Author Topic: The Post Office  (Read 18987 times)

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
The Post Office
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:50:04 am »
I understand Donald Trump has bigger fish to fry right now but I hope he gets around to the Post Office someday soon.

As long as I can remember the Post Office has been the butt of jokes and rightfully so.  As a quasi-governmental organization they are the poster child of inefficiency and ineptness.  Yet they are also a symbol that represents one tiny portion of all things that make up the fabric of our society.  Imagine if the Post Office was well run and efficient.

In the grand scheme of things it would be a small victory but I think it would be an important one too.  If you can fix the Post Office you can fix anything.  That can-do spirit is contagious which is why I think it is important.

------

If you back up a bunch of decades and examine the Post Office closely you'll understand why they are such a mess.  It's one of Washington's dirty little secrets.  The Post Office is a mess because that's the way Congress wants them to be.

Every attempt to overhaul the Post Office has been scuttled by Congress.  The same pattern repeats over and over again.  A new Postmaster General comes in and is asked for plan to clean the mess up by Congress.  The hard work is done and a new plan is prepared, then it is promptly dumped into the trash can by Congress.  Don't take my word for this, look it up.  Sad but true.

So beyond the obvious public benefit of cleaning up the Post Office and instilling the can-do spirit in a national institution, a secondary benefit would come into play as well.  One big slap in the face to Congress.  The party is over, no more personal slush fund at the Post Office for you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: The Post Office
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 11:07:25 am »
I don't beat up on the post office. I'm not thrilled with the way its run as an organization and feel that many of its problems have come from congress. Our postal system is still among the cheapest in the world.

Living in a tiny town like I do I actually enjoy going to the post office every morning. Its an experience in American tradition. Its where I went from being "The guy who lives in Ingram's old place" to being a neighbor with a name. Its where all the local news/gossip is distributed.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:47:14 am »
One of the big problems with the Post Office is that it has become irrelevant in many of the areas where it used to be preeminent.  Back in the days when there was no email,  no texting, no social media, and when a single long-distance phone call (ie, a call to another area code) could easily cost a substantial sum of money, the US mail was about the only way to easily and cheaply communicate with friends and family who lived, for example, in a different state.  Then came cell phones with national coverage plans, first with voice and then with SMS (early texting), followed by inexpensive internet connections and widespread email, followed by much more sophisticated smartphones and social media.  Now, if I want to communicate with friends and family, I can do so immediately and for a cost that, per instance, is cheaper than a single stamp. 

The same goes for paying bills.  When I first moved out on my own I had to pay all my utilities and rent by check sent in the mail.  When I bought my first car I paid the monthly installments by check sent through the mail.  Now, the only check I write on a regular basis is for my rent, and since my landlord lives in the same town, I usually drop it off in person.  That effectively means that what used to cost me five stamps from the US mail now costs me no postage at all. 

So what's left for the Post Office?  Obnoxious junk mail, the few bills that haven't gone paperless, holiday cards, certified and priority mail that competes with FedEx and UPS, and letters from older relatives who will cannot make the shift to email. 

And meanwhile, the postal unions are a massive financial drag on the Post Office as civil service unions are generally on government.  Like all other civil service unions, members get platinum-plated benefits they don't pay for, unlike almost everyone in the value-creating private sector.

IMHO, the Post Office should be pared back to core functions: primarily RFD, and treated like what it essentially is: a welfare type benefit. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:56:18 am »
The problem is not with the post office,or even with the majority of the clerks or carriers. The problem IS with congress,and as a result of things like Affirmative Action,with Postal Management. They give preference it stupidity and laziness as long as it is wrapped in a brown shell,and ESPECIALLY if it is wrapped in a FEMALE or HOMOSEXUAL brown shell. Double bonus points for a homosexual female in a brown shell.

I am retired from the post office as a letter carrier,and I have personally seen female and non-whites hired right off the street and be put in management positions within 6 months. NOT talking about college graduates with business or management degrees,either. Talking about home bois and home gurls from de hood that have a hard time reading the weekly safety briefing. I have personally seen two women letter carriers suddenly declare themselves to be a lesbian couple and get promoted into side by side postmaster positions in a rural area. I've seen a black woman that gave birth to her 5th child taken off her letter carrier route and given a job sitting in the break room all day answering the telephone "because of her delicate physical condition". Meanwhile,they hired a series of temporary white workers to deliver mail on her route for her while she continued to draw her full paycheck as a letter carrier and got her regular raises.

And it starts sooner than being hired. When I went to take my test in a major city,there were foreigners there from Asia that didn't speak or read a word of English,and they were actually allowed to have translators there to read the questions to them in their native language,and then write the answers or check the blocks for them. These translators were earning some pretty big bucks and since they took the tests every day for someone,they knew all the right answers. They did the same for illiterate black Americans. I sometimes wonder why they even asked the people applying for the job to show up to be tested when someone else is answering all the questions for them,anyway.

And guess what happens when these people are hired. That's right,the post office has to hire other people to do their jobs for them in most cases. In other cases where the new hire is actually willing to work,they run the new letter carrier employees through a course to help them recognize and memorize addresses,and they are only required to deliver mail on ONE route because they still can't read English. They have memorized the route and the way the names and addresses look on that one route. Every white new employee spends months or even years working different routes every day to cover the regular carriers being out on sick leave,vacation,or to handle the route after the regular carrier retired and the route is up for bid as a permanent route for the other letter carriers,based on  seniority.

I have personally seen a white female hired after me that was fast-tracked into management because she was a female,hot,and was humping someone in management. She had worked for the telephone company before getting the post office job,and won a lawsuit against the telephone company that gave her early medical retirement from the telephone company because there were several telephone operators working out of the same building where she was working that had been raped after leaving work at night,and she claimed to have had a nervous breakdown due to worrying about getting raped that prevented her from coming to work. I know this because she told me about it.

She got her job in management,and within a year she was suing the post office for sexual harassment based on the guy she was humping that got her into the management job "Sexually intimidating me into performing sexually in order to keep my job." Keep in mind this was a woman who went to a carrier union party while still a carrier,and got drunk and was humping people by the side of the swimming pool in broad daylight. Once again,she won cash damages and early retirement with less than two years invested in the job. She even retired at the supervisory level she was working when "the stress got to be too much for me to handle,and I had to start staying home because I couldn't bear the thought of going to work at that job again."

ALL of which decreases efficiency and increases costs,and ALL because Congress mandates they do these things. With every new administration in DC,the US Post Office gets a new Postmaster General,and it is ALWAYS a political appointee pay-off job to someone owed favors.

BTW,for those interested,Affirmative Action beats veteran privilege every time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:02:06 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:11:32 pm »

And meanwhile, the postal unions are a massive financial drag on the Post Office as civil service unions are generally on government.  Like all other civil service unions, members get platinum-plated benefits they don't pay for, unlike almost everyone in the value-creating private sector.

Not so much anymore because the retirement system is now funded partially through SS. The Post Office no longer even pays the majority of a retired postal employee's retirement check. It's been this way for at least 20 years.

You can bet the post office unions of today are totally controlled by radical leftists,though. Firing the lame,the lazy,and the incompetent is impossible.

IMHO, the Post Office should be pared back to core functions: primarily RFD, and treated like what it essentially is: a welfare type benefit.

A welfare benefit? You don't think those people in rural and small post offices don't work? Seriously?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 12:16:52 pm »
Not so much anymore because the retirement system is now funded partially through SS. The Post Office no longer even pays the majority of a retired postal employee's retirement check. It's been this way for at least 20 years.

You can bet the post office unions of today are totally controlled by radical leftists,though. Firing the lame,the lazy,and the incompetent is impossible.

A welfare benefit? You don't think those people in rural and small post offices don't work? Seriously?

You make good points.

I've never had a huge problem with the post office, other than maybe inexplicable (in this day and age) slowness.

I rarely use it anymore. My guess is for others my age and younger that's true as well. Not much reason to send letters via mail.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »

I rarely use it anymore. My guess is for others my age and younger that's true as well. Not much reason to send letters via mail.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I use it all the time. Some bills I pay online,but others have to either be paid in person or by check,so it's a lot easier and cheaper to just mail it in that it is to drive them and pay in person. I live in a rural area where driving somewhere isn't a major headache,but I can't imagine it being worth the while for anyone who lives in a big city to deal with the traffic and loss of time to drive across town to pay in person.

Also,because of the distances to drive to buy stuff,I buy most of my stuff from amazon or some other online source,and I MUCH prefer to have it delivered to the local post office for me to pick up than to have it left on my doorstep where it can be rained on,stolen,chewed on by animals,etc,etc,etc.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 12:54:46 pm »
Post office?  Who still uses that?

It's become an irrelevancy for me.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 06:17:10 pm »
Post office?  Who still uses that?

It's become an irrelevancy for me.
I pity the mail carrier out there sliding around which chains on that little van with donut sized tires working her tail off in the snow to bring me the latest credit card offers and bills I paid electronically last week. Then again they do bring me the occasional Amazon order, but the fact remains they could deliver once a week and it wouldn't change me life too much.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »
With now Walmart getting heavily on the online shopping business, there's no excuse for the Post Office to not be able to get in on all the shipping of goods from online shopping and make some money. It's not like UPS and FedEx are cheap.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 07:12:14 pm »
With now Walmart getting heavily on the online shopping business, there's no excuse for the Post Office to not be able to get in on all the shipping of goods from online shopping and make some money. It's not like UPS and FedEx are cheap.

They do some shipping for Amazon, but they're very slow and glitchy.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:29:32 pm »

They have. My niece orders everything online, Amazon, and the post office delivers a lot of the packages.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 07:34:19 pm »
I pity the mail carrier out there sliding around which chains on that little van with donut sized tires working her tail off in the snow to bring me the latest credit card offers and bills I paid electronically last week. Then again they do bring me the occasional Amazon order, but the fact remains they could deliver once a week and it wouldn't change me life too much.

All I get is junk, medical bills, and nasty grams from various companies. Meh.

I do love it when I see an amazon box sitting on my porch though.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 07:55:45 pm »
They have. My niece orders everything online, Amazon, and the post office delivers a lot of the packages.

Around here UPS and FedEx deliver to the post office if they're early enough in the day. (our PO closes at 11 AM now)

My usual UPS driver is a 30 year route driver and he says that if UPS were to take over for the postal service that we would still have a post office but it would be more expensive and rural delivery would be a pay service. I do like his idea of eliminating the post office above the local level. Let UPS handle all the distribution from the international and national levels right down to the local post office who would then handle the rural routes and door to door deliveries.

In my grandparents day little towns like mine didn't always have a stand alone post office. If you recall from The Waltons, Ike Godsey was the postmaster and people went to Godsey's general store to get their mail. Its where the locals all went to pick up packages they had ordered.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 09:20:47 pm »
I understand Donald Trump has bigger fish to fry right now but I hope he gets around to the Post Office someday soon.

As long as I can remember the Post Office has been the butt of jokes and rightfully so.  As a quasi-governmental organization they are the poster child of inefficiency and ineptness.  Yet they are also a symbol that represents one tiny portion of all things that make up the fabric of our society.  Imagine if the Post Office was well run and efficient.

In the grand scheme of things it would be a small victory but I think it would be an important one too.  If you can fix the Post Office you can fix anything.  That can-do spirit is contagious which is why I think it is important.

------

If you back up a bunch of decades and examine the Post Office closely you'll understand why they are such a mess.  It's one of Washington's dirty little secrets.  The Post Office is a mess because that's the way Congress wants them to be.

Every attempt to overhaul the Post Office has been scuttled by Congress.  The same pattern repeats over and over again.  A new Postmaster General comes in and is asked for plan to clean the mess up by Congress.  The hard work is done and a new plan is prepared, then it is promptly dumped into the trash can by Congress.  Don't take my word for this, look it up.  Sad but true.

So beyond the obvious public benefit of cleaning up the Post Office and instilling the can-do spirit in a national institution, a secondary benefit would come into play as well.  One big slap in the face to Congress.  The party is over, no more personal slush fund at the Post Office for you.

The Post Office could use some modern thinking.

Too bad we don't have a Benjamin Franklin. Much of the crap posted here would be gone by day end.

Al
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 09:42:19 pm »
I don't beat up on the post office. I'm not thrilled with the way its run as an organization and feel that many of its problems have come from congress. Our postal system is still among the cheapest in the world.

Living in a tiny town like I do I actually enjoy going to the post office every morning. Its an experience in American tradition. Its where I went from being "The guy who lives in Ingram's old place" to being a neighbor with a name. Its where all the local news/gossip is distributed.

Reading all the posts here I realized that I've forgotten what it's like to live in a small town.  My bad, I should know better.  If there is a good solution to the mess that is the Post Office it seems to me that small towns might just hold the key.

Which has me thinking again, always a dicey proposition.  If the Post Office were to be privatized and sold off to the highest bidder, each individual Post Office would be viewed as a profit center by the corporate office.  Many small town profit centers would not meet their quota and eventually be shut down.  So to keep them from being a drag on corporate profits there must be a solution floating around out there somewhere.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on again.  My hunch that is a solution that would work for small towns might just solve a lot of problems on a large scale as well.

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 10:32:07 pm »
If I ran the Post Office I would run the Post Office.  As it is today, the Post Office runs the Post Office and that ain't gonna change any time soon.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 10:45:21 pm »
Reading all the posts here I realized that I've forgotten what it's like to live in a small town.  My bad, I should know better.  If there is a good solution to the mess that is the Post Office it seems to me that small towns might just hold the key.

Which has me thinking again, always a dicey proposition.  If the Post Office were to be privatized and sold off to the highest bidder, each individual Post Office would be viewed as a profit center by the corporate office.  Many small town profit centers would not meet their quota and eventually be shut down.  So to keep them from being a drag on corporate profits there must be a solution floating around out there somewhere.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on again.  My hunch that is a solution that would work for small towns might just solve a lot of problems on a large scale as well.

Things get done a certain way in small towns.

I'll go to the post office and one elderly neighbor will inform me that another elderly neighbor needs someone to come down and change a burned out light bulb on her porch.

When the weather gets bad and my elderly neighbors are snowed in, they call the post office and ask them to give me their mail so I can get it to them.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 12:09:22 am »
Things get done a certain way in small towns.

I'll go to the post office and one elderly neighbor will inform me that another elderly neighbor needs someone to come down and change a burned out light bulb on her porch.

When the weather gets bad and my elderly neighbors are snowed in, they call the post office and ask them to give me their mail so I can get it to them.

:beer:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 02:24:48 am »
Yes, the Post Office is inefficient and yes it loses money.

It is an agency that at least brings in some money to cover a part of its overhead. Last year, that revenue was $71 billion.

A lot of the money being spent is due to the forced reduction of over 200,000 employees and associated early retirements.

An federal agency that actually makes some money and provide us some service are few and far between.

Others need to be attacked that have no value or contribute zilch save adding to our budget expenditures and consequential increased debt.
We can get to the post office later.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 02:51:22 am »
They do some shipping for Amazon, but they're very slow and glitchy.

@Sanguine

USPS does NO shipping on amazon. Or anyone else.

The sellers sometimes ship by FedEx,USPS,DHL,UPS,or Old Weird Harold,depending on how they feel that day. I usually specify post office because I don't like my packages being left out in the yard,but most sellers sent it however they want to send it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 02:55:29 am »
Yes, the Post Office is inefficient and yes it loses money.

It is an agency that at least brings in some money to cover a part of its overhead. Last year, that revenue was $71 billion.

A lot of the money being spent is due to the forced reduction of over 200,000 employees and associated early retirements.

An federal agency that actually makes some money and provide us some service are few and far between.

Others need to be attacked that have no value or contribute zilch save adding to our budget expenditures and consequential increased debt.
We can get to the post office later.

:beer:  It may sound corny,but I was proud to work for the post office,and I did the absolute best job I could do every day I went to work. I know many others that felt and did the same.  It's the AA hires that kills it.

Offline endicom

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 03:23:04 am »
:beer:  It may sound corny,but I was proud to work for the post office,and I did the absolute best job I could do every day I went to work. I know many others that felt and did the same.  It's the AA hires that kills it.

In the 1970s a co-worker, a white guy, left that private company after more than twenty years because he was going to have to start showing up for his Postal job. USPS had the better pension plan.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 04:04:22 am »
I absolutely, positively HATE my local post office, and that feels like a complete understatement.  I order household items quite a lot through Amazon and Amazon uses the USPS to deliver here.  The mail carrier that is the regular on our route is great.  I have no problem with him.  Anytime we are supposed to get a delivery on Saturday though, you can count on a ticket being left in our box saying that we have to go to pick it up because they could not access our house.  The regular guy just drops the package over our 4' high gate across the driveway.  The Saturday person won't even attempt to make a delivery.  This includes a couple weekends ago when I was standing in the driveway and waved to them!  That one was the last straw for me.  I contacted Amazon and told them I wanted to cancel my Prime membership, have them refund my membership cost and cancel my monthly subscriptions for the household items.

geronl

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 07:49:24 am »

In my grandparents day little towns like mine didn't always have a stand alone post office. If you recall from The Waltons, Ike Godsey was the postmaster and people went to Godsey's general store to get their mail. Its where the locals all went to pick up packages they had ordered.

Way before that when a person was going to travel somewhere, the whole town would find out and some would give him letters and a couple pennies to deliver.