it on purpose to get his way. The pressure will never get to him, because pressure and destruction are always shunted off of him directly, on to dang near anything around him. There is always a scapegoat under construction in his organizational process, specifically designed to take the brunt of the blame, being sacrificed to preserve Trump himself...
@roamer_1
@mystery-ak

It is "why" he does it that is under question - he has done this all his life, from early in life, as a child, it is pervasive.
You are totally correct that, "It is everything around him that will be destroyed."  That is the problem, it is our country that is "everything around him" now.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:35:03 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline jpsb

Are yall having a good time bashing Republican President Trump? You should invite you DU buddies over to join in the fun.

Offline roamer_1

Is it "why" he does it that is under question - he has done this all his life, from early in life, as a child, it is pervasive.

@Victoria33
Nah, the 'why' is self evident. He has obviously been able to get his way by way of petulance. It works for him. It's how he plays people, because it has worked in his favor over and again, since his youth, and he is long practiced at his style.

You are totally correct that, "It is everything around him that will be destroyed."  That is the problem, it is our country that is "everything around him" now.

That doesn't mean that you are wrong about self-destruction - If he slips he will fall, and if he falls he will be consumed.  The problem with a long con is overt exposure - the longer the con, the higher the risk, and the more complete the failure. But he has been playing this game a very long time - I doubt he will slip significantly. And I agree with you wrt our country being 'everything around him'. But there's not a dang thing to do about it.

Pray hard.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:17:42 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Are yall having a good time bashing Republican President Trump? You should invite you DU buddies over to join in the fun.

It goes beyond simple bashing - more like unbridled speculative drivel posing as undeniable "fact", based on a neurotic need for peer acceptance.  Pure fiction presented as fact! 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline roamer_1

It goes beyond simple bashing - more like unbridled speculative drivel posing as undeniable "fact", based on a neurotic need for peer acceptance.  Pure fiction presented as fact!

:silly: :silly: :silly:

It is the group that admires the emperor's new clothes. It is group-think that allows him to strut about amidst great applause and admiration. Such is 'peer acceptance'. Such is 'pure fiction presented as fact'.

In the mean time, the leopard does not change his spots. What Trump is has not changed simply by putting 'president' in front of his name.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I guess they would have to get their names and contact info from you.

Offline Quix

@Victoria33

An interesting perspective.

I do believe he loves the challenges of making things happen that he believes in.

I believe he can be fierce in trashing those in his way or whom he deems unfitting, incompetent etc. like he did on his TV show.

Don't know if he's as bad a shyster as Dillbo. I don't think so. I think Dillbo is several orders of magnitude worse.

And, it doesn't fit the picture his kids and home workers describe.

He is an interesting character--good and bad.

Offline roamer_1

He is an interesting character--good and bad.

I would disagree. He is a rather shallow and obnoxious man, and wholly lacking in character.

Offline Quix

Completely agree @Quix!  These people - @Victoria33 - that keep repeating these over-the-top pronouncements like - " I agree with Gartner, Trump's personality disorder is the worst I have come across." - are laughably ridiculous and make the poster look overwrought and overblown. 

Is she saying Trump is worse than someone like, say - Charles Manson?  It is beyond ridiculous, and why anyone gives this kind of hyperbole any credibility at all is hilarious!!!  What a joke!

Thanks for your kind words and affirmations.

I understand your feelings.

However, @Victoria33,

has been a very top-flight (I'd guess top 3-5%) mental health professional with considerable training and experience in assessment, treatment etc. but particularly assessment, evaluation. I don't take disagreeing with her lightly.

Yet, we all have our biases and blind spots. She likely thinks I'm blind  to the true facts about Trump because of mine.

I, too, have tended to be highly accurate over my mental health career as a psychologist/professor. My professors in my PhD program routinely affirmed that my 'intuition' was markedly above average in accuracy etc. We had a supervision men's group headed by my Dissertation Chairman. He noted that I tended to get further in 3 weeks with clients than he usually did in 6 months.

But none of us are perfect. We all err, make mistakes, miss cues, over-assume etc.

Trump is a complex character in lots of respects. And, his life leaves a lot of factoids easy to be concerned about and even alarmed at.

I just still see him as a blow-hard with significant attachment disorder still grasping for a more robust and intense level of approval than he got from his dad. However, he obviously got a strong measure of approval about some things.

The body language woman noted that he was very confident. He had to get that largely from his dad.

I suspect that what he missed from his Dad is the loving affectionate affirmation and approval just for being the dad's son, without performance issues. That's what I've noted he's dished out to his own kids--tons of affectionate love and approval as the highest or near highest priorities in Trump's life. He's fiercely pro-family.

You'd have thought he'd have done better with the previous wives given such a pro-family value. But, at least they all supported him in his run for the Presidency. That's some achievement in itself.

And, none of his kids smoke or drink (at least not to excess--I doubt at all)--another set of values he's fierce about. But it's not always easy to transmit that value to one's kids. Evidently he was bonded to them enough to succeed at that transmission. He doesn't smoke or drink. That's quite a disciplined stance in his realm. His alcoholic brother resulted in that.

I think  he personally really thinks he can make the country better. He's done a lot of other high-powered negotiating business deals and building projects. This is the next level of challenge for him. I think he thrives on that challenge.

I think Billdo thrived on seduction and self-aggrandizing as well as pushing the USA more toward Marxism.

Trump can be grossly self-aggrandizing but I don't think it comes out of quite the same motivation as Billdo's.

Just imho, anyway.

Time will tell whether Victoria33  is more right or less right than my assessments of Trump.

He's a complex enough character and it's a complex enough  situation I could imagine it going either way.