Author Topic: E-Cigarette Smoking May Be Bad for Your Heart  (Read 9230 times)

rangerrebew

E-Cigarette Smoking May Be Bad for Your Heart
« on: February 03, 2017, 02:20:43 pm »
By Stephanie Bucklin, Live Science Contributor | February 2, 2017 11:28am ET

30 8 1 0 116 MORE

Credit: Shutterstock/scyther5

Smoking e-cigarettes may be bad for your heart, a small new study suggests.

The study found that certain markers for heart disease risk were higher in e-cigarette users than in nonusers. For example, e-cigarette users had higher levels of adrenaline in their hearts, compared with nonusers. They also had elevated levels of inflammation and oxidative stress (a process that can damage cells) in their bodies.

"This suggests that e-cigarettes have a more complicated effect than just the direct pharmacological effect of nicotine," said study co-author Dr. Holly Middlekauff, a cardiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles' David Geffen School of Medicine. That's because nicotine and other e-cigarette compounds "may set in motion a constellation of physiologic effects that persist, even when nicotine is out of the system," Middlekauff told Live Science. [4 Myths About E-Cigarettes]

http://www.livescience.com/57735-e-cigarette-heart-risks.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:21:31 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: E-Cigarette Smoking May Be Bad for Your Heart
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 02:27:40 pm »
Bleh. What a load of shit. You know what is also bad for your heart? Aging.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 03:18:24 pm »
Bleh. What a load of shit. You know what is also bad for your heart? Aging.
@Frank Cannon
@CatherineofAragon
@Quix
@Freya
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak
@Oceander 

It looks like a cigarette so it must be stamped out! 
I use an e-cig, even in the car (oh no!), and it hasn't killed any drivers on the roadway. 

I will tell you what is behind the attack on e-cigs as well as other bans/regulations on foods/drinks, etc.  The people making the laws/regulations don't use that product so it is okay to regulate it.  If they use the item, leave it alone.  I remember a time when an individual could live with independence in personal choices.

Here is the reason we have so many laws regulating us.  When one is elected to office as a Representative or Senator in a state or in federal government, they have to get reelected, so they must make a mark by introducing bills, or signing onto bills so their constituents know they are doing something.  That is why they keep making more laws - so they can have something to show to assure they are reelected. 

Our Texas legislature meets every two years.  It is amazing we can live with no new laws during their time off.  Now, when they meet, they must write new laws to keep busy, so we get new regulations.  If your state government is in session all the time, you will have more laws than we do in Texas.

I was born in 1933 and my parents were subject to minimal laws.  They were mostly independent, deciding what was best for the family.  I don't recall laws affecting my life very much when I was first an adult, but laws kept piling on, year after year, until we now have regulations affecting us in most parts of our life.  I think that is why I identified with the book, "Atlas Shrugged".  John Galt is a hero who dumped regulations to live an independent life.  "Going Galt" is a part of me. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:24:29 pm »
I can't even sit on my fat ass without it being bad for your heart!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:26:12 pm »
@Frank Cannon
@CatherineofAragon
@Quix
@Freya
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak
@Oceander 

I use an e-cig, even in the car (oh no!), and it hasn't killed any drivers on the roadway. 

I will tell you what is behind the attack on e-cigs as well as other bans/regulations on foods/drinks, etc.  The people making the laws/regulations don't use that product so it is okay to regulate it.  If they use the item, leave it alone.  I remember a time when an individual could live with independence in personal choices.

Here is the reason we have so many laws regulating us.  When one is elected to office as a Representative or Senator in a state or in federal government, they have to get reelected, so they must make a mark by introducing bills, or signing onto bills so their constituents know they are doing something.  That is why they keep making more laws - so they can have something to show to assure they are reelected. 

Our Texas legislature meets every two years.  It is amazing we can live with no new laws during their time off.  Now, when they meet, they must write new laws to keep busy, so we get new regulations.  If your state government is in session all the time, you will have more laws than we do in Texas.

I was born in 1933 and my parents were subject to minimal laws.  They were mostly independent, deciding what was best for the family.  I don't recall laws affecting my life very much when I was first an adult, but laws kept piling on, year after year, until we now have regulations affecting us in most parts of our life.  I think that is why I identified with the book, "Atlas Shrugged".  John Galt is a hero who dumped regulations to live an independent life.  "Going Galt" is a part of me.

:thumbsup3:

All these jerks run around telling us to quit smoking because it is bad, so when E-cigs became reliable we quit. Now they are upset because they got used to the cig taxes and they don't have that anymore. Now they are coming up with this phony garbage so they can tax the hell out of e-cigs. To hell with that.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 03:58:53 pm »
I can't even sit on my fat ass without it being bad for your heart!

Only if your fat ass is on their chest.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:29:40 pm »

@Victoria33

The whole idea of allowing people to run their own lives seems so self-evidently sensible, I always have a hard time wrapping my head around these people who just want control of others.

Makes sense, but I'd be more likely to vote for them if they passed amendments on existing laws to make them less restrictive!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 04:45:49 pm »
...e-cigarette users had higher levels of adrenaline in their hearts, compared with nonusers. They also had elevated levels of inflammation and oxidative stress (a process that can damage cells) in their bodies.

Because stressed people smoke more?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 04:46:53 pm »
Does it contain nicotine? If so, it's bad for your heart. Amazed that this is even in question as the negative effects of long term nicotine use on the cardiocascular system have been known for decades.

Nearly 20 years after quitting hardly a day passes when I don't think "I need a smoke" at least once.

Not feeling like my heart is going to explode after 2 minutes of shoveling snow is nice too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 04:49:35 pm »
Does it contain nicotine? If so, it's bad for your heart. Amazed that this is even in question as the negative effects of long term nicotine use on the cardiocascular system have been known for decades.

Psst. Hey. I got a secret for ya. Everybody dies. Keep this to yourself. If word got out there might be a panic.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »
Yes, nicotine is IMHO one of the most addictive substances on the planet.
@Scutter
@Frank Cannon

If you used e-cigs, you would know one can choose the amount of nicotine one wants in the cartridge. Nicotine is not nearly as addictive as alcohol.  Alcohol kills the drinker and others they run into on the road.  It also destroys families and some drinkers become violent when they drink.  E-cigs do not cause the user to become violent or kill others.
Here are the amounts of nicotine available in a cartridge, one can choose the one he/she wants:
24 mg
16 mg
12 mg
6 mg
0 mg

It is simply the sight of an e-cig looking like a cig, that sets off liberals to try to get rid of them and they want to tax them to get money.  A tiny amount of water vapor comes from the cig that resembles the smoke of a real cigarette before it disappears in a second.  Restaurants freak out with this tiny bit of water vapor and they won't allow them in a restaurant but serve alcohol in any amount a person wants.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 05:28:55 pm »
No sh!t, sherlock. But some might choose not to hasten the day with smoking, eCig or real tobacco. I fully support your having the right to choose to do so, but with so many young people still picking up this nasty habit, I also support studies and articles about them tha spell out the risks.

They're picking up smoking. Vaping is not a filthy habit. It's sucking in water vapor.

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 05:50:02 pm »
Apropos of nothing, I stopped being an active smoker eight years ago and since I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day, I figure by now I've saved about $40,000. 

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 05:53:35 pm »
Psst. Hey. I got a secret for ya. Everybody dies. Keep this to yourself. If word got out there might be a panic.

No one gets out of here alive. 

No sense rushing it though.

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 05:36:14 am »

It has been a while since I've read studies comparing vaping to real smoke nicotine etc. As I understand it:

1. BOTH dump a horrific amount of added chemicals into a person's system--many of which are not at all healthy chemicals to have near, much less, in one's body.

2. I don't think all the research on such matters is bogus.

3. We all find sufficient 'reasons'/excuses to do more or less what we strongly wish to do--more or less regardless. And too often, reason has little or nothing to do with it.

4. Personally, I'd rather be in a room with vaping than with particulate smoke. Mostly, I'd rather not be close to either--depending on a number of factors--e.g. ventilation, thoughtfulness of the person using . . . etc.

5. Nicotine is evidently a hard task master.

6. Bees are suffering a lot because of pesticides related to nicotine, too. And, as Einstein, IIRC, said . . . if the bees go, humans will not be far behind their disappearing.

7. Thankfully, God has other plans.

@Frank Cannon
@CatherineofAragon
@Quix
@Freya
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak
@Oceander 

Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:11 am »
@Quix

"It has been a while since I've read studies comparing vaping to real smoke nicotine etc."

If you are afraid of a tiny bit of water vapor, that evaporates within a second before it could possibly reach you, then stay away from me and others who use an e-cig.  It looks like a cig, so it must be stamped out by those who wish to control our lives. 

Where is the independent Quix who wants to be left alone to live his life as he wishes?  How safe is it for someone to make pottery from scratch?  The government should regulate that in case the potter hurts him/her self or others.  Just what makes up this pottery?  What is in it?  Is it safe for someone to eat off it?  I haven't seen the studies on pottery so it must be harmful.  There should be regulations one has to follow in order to make pottery - one should have to get a license and be tested to be sure he/she is qualified to make pottery.  A government guy/woman should come around every month to check the potter is not violating the pottery laws. 

How safe is it to breathe air?  Air should be regulated so only 100% air is breathed.  Fines should be set on people who refuse to breathe government regulated air.

Clothes should be regulated as there could be DNA on the clothes of the person who made the garment.  Transmissible DNA should be outlawed.  No one should be allowed to wear clothes.

Oh, the book, "Atlas Shrugged".  John Galt refused to be regulated in every part of his life, so he left society to start a new life without regulation.  I'm with John Galt - get the government out of our lives.

Offline Quix

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 07:27:58 am »
I got that message loud and clear in the first line or 2 of your last msg. LOL.

I realize this is a hot-button issue for you.

Pottery IS regulated mercilessly at universities etc. and probably industrially. The dry clay/silica etc. IS hazardous. Thankfully, the college's studio always tests well above average for even non-pottery situations so we are comfortable enough.

And, yes, generally speaking, I'd prefer to "Go Galt" vs the mile high stacks of straight-jacket regulations.

All that aside, I don't think you responded, in kind, to the spirit my last was written in. No biggy. Just noticed it.

@Quix

"It has been a while since I've read studies comparing vaping to real smoke nicotine etc."

If you are afraid of a tiny bit of water vapor, that evaporates within a second before it could possibly reach you, then stay away from me and others who use an e-cig.  It looks like a cig, so it must be stamped out by those who wish to control our lives. 

Where is the independent Quix who wants to be left alone to live his life as he wishes?  How safe is it for someone to make pottery from scratch?  The government should regulate that in case the potter hurts him/her self or others.  Just what makes up this pottery?  What is in it?  Is it safe for someone to eat off it?  I haven't seen the studies on pottery so it must be harmful.  There should be regulations one has to follow in order to make pottery - one should have to get a license and be tested to be sure he/she is qualified to make pottery.  A government guy/woman should come around every month to check the potter is not violating the pottery laws. 

How safe is it to breathe air?  Air should be regulated so only 100% air is breathed.  Fines should be set on people who refuse to breathe government regulated air.

Clothes should be regulated as there could be DNA on the clothes of the person who made the garment.  Transmissible DNA should be outlawed.  No one should be allowed to wear clothes.

Oh, the book, "Atlas Shrugged".  John Galt refused to be regulated in every part of his life, so he left society to start a new life without regulation.  I'm with John Galt - get the government out of our lives.
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 07:31:31 am »

Studies show that the National Death Rate is holding steady at 100%.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 07:33:13 am »
@Quix

I get a kick out of it when I'm standing outside vaping and some smoking nazi walks in front of me and starts coughing and waving their hand when they see the vapor. 
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 09:04:08 am »
I get a kick out of it when I'm standing outside vaping and some smoking nazi walks in front of me and starts coughing and waving their hand when they see the vapor.
Back when I smoked I noticed people who would start with the hack and cough routine at the sight of a cigarette (still unlit), or even the pack.
I'd just shake my head and tell them they might want to wait until I lit up to start.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 02:58:43 pm »
Back when I smoked I noticed people who would start with the hack and cough routine at the sight of a cigarette (still unlit), or even the pack.
I'd just shake my head and tell them they might want to wait until I lit up to start.
@LilLamb
@Smokin Joe
@Quix

That is it, Joe, Lamb.  It goes this way:  "I don't use it (whatever it is), so regulate/ban it."
Then there is the conditioning/emotional response as LilLamb suggested  - "That looks like a cigarette, stamp it out because I see it."

Here is another "panic" button for those who would control us, usually liberals.  They think if you use a prescribed/controlled pain pill, you will definitely be an addict therefore you should not have them.  This family has a liberal in it and she was going on about pain pills, that no one should be able to get them due to them getting addicted.  I showed her my bottled of prescribed/federally controlled pain pills and said why I have them and how many hoops the doc and I have to go through for me to have them.  So, she said I should be able to get them, but others will get addicted.  On another visit here, a family member spoke of a close friend who has cancer and he had certain pain pills.  The liberal immediately said, "he will be addicted to the pain pills".   This person has stage four cancer but she would withhold pain pills from him because he will get addicted.   :thud:  One of these days, this liberal is going to have big pain due to something, and we will see if she is going to bear the pain instead of getting relief from a pain pill.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 06:59:21 pm »
Len Dawson, quarterback Chiefs, Super Bowl I. Halftime smoke and Fresca

Two cyclists

Keith Hernandez, Mets dugout

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 05:30:44 am »
Don't forget this one...

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Quix

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 05:50:38 am »
Know what else is bad for your health? Breathing air. Everyone who has done so has died.