Author Topic: February 1, 1972: First scientific hand-held calculator, the HP-35, introduced for $395.  (Read 4061 times)

Oceander

What's $395 in today's money?  My guess is it's at least $700 if not more. 

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

According to this it's over 2 grand:

http://www.carinsurancedata.org/calculators/inflation/395/1972

Online Lando Lincoln

I bought a TI-SR11 at about the same time for $179.  Big, BIG decision.  It was not nearly as powerful as the HP - it had pi, square root, reciprocal, exponent, and a constant function.  It was touted as a slide rule calculator.  I hated the HP during an exam.  Their buttons clicked and being surrounded by the "click-click-click" was very distracting.

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Forum member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-35

My dad was running a manufacturing plant and bought one for the whole front office to share. Maybe 4 years later, we were at a checkout and he noticed the same calculator in a bubble pack for about $12.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

$2135.20  Wow!

Oceander

Very cool. I have always loved HP calculators. Always regretted that I sold the venerable HP 15c that I used in college. About a year ago I replaced it with one off of eBay. Had to do a little work to it to fix some sticking keys, but now it's almost as good as new.

You sold a 15c!!!!!!  At least you atoned for that blasphemy by rescuing another from eBay!  :smokin:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I just couldn't think in Reverse Polish Notation. :thud:

Oceander

Maybe it's just me, but I picked up RPN pretty quickly and I find non-RPN calculators to be obnoxious, particularly when you have to use parentheses.  With RPN you're just operating on a stack.

Offline Joe Wooten

Maybe it's just me, but I picked up RPN pretty quickly and I find non-RPN calculators to be obnoxious, particularly when you have to use parentheses.  With RPN you're just operating on a stack.

I guess I'm mentally ambidextrous. I had no problem using wither RPN or non-RPN calculators. I used mostly TI calculators in college because they were cheaper. I had a SR-51 until 1978 when I spilled a beer on it, then I bought a TI-59 I used until it crapped out in 1983. I then bought a Sharp EL-5500III that I still use occasionally.

Offline r9etb

Once you get used to it, it's really hard to go back to "regular" calculators....

I bought an HP41CX in college for $300 after trying to crunch one lab's worth of wind tunnel data with a "regular" calculator.  Saved my ass, it did.

I loved that calculator. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:39:01 pm by r9etb »

Offline montanajoe

What seemed more amazing to me was that in 78 I picked up a HP31E for about 40 bucks and used it for another 15 years. Hated switching from RPN...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:39:14 pm by montanajoe »

Offline Frank Cannon

February 2, 1972 someone figured out you could write words on it....

Offline Joe Wooten

Once you get used to it, it's really hard to go back to "regular" calculators....

I bought an HP41CX in college for $300 after trying to crunch one lab's worth of wind tunnel data with a "regular" calculator.  Saved my ass, it did.

I loved that calculator.

My senior year at UT I had an Energy Systems class that had us analyzing several different components/systems used in power plants. One of the things we did was run tests on a configurable heat exchanger we could run as a 1-2, 2-4, 4-6 counterflow and parallel flow heat exchanger. The lab has just bought a new BASIC computer/Data Acquisition System to take  and reduce the data from each run. About halfway through the class that day, the computer crapped out and it could not be re-booted. The professor was about to cancel for the day, when I volunteered to use my TI-59 and printer to do it instead. It took me about 20 minutes to write and debug the program, and then the other guys in the class would call out the data to me and I would enter it. It took a lot longer than the computer/DAS would have, but it did save us from having to come in on a Saturday to finish the test.

Offline r9etb

February 2, 1972 someone figured out you could write words on it....

I was particularly fond of the number "80085"

Offline r9etb

I volunteered to use my TI-59 and printer to do it instead. It took me about 20 minutes to write and debug the program, and then the other guys in the class would call out the data to me and I would enter it. It took a lot longer than the computer/DAS would have, but it did save us from having to come in on a Saturday to finish the test.

Sweet.

Oceander

I was particularly fond of the number "80085"

Or 58008.618

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I still have an HP 12C

and a TI Business Analyst II

I think those can both still be purchased.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

Looks like I found out where the math nerds were hiding today!

Can you post up picks of your Pocket Protectors?

:smokin:

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

This calc was before my time, but I fondly remember my TI-80 and writing programs for it.

Offline mirraflake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-35

I bought the Hp-70??? model in late 70's. Looked nearly like the one in the photo. It was $85

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Lando Lincoln

That's hurtful.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

Or

It's too bad they didn't have them in hex notation!

Online Lando Lincoln

The "4" is an "h" on those calcs.
John Steinbeck