Author Topic: Concealed carry reciprocity bill comes under fire in South Carolina  (Read 1880 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
A Democratic lawmaker took shots at a bill this week that would make it legal for out-of-staters with concealed carry permits to carry concealed weapons in South Carolina.

At a South Carolina Judiciary subcommittee hearing Thursday, Rep. James Smith criticized House Bill 3240, arguing the bill would ultimately make S.C. residents less safe, The State reports.

Smith, a U.S. Army veteran who served in Afghanistan, cited as evidence for his safety concerns the differing minimum age and training requirements in states such as Alabama. The new bill, Smith argued, would allow untrained 18-year-old Alabamans to carry concealed handguns in S.C. even though South Carolinians must be 21 and complete firearms training and safety classes to obtain permits.

Smith also argued that supporters of the bill should encourage other states who desire reciprocal concealed firearm agreements to require safety training.

“In my own experience, training is important when you are handling a deadly weapon,” Smith said.

Rep. Alan Clemmons, the bill’s lead sponsor, countered Smith’s argument by noting the fact that permit-holding Georgia citizens are already allowed to conceal carry in South Carolina, and Georgia is also a state that does not require training to obtain a permit.

“They, in fact, have added to the peace of South Carolina by coming into the state as peaceful citizens who simply wish to be able to protect themselves and those around them,” Clemmons said at the hearing.

Clemmons also argued the bill would be beneficial for permit-holders in South Carolina, as it would allow them to carry concealed guns in other states with reciprocity agreements.

State Law Enforcement has not yet issued support for the bill, and the S.C. Sheriff’s Association will likely take a position in the near future.

The National Rifle Association has already backed the bill and emailed a statement to The State, which expressed the NRA’s desire for government to grant “law-abiding citizens greater freedom to exercise their 2nd Amendment right to self-protection.”

http://www.guns.com/2017/01/27/concealed-carry-bill-comes-under-fire-in-south-carolina/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Concealed carry reciprocity bill comes under fire in South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:54:21 am »
"“In my own experience, training is important when you are handling a deadly weapon,” Smith said."

I can see Smith's concern. I believe anyone carrying a firearm should be proficient in its use and knowledgeable of the firearm laws. However there are no similar requirements for the carrying of deadly knives.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:01:49 am »
"“In my own experience, training is important when you are handling a deadly weapon,” Smith said."

I can see Smith's concern. I believe anyone carrying a firearm should be proficient in its use and knowledgeable of the firearm laws. However there are no similar requirements for the carrying of deadly knives.

Or baseball bats...which can be just as deadly.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 02:12:21 am »
Or baseball bats...which can be just as deadly.
We just can't let anyone go walking around with one of them Deadly Bats.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:56:26 am »

Sometimes you just have to let the fence wire know who is the boss.

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 03:18:48 am »
Wot about pointed sticks?

nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 03:26:42 am »
Don't forget hammers.