Author Topic: Dressing for Concealed Carry  (Read 2558 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Dressing for Concealed Carry
« on: January 30, 2017, 01:48:18 am »
It’s amazing to me how poorly many of my fellow police officers conceal their off-duty gun. It’s as though they are content with any garment as long as it drapes over the gun to some degree. Perhaps this cavalier attitude stems from the idea that anything is less conspicuous than carrying their full-size duty pistols while on the job. What many fail to realize is that there’s a big difference between their gun being covered and being concealed.

Successful concealed carry requires more than mere fabric covering your handgun. The better you hide the fact that you’re packing, the more likely you are to maintain the element of surprise, which plays a huge role in most armed confrontations. Concealed carry is about finding the perfect balance of concealment and accessibility. Too far in either direction could be detrimental to your health.

I’ve carried a concealed handgun for more than 17 years and still experiment with different combinations of gun, holster and cover garments in attempt to find a better way to conceal a particular gun while at the same time ensuring I can access it in a hurry.

The maxim “dress around the gun” is well-known in concealed carry circles. The idea being that with substantial enough attire one can adequately conceal any type of handgun. The problem here lies in that your mode of dress must be congruent with what others are wearing to avoid drawing undue attention.

I have to admit that as a rookie police officer I didn’t give much thought to concealed carry clothing, and in the beginning I toted a full-size Glock in a fanny pack. I’m pretty sure fanny packs fell out of fashion about the same time as acid-washed jeans and aviator sunglasses, but, nevertheless, my fanny pack enabled me to conceal my gun plus a couple spare magazines and still be able to draw either relatively quickly. Of course, that I wore that pack at all was cause for suspicion—of my fashion sense, if nothing else.

Consider this timelier example of a concealed carry fashion dilemma. In North Dakota in February, a heavy jacket might enable you to easily conceal a full-size concealed carry pistol worn comfortably in an outside-the-waistband holster. The jacket wouldn’t garner any extra attention because everyone else would be dressed similarly. But that same jacket would be an epic concealed carry failure if you wore it in California on a warm summer day. Sure, your concealed carry gun would be hidden, but you’d likely be miserable, and the mere fact that you were wearing such inappropriate attire for the environment you were in would surely bring unwanted stares.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/concealed-carry/dressing-for-concealed-carry/#ixzz4XCnh6VXr
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:48:37 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Dressing for Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:06:21 am »
I'm fairly slim and I live in the warm South so I carry small pocket pistols.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:08:37 am »
I'm fairly slim and I live in the warm South so I carry small pocket pistols.

I'm considering getting like a small .38 for the summer time. All I have right now is a compact 1911. Not sure how well I'll be able to hide it with shorts and a t-shirt.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 02:16:26 am »
How about a Cane Gun?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:21:43 am »
How about a Cane Gun?

If my knee keeps acting up when I run that might be a good option 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:08:54 am »
It’s amazing to me how poorly many of my fellow police officers conceal their off-duty gun. It’s as though they are content with any garment as long as it drapes over the gun to some degree. Perhaps this cavalier attitude stems from the idea that anything is less conspicuous than carrying their full-size duty pistols while on the job. What many fail to realize is that there’s a big difference between their gun being covered and being concealed.

Successful concealed carry requires more than mere fabric covering your handgun. The better you hide the fact that you’re packing, the more likely you are to maintain the element of surprise, which plays a huge role in most armed confrontations. Concealed carry is about finding the perfect balance of concealment and accessibility. Too far in either direction could be detrimental to your health.

I’ve carried a concealed handgun for more than 17 years and still experiment with different combinations of gun, holster and cover garments in attempt to find a better way to conceal a particular gun while at the same time ensuring I can access it in a hurry.

The maxim “dress around the gun” is well-known in concealed carry circles. The idea being that with substantial enough attire one can adequately conceal any type of handgun. The problem here lies in that your mode of dress must be congruent with what others are wearing to avoid drawing undue attention.

I have to admit that as a rookie police officer I didn’t give much thought to concealed carry clothing, and in the beginning I toted a full-size Glock in a fanny pack. I’m pretty sure fanny packs fell out of fashion about the same time as acid-washed jeans and aviator sunglasses, but, nevertheless, my fanny pack enabled me to conceal my gun plus a couple spare magazines and still be able to draw either relatively quickly. Of course, that I wore that pack at all was cause for suspicion—of my fashion sense, if nothing else.

Consider this timelier example of a concealed carry fashion dilemma. In North Dakota in February, a heavy jacket might enable you to easily conceal a full-size concealed carry pistol worn comfortably in an outside-the-waistband holster. The jacket wouldn’t garner any extra attention because everyone else would be dressed similarly. But that same jacket would be an epic concealed carry failure if you wore it in California on a warm summer day. Sure, your concealed carry gun would be hidden, but you’d likely be miserable, and the mere fact that you were wearing such inappropriate attire for the environment you were in would surely bring unwanted stares.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/concealed-carry/dressing-for-concealed-carry/#ixzz4XCnh6VXr
In winter, I keep a S&W .38 (airweight, hammerless) in the parka pocket. I figure if I need it, it will likely be very close and I can shoot right through the parka if need be. I can get a new coat. In North Dakota in summer, though, it gets pretty hot, too (90s and occasionally triple digits are not uncommon). Even the lightest jacket is cause for suspicion. I had one of these http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/kel-tec-pf-9-review/ for summer carry and I liked it, but it was stolen. (I know who, and they don't show their face on my property, but I can't prove it.) I'm going to have to get another...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 12:30:18 am »
Strangely enough I find it easier to dress around the gun in the summer than in the winter. In the summer I am usually in cargo shorts and an un-tucked shirt. Easily hides a IWB holster for my Shield or XDs.  I will even pocket carry occasionally with my LCP, and even the Shield and the XDS if I wear the right slacks or shorts.

The difference is my winter shirts are usually tucked in so I resort to OWB under a jacket which when I go indoors I get too warm so I often just go back to pocket carry as shown below.   The XDs disappears in the right front pocket of these Hagars.

Below is my pocket carry XDS / Shield rotation, both in Alabama Holsters.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn