Author Topic: Byron York: Justice Department demolishes case against Trump order  (Read 923 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Byron York: Justice Department demolishes case against Trump order

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2613988?platform=hootsuite

James Robart, the U.S. district judge in Washington State, offered little explanation for his decision to stop President Trump's executive order temporarily suspending non-American entry from seven terror-plagued countries. Robart simply declared his belief that Washington State, which in its lawsuit against Trump argued that the order is both illegal and unconstitutional, would likely win the case when it is tried.

Now the government has answered Robart, and unlike the judge, Justice Department lawyers have produced a point-by-point demolition of Washington State's claims. Indeed, for all except the most partisan, it is likely impossible to read the Washington State lawsuit, plus Robart's brief comments and writing on the matter, plus the Justice Department's response, and not come away with the conclusion that the Trump order is on sound legal and constitutional ground.

Beginning with the big picture, the Justice Department argued that Robart's restraining order violates the separation of powers, encroaches on the president's constitutional and legal authority in the areas of foreign affairs, national security, and immigration, and "second-guesses the president's national security judgment" about risks faced by the United States.

Indeed, in court last week, Robart suggested that he, Robart, knows as much, or perhaps more, than the president about the current state of the terrorist threat in Yemen, Somalia, Libya, and other violence-plagued countries. In an exchange with Justice Department lawyer Michelle Bennett, Robart asked, "How many arrests have there been of foreign nationals for those seven countries since 9/11?"

"Your Honor, I don't have that information," said Bennett.

"Let me tell you," said Robart. "The answer to that is none, as best I can tell. So, I mean, you're here arguing on behalf of someone [President Trump] that says: We have to protect the United States from these individuals coming from these countries, and there's no support for that."

Perhaps Robart has been briefed by the intelligence community on conditions in Yemen, Somalia, Libya, and the rest. Perhaps Robart has received the President's Daily Brief. Perhaps not. In any event, the Justice Department argued — reasonably but not successfully — that it is the president, and not a U.S. District Court judge in the Western District of Washington State, who has the knowledge and the authority to make such decisions.

"Your Honor, I think the point is that because this is a question of foreign affairs, because this is an area where Congress has delegated authority to the president to make these determinations, it's the president that gets to make the determinations," Bennett said. "And the court doesn't have authority to look behind those determinations."

snip

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: Byron York: Justice Department demolishes case against Trump order
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:19:00 am »
Despite the overwhelming strength of the administration's argument, what happens next — as the case is argued in a liberal circuit and then possibly moves on to a Supreme Court divided evenly, 4 to 4, among liberal and conservative justices — is impossible to predict. But strength of the case does not assure victory. As Laura Ingraham, the conservative radio host who also served as a clerk for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, tweeted on Sunday: "The law is on Donald Trump's side. Doesn't mean that the courts will follow it."

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:51 am »

Congress desperately needs to rediscover it's powers and deal with these imperal courts!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 02:38:53 am »
Congress desperately needs to rediscover it's powers and deal with these imperal courts!
Congress wont do squat!  It's way past time for COS to take a stand and reign it Washington and the Imperial Courts.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 02:54:29 am »
As Laura Ingraham, the conservative radio host who also served as a clerk for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, tweeted on Sunday: "The law is on Donald Trump's side. Doesn't mean that the courts will follow it."
Laura has this backwards.  It should say that DT might not follow the court's order.

A court does not 'Stop" anything.  It simply issues orders, which might not be followed.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 02:55:49 am »
Am afraid I believe it will be a case of the Executive simply ignoring the courts instead.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 02:56:33 am »
This has been my argument as well. Where is the judge's standing? For that matter where is the State of Washington's standing? Outside our borders, for non-American citizens, they Constitutionally don't have alot of say.

And you can't on one hand say we will not enforce immigration law, that is the Fedgov's job, then turn around and say 'oh excuse me, the Prez can't dictate who comes into our country, that's our job!'

They want it both ways.
The Republic is lost.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 03:48:52 pm »
"The government responded that, whatever Microsoft's hiring preferences, the law is clear:"

The [Immigration and Naturalization Act]'s carefully reticulated scheme provides for judicial review only at the behest of an alien adversely affected, and even then only if the alien is subject to removal proceedings. Under longstanding principles exemplified by the doctrine of consular nonreviewability, an alien abroad cannot obtain judicial review of the denial of a visa (or his failure to be admitted as a refugee). It follows that a third party, like Washington, has no "judicially cognizable interest" in such a denial.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 03:54:02 pm »
Laura has this backwards.  It should say that DT might not follow the court's order.

A court does not 'Stop" anything.  It simply issues orders, which might not be followed.

Which, if Obama did it (and he did), led to nothing.  Congress failed to hold him accountable.

But were Trump consistently to try ignoring Court rulings, he'd be impeached for it -- and rightly so.