Author Topic: GOP senator: 'We only have so much power to repeal' ObamaCare  (Read 3525 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP senator: 'We only have so much power to repeal' ObamaCare
« on: February 03, 2017, 05:13:40 pm »
GOP senator: 'We only have so much power to repeal' ObamaCare
By Max Greenwood - 02/03/17 10:09 AM EST

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) is warning that the GOP can only do so much to repeal ObamaCare, downplaying lawmakers' ability to completely dismantle the law.

“We only have so much power to repeal certain elements of ObamaCare through reconciliation — 51 votes — the taxes, the subsidies,” Johnson told CNN on Friday morning.

“So many of the market reforms — I would call them the market distortions — that have caused premiums to skyrocket and out-of-pocket maximums and deductibles to skyrocket, those are probably going to need 60 votes. And it doesn’t sound like the Democrats are really willing to bear the responsibility of the mess they created.”

more
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/317733-gop-senator-republicans-only-have-so-much-power-to-repeal-elements-of
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: GOP senator: 'We only have so much power to repeal' ObamaCare
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 05:16:03 pm »
Now this really p*sses me off.

This is why I cannot get excited about the faux pas and fumbles Trump makes - the GOP as a political party is utterly worthless.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 05:18:53 pm »

This is why I cannot get excited about the faux pas and fumbles Trump makes - the GOP as a political party is utterly worthless.

The man's talking about reality.  Complain if you must.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 05:19:06 pm »
Give me a GD break. These asses ran around for the last 6 years telling us that they needed the 2 branches of govt' under their control and then they would handle Obamacare. They have that now and are about to have sway in the 3rd. Now they are going limp.

I am going to send all my election year money to see Johnson defeated when he is up again for saying this. FU Ron. You are a worthless piece of human debris.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 05:20:50 pm »
Give me a GD break. These asses ran around for the last 6 years telling us that they needed the 2 branches of govt' under their control and then they would handle Obamacare. They have that now and are about to have sway in the 3rd. Now they are going limp.

I am going to send all my election year money to see Johnson defeated when he is up again for saying this. FU Ron. You are a worthless piece of human debris.

Yap yap yap.

Do you actually disagree with his assessment of the political realities?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 05:22:33 pm »
Sounds fair.  I mean, it took 60 votes to pass it, right?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 05:25:41 pm »
Yap yap yap.

Absolutely not. These are only the realities of weak kneed losers like Johnson who don;t want to actually do anything that decreases their control over our lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 05:30:16 pm »

Its the same kind of wimpy equivocating and dissembling bullsh*t we've been getting from the GOP for years.

They've got the white house and convincing majorities in both houses of congress just as they said they'd need to effect change for *&%^ sake.

But you can believe what you want.

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 05:33:01 pm »
The real reason behind this is that the GOP knows:

1. They'd need to replace Obamacare to stay in power (ie: majority of the House/Senate)
2. A significant minority of their party wants no replacement
3. Those that do can't agree on what

All that = paralysis.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:59:07 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 05:33:52 pm »
Sounds fair.  I mean, it took 60 votes to pass it, right?

There are ten democrat senate seats that are vulnerable in 2018, 23 total they'll need to defend.

As unpopular as ACA is I find it hard to believe the GOP cant turn a handful of votes.

But talk like this implies that they're rolling over without even trying.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:36:38 pm by skeeter »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 05:36:08 pm »
We knew in 2009 that once it was law it was likely to stay law and the longer its law the less likely it is to be removed.

Its about as temporary as social security now.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 05:46:51 pm »
There are ten democrat senate seats that are vulnerable in 2018, 23 total they'll need to defend.

As unpopular as ACA is I find it hard to believe the GOP cant turn a handful of votes.

But talk like this implies that they're rolling over without even trying.

It's just a statement of political reality.  There are certain votes that will require a few Democrats to roll over, and right now that seems very unlikely.  Maybe after -- or closer to -- the mid-terms things will be more favorable.

There are other things that they can pass now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

Incremental gains are better than no gains.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 05:50:26 pm »
It's just a statement of political reality.  There are certain votes that will require a few Democrats to roll over, and right now that seems very unlikely.  Maybe after -- or closer to -- the mid-terms things will be more favorable.

There are other things that they can pass now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

Incremental gains are better than no gains.

This Johnson guy was saying he was for "repairing" ACA a few weeks back. He's walked that much back, but clearly he's not enthusiastic about doing away with it as the GOP promised.

Each year that passes makes repeal less likely. The GOP has momentum now. If they don't do it now I'm nearly certain they won't do it in two years.

No, I'm certain they won't. I would bet on it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:52:28 pm by skeeter »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 05:53:37 pm »
Yap yap yap.

The GOP LIED - and told their constituents over and over and over again that if we gave them the Senate that they would repeal and eliminate ObamaCare 'root and branch'.

Then they said they needed a president to be able to sign their repeal effort into law and if we gave them all 3 branches that they WOULD be able to do this.

AGAIN, they LIED.

Poltiical reality is that the Democrats were able to ramrod this abomination down our throats in the middle of the night on Xmas Eve with no GOP Votes.

The GOP Could do likewise if they had the balls - but they do not - HEY LIKE ObamaCare and the power it gives government over individual lives.

This is the reason I dumped the GOP and will never again support them or their feckless Statists masquerading as Conservatives.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline r9etb

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 05:56:09 pm »
Clearly he's not enthusiastic about doing away with it as the GOP promised.

Whether or not he's enthusiastic, without the votes to actually do it, how do you propose it happens?

Filed under "easier said than done."

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 05:57:31 pm »
The GOP LIED - and told their constituents over and over and over again that if we gave them the Senate that they would repeal and eliminate ObamaCare 'root and branch'.

Then they said they needed a president to be able to sign their repeal effort into law and if we gave them all 3 branches that they WOULD be able to do this.

AGAIN, they LIED.

Poltiical reality is that the Democrats were able to ramrod this abomination down our throats in the middle of the night on Xmas Eve with no GOP Votes.

The GOP Could do likewise if they had the balls - but they do not - HEY LIKE ObamaCare and the power it gives government over individual lives.

This is the reason I dumped the GOP and will never again support them or their feckless Statists masquerading as Conservatives.

It didn't help that the last two GOP presidential candidates voters chose to nominate have a soft spot for it.

In that sense the GOP is getting this one right. They know that most conservatives really aren't and would turn on them if they did the right thing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:02:00 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 06:00:13 pm »
Whether or not he's enthusiastic, without the votes to actually do it, how do you propose it happens?

Filed under "easier said than done."

Gimme a break. Its called statecraft - used to be commonly practiced.

But now its 'golly we only have 54 republicans, we need 60 votes. Lets all go home".

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 06:00:38 pm »
It passed during reconciliation right? So I don't get his claim.

I'm not even in favor of a total repeal.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 06:01:31 pm »
Did anyone actually read what he said?  Repealing some parts will require the votes needed to overcome a filibuster, i.e., 60 votes, and since the GOP doesn't have 60 votes in the Senate some democrats would have to go along, which is unlikely.  Thus, since that's unlikely, he is exactly correct that the GOPs ability to repeal Obastardcare root and branch is limited. 

That's simply a matter of fact, not a cop-out. 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »
Did anyone actually read what he said?  Repealing some parts will require the votes needed to overcome a filibuster, i.e., 60 votes, and since the GOP doesn't have 60 votes in the Senate some democrats would have to go along, which is unlikely.  Thus, since that's unlikely, he is exactly correct that the GOPs ability to repeal Obastardcare root and branch is limited. 

That's simply a matter of fact, not a cop-out.

You put it better than I did.  Thanks.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 06:08:45 pm »

Partial reality.  If he said, "We've got some challenges, and it will be difficult, but we're going to do everything we can to keep our promise", that I could respect.  Not this mealy-mouthed stuff.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 06:10:21 pm »
Can't the GOP just defund it?  In essence that would kill it, one would think....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 06:14:07 pm »

@skeeter

Ironic that you hate Trump because he is an outsider,and then you turn around and condemn him for the failures of the alleged Republicans. Failures made LONG before he even announced he was running for office.

Hypocrisy much?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 06:16:59 pm »
@skeeter

Ironic that you hate Trump because he is an outsider,and then you turn around and condemn him for the failures of the alleged Republicans. Failures made LONG before he even announced he was running for office.

Hypocrisy much?

Better check your sources. Not only have you confused me for someone else, your apparently posting to the wrong thread.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 06:19:12 pm »
The real reason behind this is that the GOP knows:

1. They'd need to replace Obamacare to stay in power (ie: majority of the House/Senate)
2. A significant minority of their party wants no replacement
3. Those that do can't agree on what

All that = paralysis.

@HonestJohn

All true,but you left off what may be the most prominent factor. The professional alleged Republicans that have made their careers and their millions from playing slap and tickle with the Dims and the voters do NOT want major positive changes to take place with a outsider like Trump sitting in the WH. If Trump gets to take the credit for it,by definition that means the alleged Republican leadership of the past were either failures or part of the problem.

NEVER underestimate the power of selfish self-interest. There are people out there with careers and reputations to protect!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:19:57 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!