Author Topic: Iraq war interpreter's elderly mother dies after Trump's travel ban kept her out — despite possessing green card  (Read 1304 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Iraq war interpreter's elderly mother dies after Trump's travel ban kept her out — despite possessing green card
BY Chris Sommerfeldt    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS  Updated: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 5:13 AM

An Iraq war contractor claims President Trump’s controversial travel ban caused his mother's death.

Mike Hager fled his native Iraq during the Gulf War and lived as a refugee for four years before finally moving to the U.S. and gaining American citizenship. On Friday, Hager was waiting in line at an airport in Iraq, where he had traveled together with some relatives to help his sick mother — a U.S. green card holder — get back to Detroit for treatment.

But Hager was the only one of his family members allowed through at the border — and his mother, stranded at the Iraqi airport, passed away the next day, according to WJBK-TV.

Continued: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/elderly-iraqi-woman-dies-trump-travel-ban-article-1.2961110

Offline TomSea

Sad; I know some waivers had been issued.

Offline TomSea

Nigeria is not even on the block list: but here, a pregant mom had to be turned back because of not having the correct paperwork; and likewise, that was tragic:
'My children are priceless' Tragedy of Nigerian health tourist who lost two of her newborn quadruplets after going into labour on plane to Heathrow when she was turned away from US – at £500k cost to Brit taxpayers

She had flown to Chicago where she has family to give birth after her gynaecologist warned against having quads in Nigeria.

But she was turned away for having the wrong paperwork.

More: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2753786/nigerian-health-tourists-tragedy-as-two-newborn-quadruplets-die-when-she-goes-into-labour-on-plane-to-heathrow-after-us-turn-her-away-costing-taxpayer-500k/

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I'm sure the press will find every grandmother connected to the ban who passed away (admittedly tragic), while they probably looked the other way for Obama's ban.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If she was that sick, why did he leave her?

In any case, all this means is that she died in an Iraqi airport rather than in a U.S. airport.  One day would not have made a difference.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Nigeria is not even on the block list: but here, a pregant mom had to be turned back because of not having the correct paperwork; and likewise, that was tragic:

Is the implication that those two babies died because the mother had to give birth in a British hospital rather than an American one?  Because I noticed that the article doesn't actually claim that to be the case.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:07:30 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline TomSea

Is the implication that those two babies died because the mother had to give birth in a British hospital rather than an American one?  Because I noticed that the article doesn't actually claim that to be the case.
No, I don't think that's the implication. They couldn't get her to medical care in time is the way it looks to me.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm sure the press will find every grandmother connected to the ban who passed away (admittedly tragic), while they probably looked the other way for Obama's ban.

Obama's "ban" halted people from applying for Visas which is 18-24 months before travel.  Trumps ban prevents people who already have Visas and green cards which means they were legally permitted to enter the US.

The visa issue is the one people on both sides are having a problem with.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Obama's "ban" halted people from applying for Visas which is 18-24 months before travel.  Trumps ban prevents people who already have Visas and green cards which means they were legally permitted to enter the US.

The visa issue is the one people on both sides are having a problem with.

Didn't he rescind the green card aspect of this EO?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Sad stories.

That's the hard part of being a leader, making hard decisions.  A leader has to act in ways that benefit the country as a whole, without trying to micromanage each individual.

My thinking is that the green card holders that were impacted by this - were being detained for background checks.  A lot of these people were issued these cards by the Obama administration - and we know that their standards were meager, at best.  As far as I know, most of them were free to come here after that.  I don't see a problem with that, but I'm not a knee-jerk snowflake that responds to every cue my evil masters give me. 

These two cases, the babies and old woman, were going to die anyway.  Sad, but not worth risking our country's security over.  There's a new sheriff in town - and this one ain't trying to help terrorists. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Is this the same guy whose own IMAM has come out saying the guy lied, that his mother died the week before even gave the order?