Author Topic: Were Our Founding Fathers Racist? The Slaves are 3/5ths of a Person Debate  (Read 949 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Jeff Dunetz
RedState
July 18, 2010

Many in the progressive world, believe that our founding fathers were racist. As their evidence they point to Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States Constitution:

“ Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.”

To the liberals, the 3/5th figure is an indication that our founding fathers were a bunch of racists who thought that the African Slaves were less than human.

The truth is that the founders from the northern colonies  who opposed Slavery, insisted on counting the slaves as less than “full persons.” The reason for the insistence, is to prevent the slave states from getting too many congressman and electoral votes as to dominate the government and prevent Slavery from ever being abolished.
More

geronl

Re: Were Our Founding Fathers Racist? The Slaves are 3/5ths of a Person Debate
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 08:37:15 pm »
Can't judge them using today's rubric

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:40:15 pm »
Ignorance is the fuel of progressivism.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:14:56 pm »

It was a pretty complicated issue.

Even men who wanted to release their own slaves couldn't. Slaves were collateral on debts and if a man released his slaves without the debt being paid, the slaves belonged to the creditors.

James Armistead Lafayette is a good example of what a mess it was. He was a slave owned by William Armistead who went to join Benedict Arnold's camp (and later to Lord Charles Cornwallis's camp) as a spy who was actually a double agent spying for the Marquis de Lafayette.

After the war slaves who had fought as soldiers were free if they wished it but James Armistead was a spy and not considered to be a soldier so he returned to William Armistead's plantation.

In 1824 James Monroe invited the the Marquis de Lafayette to visit the USA. The Marquis was a big hero and crowds came out to see him everywhere he went. The Marquis spotted James and William in the crowd and found that James was still a slave. The Marquis with the help of William Armistead (who was himself a delegate to congress) petitioned congress for James to be freed. James Armistead took the name Lafayette to honor the Marquis.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:24:43 pm »

No, but you can ponder that the real reason for the 3/5ths issue was a bid to keep the south from adding
more slave states or blocking any eventual abolition of slavery by way of adding to their Congressional
representation. (It couldn't, of course, it took a civil war and a constitutional amendment, finally . . . )

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »
No, but you can ponder that the real reason for the 3/5ths issue was a bid to keep the south from adding
more slave states or blocking any eventual abolition of slavery by way of adding to their Congressional
representation. (It couldn't, of course, it took a civil war and a constitutional amendment, finally . . . )

So why did it not take that extreme measure to end it anywhere else?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 09:42:17 pm »
So why did it not take that extreme measure to end it anywhere else?

What makes you think it didn't?  Read the history of Haiti, or some other Caribbean or Latin American countries...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!