Author Topic: Pat Tillman’s Widow Slams Donald Trump’s Refugee Ban: ‘This Is Not What He Died for’  (Read 969 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Arizona Cardinal football player who enlisted in the US Army after 911 was Pat Tillman in case, anyone is unfamiliar with that.

Pat Tillman’s Widow Slams Donald Trump’s Refugee Ban: ‘This Is Not What He Died for’

he widow of  Pat Tillman, the football star who quit the NFL and signed up for the Army Rangers after 9/11, is speaking out against President Donald Trump‘s executive order temporarily banning all from entering the U.S.

Marie Tillman said she is “deeply saddened” by the controversial order, and vowed to “fight” the policy in honor of her husband, who was killed while serving in Afghanistan in 2004 – just two years after enlisting.

“He stood up to serve because he believed in the principles on which our country was founded and, recognizing it wasn’t perfect, was passionate about what it could be,” Tillman wrote in the Facebook post on Saturday.

“This is not the country he dreamed of, not what he served for and not what he died for.”

Continued: http://people.com/politics/pat-tillmans-widow-donald-trump-refugee-ban/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:44:24 pm by TomSea »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Nobody elected her to set national policy on immigration, nor did the surviving family members of every other servicemember who has been killed elect her to be their spokeswoman.

She is entitled to her personal opinion, but it deserves to be given no more weight or consideration than anyone elses.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Nobody elected her to set national policy on immigration, nor did the surviving family members of every other servicemember who has been killed elect her to be their spokeswoman.

She is entitled to her personal opinion, but it deserves to be given no more weight or consideration than anyone elses.

Nicely stated, sieur! Not a thing added or subtracted could possibly improve it.

Sometimes the grieving process can take many years and I have noticed that many who have lost loved ones who were prominent in the mass media forsake that process too soon. Instead of grieving they instead lose themselves in public behavior (affiliating themselves with causes, making strident, passionate statements about public policy, ideology, etc.) So it seems to me in the case of this poor woman.

Since the temporary ban and hold on immigration that the current administration has enacted is nothing that unusual, I question this woman's knowledge of history, the law, the Constitution or public policy. She is speaking from great ignorance and shooting from the hip. Making decisions about complicated issues using one's feelings is not wise, not very dignified and I would venture to guess, not very satisfying. She likely is inadvertently engaging in this sort of behavior because she is emotionally exhausted and terrified of facing the full emotional impact of her loss.

Temporary refuge from those feelings may be found in anger. Righteous outrage ( whether justifiable rationally or not) is at the very least, a much "safer" place to be emotionally than gnawing, aching remorse or loneliness.

In the parlance of psychology, she is stuck in the "bargaining"phase of the grieving process. That is when a surviving loved one convinces themselves that if only they take up the opinions, activities or beliefs of their lost loved one, that this will significantly reduce or even eliminate the  terrible feelings of horror/loss/emptiness which resulted from their death.

That strategery (sic) seems very reasonable and would be a good option except for the fact that it doesn't work. It just doesn't work. The only way to deal once and for all with the emotions of loss which result from such a trauma, is to actually experience the feelings of loss full force - which is never very pleasant but for which there is no viable substitute.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:19:11 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)