Author Topic: Hurricane Season: Here's What to Expect  (Read 1248 times)

rangerrebew

Hurricane Season: Here's What to Expect
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:09:16 pm »
By Tia Ghose, Senior Writer | January 30, 2017 07:11am ET

158 25 9 11 335 MORE

The powerful Hurricane Katrina, a Category-5 storm, is seen here in a satellite image from Aug. 28, 2005.
Credit: NASA/Jeff Schmaltz, MODIS Land Rapid Response Team

Whipping winds, torrential downpours, power outages and floods — hurricane season in the Atlantic brings a host of dramatic and dangerous weather events.

But when exactly does the Atlantic hurricane season start, and how long does it last? And what can people do to prepare for the most dangerous storms on Earth? From hurricane-naming conventions to storm-safety tips, we'll detail all you need to know about the upcoming hurricane season.

http://www.livescience.com/57671-hurricane-season.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:10:03 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Hurricane Season: Here's What to Expect
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:20:59 pm »
I predict yet another year of NOAA predicting a "highly active" hurricane season, which will then utterly fail to materialize.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:57:33 pm »
I predict yet another year of NOAA predicting a "highly active" hurricane season, which will then utterly fail to materialize.

We are in an unprecedented period of low Hurricane activity.  Going on 12 or so years now.   
The Taking heads are just besides themselves!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:03:34 pm »

Some rain and some wind.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:06:05 pm »

Some rain and some wind.

That is some hippy dippy weather....man

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 03:31:31 am »
Title:
"Hurricane Season: Here's What to Expect..."

I'd expect a few hurricanes, and some tropical depressions...  ;)

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:24:08 am »
To those of you who posted jokes: 
Perhaps none of you live in the path of hurricanes in your part of the country or you wouldn't be making fun of hurricanes.  I lived in their path from the Texas Gulf Coast from 1973 until 2014.  I kept up to date with Joe Bastardi's predictions (he is an institution in the science of weather prediction).  I had my preparations for hurricanes/tornados year round so I wouldn't have to panic like most people do when a hurricane is on the way or during tornado warnings.  At this time, I am not in a hurricane path and there is a feeling of relief about that.  Tornados are still a possibility so I have preps for that.

When people die in tornados, it is usually due to brain damage.  If you live where tornados happen, each family member should have a helmet.  When there is a warning, put on the helmets.  That is a simple thing to do and could save the life of a family member.

If you don't have a safe room (one without windows), a fairly safe place is behind a couch.  If something falls on the top of the couch, it will hit the top of the couch and be deflected from the back of the couch.  I had to do that once as the house where I was had no room without windows; I crouched behind a couch with sofa cushions on top of me holding my Yorkie, plus I had two water bottles and a first aid kit there, while tornado winds sounding like a locomotive came over the house.  Shingles came off the house but the roof stayed on.  One tree was leaning toward the house so that had to be taken down.  Others in that county were not so lucky as trees came down in houses and people got hurt.
@Quix
@CatherinofAragon
@Freya
@Suppressed
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:24:51 am by Victoria33 »

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 08:07:40 am »
I used to live in hurricane/tornado country. Got to sit through Hugo in '89.
I decided then that it wasn't much fun looking out my window and watching the world go by at 130 mph.

That's why I'm in Arizona now.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 12:38:04 pm »
I predict more of this....

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 05:51:23 pm »
To those of you who posted jokes: 
Perhaps none of you live in the path of hurricanes in your part of the country or you wouldn't be making fun of hurricanes.  I lived in their path from the Texas Gulf Coast from 1973 until 2014.  I kept up to date with Joe Bastardi's predictions (he is an institution in the science of weather prediction).  I had my preparations for hurricanes/tornados year round so I wouldn't have to panic like most people do when a hurricane is on the way or during tornado warnings.  At this time, I am not in a hurricane path and there is a feeling of relief about that.  Tornados are still a possibility so I have preps for that.

When people die in tornados, it is usually due to brain damage.  If you live where tornados happen, each family member should have a helmet.  When there is a warning, put on the helmets.  That is a simple thing to do and could save the life of a family member.

If you don't have a safe room (one without windows), a fairly safe place is behind a couch.  If something falls on the top of the couch, it will hit the top of the couch and be deflected from the back of the couch.  I had to do that once as the house where I was had no room without windows; I crouched behind a couch with sofa cushions on top of me holding my Yorkie, plus I had two water bottles and a first aid kit there, while tornado winds sounding like a locomotive came over the house.  Shingles came off the house but the roof stayed on.  One tree was leaning toward the house so that had to be taken down.  Others in that county were not so lucky as trees came down in houses and people got hurt.
@Quix
@CatherinofAragon
@Freya
@Suppressed

Hi @Victoria33 and everyone-

I survived Irene and Sandy. I'd never joke about a hurricane. Never been in a tornado.

Sorry I'm late with this thread, spent the day with my mom yesterday, and today I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open.

I'm going back to sleep. I can't remember ever being this tired.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 06:47:24 pm »
I survived Irene and Sandy. I'd never joke about a hurricane. Never been in a tornado.  Sorry I'm late with this thread, spent the day with my mom yesterday, and today I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open.
@Freya

Staying all day at any kind of hospital/rehab./nursing home place, wears one out.  There is the concern for the family member that keeps muscles/mind tense, and there is no place to really rest.  I had my husband in five hospitals in a six month period in the hottest temperature ever experienced in that county - 30 days of 105-107 temps with no rain.  I was at a hospital or rehab. hospital every day in that heat, getting in a furnace in the car sitting out all day, and when I got home, I was too hot to eat.  I lost 10 lbs. during that time.  One doc who was our family doctor, saw me near the end of that time, and he said, "You need to eat, you are too skinny."  Easy for him to say, but hard for me to do.  His sister and her husband would come and go get food to bring to the house and I could eat with them there, not having to get outside in the high heat for that period of time..

I had numerous types of pink roses in my small garden then, twenty separate plants and the back fence was covered with climbing ones, and that heat scalded all on the fence and they died first and only two separate rose plants lived even though I was putting water to all of them.

Many of us have been where you are, taking care of a family member.  Your Mom will eventually get out of the rehab. hospital and things will calm down for you. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 07:14:13 pm »

I survived Irene and Sandy. I'd never joke about a hurricane. Never been in a tornado.

Sorry I'm late with this thread, spent the day with my mom yesterday, and today I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open.

@Freya

Get good rest... be careful not to get sick from exhaustion!  But you're an angel, helping your mom's recovery.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 09:40:54 pm »
@Freya

Staying all day at any kind of hospital/rehab./nursing home place, wears one out.  There is the concern for the family member that keeps muscles/mind tense, and there is no place to really rest.  I had my husband in five hospitals in a six month period in the hottest temperature ever experienced in that county - 30 days of 105-107 temps with no rain.  I was at a hospital or rehab. hospital every day in that heat, getting in a furnace in the car sitting out all day, and when I got home, I was too hot to eat.  I lost 10 lbs. during that time.  One doc who was our family doctor, saw me near the end of that time, and he said, "You need to eat, you are too skinny."  Easy for him to say, but hard for me to do.  His sister and her husband would come and go get food to bring to the house and I could eat with them there, not having to get outside in the high heat for that period of time..

I had numerous types of pink roses in my small garden then, twenty separate plants and the back fence was covered with climbing ones, and that heat scalded all on the fence and they died first and only two separate rose plants lived even though I was putting water to all of them.

Many of us have been where you are, taking care of a family member.  Your Mom will eventually get out of the rehab. hospital and things will calm down for you.

She'll be home today. My sister drove out from manhattan this morning to Handle it all since se was listed as mom's next of kin. I think I overdid it walking and I joined a gym, since I lost 60 lbs since August. I don't need the walker anymore to walk, but the pain is much greater. I have a script for an opiod based pain med but I'm trying not to use it even though I want to. I'm almost screaming from the pain. I hear it's going to make my recovery much worse.

Too much driving to get to mom these last three week, I think my body just wants to chillax. I'm good. I've been taping "Victoria" off PBS. I'm good. :)

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 09:42:58 pm »
Back on topic- isn't it strange how there's been no hurricanes lately?

I mean big ones like categories Sandy, Katrina, Irene, etc.

But a lot of earthquakes in places like Oklahoma. And wacky weather in California?

I'm blaming the groundhog.  22222frying pan
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:46:04 pm by Freya »

rangerrebew

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 09:50:50 pm »
I predict a devastating hurricane will destroy NYC in 2015.  Huh?  St. Algore has already predicted that one? 888oops888