Author Topic: Weatherford cutting thousands more jobs, selling fracking business  (Read 954 times)

Offline thackney

Weatherford cutting thousands more jobs, selling fracking business
http://fuelfix.com/blog/2017/02/02/weatherford-cutting-more-jobs-and-selling-u-s-fracking-business/
February 02, 2017

Weatherford International said it plans to sell its U.S. hydraulic fracturing business and its Middle East drilling rig division as it continues to cut jobs worldwide.

The financially struggling oil field services giant is focused on downsizing and debt reduction. Weatherford executives said Thursday they’re cutting another 3,000 jobs worldwide while closing additional facilities. Roughly 2,000 cuts are already made — about half late last year and the other half in January — with another 1,000 layoffs on the way.

New Weatherford interim Chief Executive Krishna Shivram said he plans to sell the already idled pressure pumping business, which includes fracking, or combine it with another company. Weatherford, which operates out of Houston, has about 20 U.S. fracking crews. Next year, after making upgrades, Weatherford intends to sell its land drilling rigs business, including more than 100 rigs, that’s based primarily in the Middle East and North Africa.

The goal is to bring in a combined $2 billion or so from the sales while making Weatherford a more “asset light company with improved returns.”...

Since the beginning of 2014, Weatherford has reduced its workforce to below 30,000 from more than 67,000....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Weatherford cutting thousands more jobs, selling fracking business
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 10:55:57 pm »
Man, I feel sorry for all those employees and families.

It is a first-rate company I have been proud to do business with for many years.

I do hope they can keep it out of the hands of the foreigners, though.

Having said that, watch the news when some Russian or Chinese entity buys them to get the technology they desperately need to stay competitive in this industry that will struggle for years to come.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Weatherford cutting thousands more jobs, selling fracking business
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 11:28:02 pm »
My Son's first job out of the Navy was with Weatherford in their Houston shop tearing down oil tools. He then worked out in the field as a MWD Engineer. He was let go a couple of years ago. He's now working with an independent outfit, subbing mostly to Schlumberger.