Author Topic: Why Certain Noises Really Irritate Some People  (Read 415 times)

rangerrebew

Why Certain Noises Really Irritate Some People
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:20:56 pm »
Why Certain Noises Really Irritate Some People

'Misophonia' is a disorder that can make a person's brain go into overdrive, researchers report
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Google+ Subscribe to RSS
By Robert Preidt
Friday, February 3, 2017

FRIDAY, Feb. 3, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Most people can recall a time when a certain sound annoyed them -- say when your office mate was repeatedly clicking his pen -- but some people find such sounds utterly unbearable. And new research suggests that brain abnormalities may explain why.

People with a disorder called misophonia have an intense hatred of specific sounds, such as chewing, breathing or repeated pen clicking. These triggers can cause an immediate and strong "fight or flight" response in those with the disorder.

"I hope this will reassure sufferers," the study's senior author Tim Griffiths said in a news release from Newcastle University.

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_163419.html
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:21:31 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Why Certain Noises Really Irritate Some People
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 01:38:33 pm »
It isn't just a hatred for certain sounds. We have been conditioned to respond to some of them, either through work, or just life. A phone ringing noise in a commercial gets your attention, for instance.

One incident I had involved an ER visit. The beeping on the pulse monitor was exactly the same pitch as the gas detector alarms where I had worked for over a decade. The nurse was wondering why my pulse rate was elevated and my BP was up (high for me). I told her if she could shut off that beep, it would go back to normal, and then explained why. She looked at me funny (I get that a lot), but did, and my BP and heart rate subsided.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:43:28 pm »
I was hoping for an explanation of my irritation at Pelosi's voice.  :tongue2:

Honestly, she sounds like her vocal chords are constipated.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 01:49:41 pm »
It's not a disorder.

Some noises are just really $%&@?&# irritating.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 02:01:23 pm »
I was hoping for an explanation of my irritation at Pelosi's voice.  :tongue2:

Honestly, she sounds like her vocal chords are constipated.

That is understandable, given their proximity to her colon.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn