Author Topic: How 1-Year Space Mission Affected Astronaut Twin Scott Kelly: Early Results  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Just_Victor

Source: Space.com
http://www.space.com/35527-nasa-astronaut-twins-study-early-results.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+spaceheadlines+%28SPACE.com+Headline+Feed%29

By Mike Wall, Space.com Senior Writer |  February 1, 2017 06:30am ET

Spending a year in space affected former NASA astronaut Scott Kelly's body in subtle but potentially significant ways, new research suggests.

Kelly and cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko flew the first-ever yearlong mission aboard the International Space Station (ISS), wrapping up the flight with a touchdown on the steppes of Kazakhstan last March. The goal of the project — which is ongoing, in the data-analysis phase — is to gauge the physiological and psychological impacts of long-duration spaceflight, to help prepare for crewed missions to Mars and other distant destinations.

Part of this work involves Scott Kelly's identical twin brother Mark — a former NASA astronaut who flew on four space shuttle missions. Mark stayed on the ground during Scott's yearlong flight, serving as an experimental control that would allow scientists to detect genetic changes that spaceflight induced in Scott. [By the Numbers: Astronaut Scott Kelly's Year-in-Space Mission]

Multiple research teams are working to suss out those changes, as part of the NASA Twins Study. And the early results — which scientists detailed last week at the NASA Human Research Program’s annual "Investigators’ Workshop" in Galveston, Texas — have already highlighted some interesting developments.

For example, one team found that the telomeres — the regions at the ends of chromosomes — in Scott Kelly's white blood cells got longer during the mission. Telomeres help protect chromosomes from deterioration, and they get shorter over the decades as people age.

Scott's telomere lengthening "could be linked to increased exercise and reduced caloric intake during the mission," NASA officials wrote in a description of the newly announced findings.

"However, upon his return to Earth, they began to shorten again," the officials added. "Interestingly, telomerase activity (the enzyme that repairs the telomeres and lengthens them) increased in both twins in November, which may be related to a significant, stressful family event happening around that time."

more...

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Just_Victor

@kevindavis

For your Space ping list
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Personally I thought this was a waste of time and money. More publicity stunt than science.

We already know about the detrimental effects of living in zero G. It would have been far more worthwhile to test "spin gravity" or something.

I had a chat with Homer Hickam on twitter about this at the time and he said that a pretty small fraction of gravity was sufficient. However he made it pretty clear that he's agitated about the fact that we're still hanging around in LEO and that the moon should be an independent entity by now.

Offline kevindavis007

Personally I thought this was a waste of time and money. More publicity stunt than science.

We already know about the detrimental effects of living in zero G. It would have been far more worthwhile to test "spin gravity" or something.

I had a chat with Homer Hickam on twitter about this at the time and he said that a pretty small fraction of gravity was sufficient. However he made it pretty clear that he's agitated about the fact that we're still hanging around in LEO and that the moon should be an independent entity by now.

So I'm not the only who thought it was a waste of time..  You are right we should be focusing on artificial gravity..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/