Author Topic: Blame Californians for Jacking Up Texas Home Prices, Analysts Say  (Read 5031 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Blame Californians for Jacking Up Texas Home Prices, Analysts Say
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 12:09:35 am »
Now there is a good thing, from California; voters in 1977 to pass Prop. 13.

Prop. 13 states that property taxes, cannot increase from the initial rate when you purchase the property, by more than 2% per year. The rate is 1% of accessed value, plus locally approved bonds. That usually means a rate of about 1.2%.

300,000 property purchased 5 years ago, would be (300000*0.012) 300000*.012=$3,600

Ask those people coming from California. They may try to get it going, in TX.

It was to prevent the often huge increases, from reappraisal. It has been attacked, but not defeated yet. That is 40 years of predictable taxes.
We have essentially the same thing here in Texas, only for people 65 and over.  That is why I said 'generally'.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 12:31:09 am »
His user name should be IsailedawayfromCA
Closer to the truth would be IsailedbacktoTX

Was gone 24 years, and will now never leave
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:31:33 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 12:35:47 am »

Prop. 13 states that property taxes, cannot increase from the initial rate when you purchase the property, by more than 2% per year. The rate is 1% of accessed value, plus locally approved bonds. That usually means a rate of about 1.2%.

300,000 property purchased 5 years ago, would be (300000*0.012) 300000*.012=$3,600

It was to prevent the often huge increases, from reappraisal. It has been attacked, but not defeated yet. That is 40 years of predictable taxes.

They've found ways around porp 13, BTW, in the form of 'special assessments', which they raise yearly instead of the 'base tax', which they claim is the only component effected by prop 13.

The result is my property tax effectively went up by 8 percent last year.

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 05:00:37 am »
We can have all new bumper stickers!!!

"I don't care how they did it in California".
"Last one out of Los Angeles, turn out the lights."

How 'bout:

This ain't California.
And we aim to keep it that way.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 08:51:39 am »
When retired, no one cares much for net worth as much as taxes staying low.  Higher prices = higher taxes generally.
Exactly. A retired couple, also complaining about reassessments here during the oil boom, pointed out that the house they were being taxed on an assessment of close to half a million was the same one they paid five thousand for just after WWII. They'd lived there the whole time, and hadn't built on. So your house is worth more, but if you aren't selling, that just means you pay more taxes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 08:54:14 am »
Yep. Have I mentioned that Montana has -40 below weather for 8 months out of the year, skeeters the size of house cats and grizzly bears around every turn of the trail?
We don't have any grizzlies left. What the skeeters didn't get they wolves ate.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 02:00:36 pm »
How 'bout:

This ain't California.

I like that one.  May have one made up.

Wingnut

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 04:14:14 pm »
Closer to the truth would be IsailedbacktoTX

Was gone 24 years, and will now never leave

Somedays I miss living in Fort Worth.  I don't miss traveling to Austin however.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 06:59:56 pm »
How 'bout:

This ain't California.

Yep, I'll go with that one, too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 07:01:17 pm »
That's why they invented air conditioning.

Try growing up in that weather outside Houston without AC like I did

BTW, I've lived in New England as well.  It gets hot and not much AC either.  Just not that many days.  And hurricanes. Had an eye pass over my house once.

The Eye of Alicia passed over my place.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 07:02:28 pm »
I just sold a lakehouse on Lake Livingston.  Close enough to Houston that people love it for weekends.

And that line between Caldwell to Halletsville is pretty close to Shiner......

:amen:

Absolutely close to Shiner....

:beer:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 07:14:59 pm »

Lt. Governor Dan Patrick was on TV last week, talking about legislation that would do something similar here.
My own home is a 1600 sq ft suburban place, is about $150K and my taxes are $2600.
Still we have no state income tax, so I am saving in the long run.
It isn't the county and city tax, as much as it is the school tax, that make the property taxes higher (where I live, anyway).

A friend of mine bought a house in Fontana, which is no place to get excited about, in the early 80's and my house is very similar (but mine is in a better neighborhood).
My house hasn't reach as high of a value as his was purchased for 30+ years ago.
Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about that.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 07:17:19 pm »
I just sold a lakehouse on Lake Livingston.  Close enough to Houston that people love it for weekends.

And that line between Caldwell to Halletsville is pretty close to Shiner......

You being familiar with Livingston, our property is by Point Blank.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 07:24:58 pm »
Lt. Governor Dan Patrick was on TV last week, talking about legislation that would do something similar here.

In the 70s house prices were rising rapidly in Calif. The old method of setting taxes, by unpredictable increases in accessed vales, was taking a toll on people with fixed incomes.

A pair of conservative businessmen came up with Prop. 13, as a method of preventing government from simply raising taxes.

One was Howard Jarvis, a friend of my father. He was not a politician. Just a smart man that concluded the ONLY way to restrict government, was by restraining the growth of money they could get.

This all went down just a few years before Reagan was elected. I wish we could "Make California Great Again," those were some good times.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 07:27:45 pm »
In the 70s house prices were rising rapidly in Calif. The old method of setting taxes, by unpredictable increases in accessed vales, was taking a toll on people with fixed incomes.

A pair of conservative businessmen came up with Prop. 13, as a method of preventing government from simply raising taxes.

One was Howard Jarvis, a friend of my father. He was not a politician. Just a smart man that concluded the ONLY way to restrict government, was by restraining the growth of money they could get.

This all went down just a few years before Reagan was elected. I wish we could "Make California Great Again," those were some good times.

I remember that. I lived there then.
I was in High School.
Yes, it was a different time and place.
wasn't Moonbeam the Governor then, too?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 07:49:58 pm »
.. Moonbeam the Governor then, too?

Brown became Governor in 1975, following Reagan (1967-1975).

Prop. 13 was enacted in 1978, but the conditions which led up to it, took place over the preceding years (during Reagan, and high national inflation).
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 10:17:47 pm »
You being familiar with Livingston, our property is by Point Blank.
Then ours was on the same side right up the lake, where the fishing is good South of Riverside near the Carolina Creek encampment.

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 10:21:44 pm »
Somedays I miss living in Fort Worth.  I don't miss traveling to Austin however.
Have you been lately to FW?  If not, it will be a shock.  Toll roads going up all over like Austin.

We stayed downtown and saw a musical at Bass Hall.  Where Sundance square was, there are fountains and restaurants.

Still like the place as my grandkids live there, but it sure seems like it is becoming an Austin wannabe.

Wingnut

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2017, 01:43:13 am »
Have you been lately to FW?  If not, it will be a shock.  Toll roads going up all over like Austin.

We stayed downtown and saw a musical at Bass Hall.  Where Sundance square was, there are fountains and restaurants.

Still like the place as my grandkids live there, but it sure seems like it is becoming an Austin wannabe.

Left 18 monhs ago.

Those toll roads  (like 121) take the ass holes out of Fort Worth back to Plano, Frisco, McKinney aka.. little California.