Author Topic: Future Shock  (Read 2935 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Future Shock
« on: February 05, 2017, 01:26:22 am »
I'm not planning on doing a big write-up here. I am interested in whether people remember Alvin Toffler's Future Shock and if it has any relevance today. I remember when it was a hot topic.

A couple of things I would like to share:

They predicted the "electronic frontier" of the Internet, Prozac, YouTube, cloning, home-schooling, the self-induced paralysis of too many choices, instant celebrities, and the end of blue-collar manufacturing. Not bad for 1970.

https://www.fastcompany.com/1695307/future-shock-40-what-tofflers-got-right-and-wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkUwXenBokU

Toffler quotes:

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

You've got to think about big things while you're doing small things, so that all the small things go in the right direction.

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.

There is a huge amount of ignorance in the world today. The dumbing down of society. The rise of populism.

I have said all the advances in communication technology have done nothing to promote the art of communication.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Future Shock
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 02:55:41 pm »
All I can remember is the name Toffler rings a very distant bell. I had just gotten out of the army in 1970,and was too busy getting loaded and chasing women to focus on anything else.

BTW,whether populism is a good or a bad thing depends entirely on what is popular.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:59:07 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:26:36 pm »
All I can remember is the name Toffler rings a very distant bell. I had just gotten out of the army in 1970,and was too busy getting loaded and chasing women to focus on anything else.

BTW,whether populism is a good or a bad thing depends entirely on what is popular.

These days it is popular to be ignorant. Imo, it is getting worse.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »
From wikipedia:

Future Shock is a book written by the futurist Alvin Toffler in 1970. In the book, Toffler defines the term "future shock" as a certain psychological state of individuals and entire societies. His shortest definition for the term is a personal perception of "too much change in too short a period of time".

Toffler argued that society is undergoing an enormous structural change, a revolution from an industrial society to a "super-industrial society". This change overwhelms people. He believed the accelerated rate of technological and social change left people disconnected and suffering from "shattering stress and disorientation"—future shocked. Toffler stated that the majority of social problems are symptoms of future shock. In his discussion of the components of such shock, he popularized the term "information overload."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1yafdr_nRAhVGyGMKHaM9DW0QFggfMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFuture_Shock&usg=AFQjCNHGPqlWzdUComYnq4ebl-lo5p7Fvg&sig2=mQnqjl7mHQOCfiUpGm14GA

Information overload, Or IO, is still a term I use. I suppose now it is replaced by TMI. But the premise is the same. Too much information to process at one time.

IMO, information is neither good or bad. It is how you process it that counts.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 10:09:31 am »
Information overload, Or IO, is still a term I use. I suppose now it is replaced by TMI. But the premise is the same. Too much information to process at one time.

IMO, information is neither good or bad. It is how you process it that counts.

You might be onto something there and it does dovetail into the premise of the book Future Shock.  I'll toss out a historical perspective as food for thought.

The Gutenberg printing press is often cited by historians as the catalyst for a world-wide sea change of attitudes among the little people.  Prior to that invention there were essentially no books.  What few existed were created by hand, written one letter at a time.  Only the wealthiest individuals could afford a book so they were concentrated in the hands of the elite ruling class.

The peeps received their education largely at churches.  Power was therefore concentrated in the hands of church leaders and kings and queens.  Then along comes the printing press and all sorts of information was suddenly available to all the people, not just the elite.  What followed was great upheaval as the peeps began to realize the ruling class was feeding them a big pile of B.S.  They began to think for themselves.

-----

Fast forward to the internet.  It is similar to the Gutenberg printing press in that it vastly expanded the amount of information available to one and all.  So we have these two moments in human history that amount to game changers as it relates to the exchange of information.

Gutenberg changed the landscape and flipped everything on its head.  Will the internet do the same?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 03:27:32 pm »
@Hondo69 @EC @Sanguine

I see a huge amount of IO (Information Overload) in the world today. There is so much information at ones fingertips it is too much for people to process. Plus the fact that people in general haven't the skill set to do so.

As you were saying on that other thread about libraries, EC. There is no one cataloguing this information. So what we have are internet "memes", "viral" videos, social media "firestorms", and "fake" news.

I'll keep saying this: All the advances in communication technology are destroying our ability to communicate.

Add things like this. An article from 2008. News dumps.

Days When News Can Go Unnoticed

https://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/days-when-news-can-go-unnoticed/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:54:27 pm »
@Hondo69 @EC @Sanguine

I see a huge amount of IO (Information Overload) in the world today. There is so much information at ones fingertips it is too much for people to process. Plus the fact that people in general haven't the skill set to do so.

As you were saying on that other thread about libraries, EC. There is no one cataloguing this information. So what we have are internet "memes", "viral" videos, social media "firestorms", and "fake" news.

I'll keep saying this: All the advances in communication technology are destroying our ability to communicate.

Add things like this. An article from 2008. News dumps.

Days When News Can Go Unnoticed

https://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/days-when-news-can-go-unnoticed/

There's a Tower of Babel reference in there somewhere too.