Author Topic: NC school district latest to offer ‘free’ breakfast, lunch, dinner to all students  (Read 761 times)

rangerrebew

NC school district latest to offer ‘free’ breakfast, lunch, dinner to all students
February 2, 2017
By Victor Skinner

THOMASVILLE, N.C. – Students in Thomasville City Schools now have access to government provided breakfast, lunch and dinner.

District nutrition director Brenda Watford told WGHP Thomasville schools teamed with the Thomasville Housing Authority and Thomasville Church Homes to offer free dinner for the first time this week, adding free breakfast and lunch served at schools.freedinner

Watford said 98 percent of the district’s students qualify for free lunch and breakfast through federal programs, and a grant through the U.S. Department of Agriculture is covering the cost for dinner, which is expected to draw about 500 students per day.

http://eagnews.org/nc-school-district-latest-to-offer-free-breakfast-lunch-dinner-to-all-students/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:33:43 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Why bother to go home at all?

Next thing, they'll be offering them sleeping quarters.

Offline Applewood

The kiddies in my local district get breakfast and lunch, not just during the school year, but for summer and holidays.  From time to time, there is a petition to add dinners too,  but the district is in financial trouble and can't afford dinner.  On top of all that  there are charities trying to solicit money for "hungry kids."

The so-called poor here receive an assortment of government benefits; most have more than one source of benefits.   There was one woman with six kids and no husband/baby daddy or daddies.  She was receiving welfare, EBT, disability, unemployment, WIC (women,  infants and children) and a few others I forget.  Combined, she was pulling in around $3,500 a month.  And her kids were still getting free meals in school. 

By the way, I'm getting SS disability plus a smaller disability benefit from insurance my last employer had.  Together,  I get around $2,200 a month.  The smaller benefit will end when I turn 65 later this year.  And this pittance iis after working for 35 years.

It's an outrage. 

Offline andy58-in-nh

Everything is "free" when someone else is paying for it.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn