Author Topic: Parents angry over 6th grade lessons on ‘Five Pillars of Islam’, Quran  (Read 1110 times)

rangerrebew

Parents angry over 6th grade lessons on ‘Five Pillars of Islam’, Quran
February 7, 2017
By Victor Skinner

SUMMERVILLE, S.C. – Sixth-grade students at Alston Middle School are expected to learn the five pillars of Islam, and to correctly interpret passages from the Quran.

In one worksheet, students were provided seven specific passages from the Quran and tasked with matching the religious texts with the five pillars of Islam.

Passages included “Allah: There is no god but Him, the Living, the Eternal One. Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes him,” which corresponds to the first pillar “There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his prophet.”

Another fill-in-the-blanks worksheet tasked students with filling in supposed facts about the Islamic faith.

http://eagnews.org/parents-angry-over-6th-grade-lessons-on-five-pillars-of-islam-quran/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:00:27 pm by rangerrebew »

Oceander

Re: Parents angry over 6th grade lessons on ‘Five Pillars of Islam’, Quran
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:11:55 pm »
Establishment of religion.  Pure First Amendment stuff. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »
Insanity. They'd have fits, and rightfully so, if a public school required the same sort of lessons on Judaism or Christianity. This has to be coming from the feds. I can't imagine the school board in this South Carolina town came up with this on its own (although anything's possible, I guess).  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:18:36 pm »
Insanity. They'd have fits, and rightfully so, if a public school required the same sort of lessons on Judaism or Christianity.
"Worksheets on all these features of a civilization are used as teaching tools, including all religions involved," Raynor said in a statement. "One of the next civilizations beings studied in the course will be ancient Rome that will include the study of Christianity. South Carolina curriculum standards specify the material covered in this study of civilizations.  This curriculum is taught in all school districts in South Carolina."

http://www.live5news.com/story/34420873/parent-angry-after-sixth-grade-class-learns-about-islam

This Early Cultures class includes teaching about: Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Christianity, etc.

The link above has the curriculum and clearly states Christianity teaches Jesus is the incarnation of God, died on the cross, resurrected from the dead in order for mankind to be forgiven for their sins.

I would want my child attending a class in early world cultures to have this level of information.  It was a major part of those societies.  It does not appear to be one sided towards one religion. 

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 07:27:21 pm »
Do they give all of these religions equal attention, I wonder?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:34:08 pm »
Do they give all of these religions equal attention, I wonder?

I would expect not.  Christianity and Islam impacted far more cultures and associated populations than did Taoism for example.

If you were studying American History, you wouldn't spend equal time on the Whiskey Rebellion as the Civil War.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer